Latest ADOBE AIR update does not update...

Don't know if anyone else has experienced this issue, but I've tried four times to update Adobe Air from both the FileHippo site and the Adobe site. In each case, about halfway through the update, the dialog box generates a small white-lettered message that an error has occurred and the update cannot proceed. It also states I may need Administrator privileges in order to do the update, despite the fact I'm doing the update while logged on under the Windows Default Administrator Account!

Any ideas on this one? (Never had an update problem before either)

Thanks for your time and any thoughts.

Hi, EagleEye:

I just updated from 3.2 to 3.3 on my Win7 (64-bit) desktop without any problem.

A couple thoughts until someone more expert arrives:

1) I would never download anything Adobe from any site other than the official Adobe site, for Air, it's:

http://www.adobe.com/go/getair/

2) You might need to pause your AV to install (although I did not need to do that with KIS).

3) When you download the installer, if you are running Vista or Win7, I would right-click the installer and "run as administrator".

4) If you check the Windows control panel > programs & features after the update, it should list the v 3.3.

5) If all else fails, just UNinstall Air, reboot, download a fresh copy of the installer and try again.

HTH,

daledoc1

Hi EE

I just updated Adobe Air on my Vista w/SP1 32 bit system with zero problems. I didn't even turn off my antivrus or Online Armor.. I reran the install (3rd Snap Pic) to verify that the version did update.

screenhunter01jun101917.gif

screenhunter02jun101918.gif

screenhunter03jun101923.gif

HTH,

Cheers,

Steve

Don't know if anyone else has experienced this issue, but I've tried four times to update Adobe Air from both the FileHippo site and the Adobe site. In each case, about halfway through the update, the dialog box generates a small white-lettered message that an error has occurred and the update cannot proceed. It also states I may need Administrator privileges in order to do the update, despite the fact I'm doing the update while logged on under the Windows Default Administrator Account!

Any ideas on this one? (Never had an update problem before either)

Thanks for your time and any thoughts.

Administrative privileges means running the program by right clicking "Run as Administrator"(in which case the program should request a UAC popup on Vista/7 at the start or during installation) or non limited account. This is a standard error that most programs will give in case you are using a shared computer or limited account for security reasons.

I appreciate each of your respective replies, Daledoc1, Steve, and Buttons!

First, I should mention I'm using WIN XP Pro, SP3, with Outpost Security Suite Pro. All programs (Windows and otherwise are updated...except this Adobe Air). I never had any problem with updating Adobe Air in the past either.

(For Daledoc1): I tried to uninstall the Adobe Air program from the Add/Remove listing in Control Panel...and got the same error message I received when I tried to do the update. It won't let me remove the program either!

(For Steve): I also tried disabling my AV/Firewall. Still could not update or remove the program.

Thanks very much again for your time and feedback!

My apologies for having to re-post...but I neglected to ask this:

Is there any truly NECESSARY reason for me to even have Adobe Air on my computer, or is it something I can easily do without?

Thanks again!

Hi, EagleEye:

Thanks for the update.

Sounds as if something might be corrupted in your Air installation, and/or a "privileges" problem (though you mention you are running from an Admin account).

I'm not any kind of expert, but I don't think one "needs" or "must have" Adobe Air.

However, (as with everything Adobe - Flash Player, Shockwave Player, Reader/Acrobat, Photoshop, etc) it probably would be important from a security standpoint to keep one's installation up to date.

So, having an older, insecure version on your system would seem to be a bit of security vulnerability.

I found this link to an official Adobe webpage with links to various troubleshooting tutorials, including uninstall issues: http://helpx.adobe.c...on-windows.html

Perhaps there's something helpful for you there...

Perhaps you can try to uninstall it from another user account with admin privileges, or perhaps boot into Safe Mode and try to uninstall it that way?

HTH until someone more expert arrives/returns,

daledoc1

PS I just updated my Win7(32-bit) laptop without a problem (though I know this doesn't help you). :(

Thanks again for your efforts, daledoc1! Unfortunately, despite all the massive reading I've done at the link you provided...my eyes are bulging out of their sockets & I'm frankly pissed to no end about this blasted issue...and none of the suggestions given at the link have worked. I tried using a 2nd Admin account to uninstall the program...that didn't work either.

Adobe seems to DELIBERATELY make it impossible to contact them for help or to report this issue. I've never seen such a d**ned run-around by a business like Adobe in all my life! Gets me how they even stay in business!

There's nothing more I can do. The current Adobe Air will just have to remain on my computer as it is.

Thanks for the help anyway.

My apologies for having to re-post...but I neglected to ask this:

Is there any truly NECESSARY reason for me to even have Adobe Air on my computer, or is it something I can easily do without?

Thanks again!

The only thing on my computer that I'm aware of that actually uses ADOBE AIR is my Bright House (cable company) "Easy Gadget" that pops up when I get a phone call and also maintains a call log. I think I've seen, at one time or another, an additional "gadget" that used it but I can't remember.. ADOBE AIR is certainly NOT a matter or life or death. :)

Since you've done everything possible I'd do what I do when something won't work.. BRUTE FRAKING DELETION of the sub-directory where your copy resides. :D

This is the path to ADOBE AIR's DLL.. (See where the arrow is pointing) I have no idea why it shows Version 1.0 because, as you can see, the "dll" file date is yesterday when I upgraded it to 3.3

screenhunter02jun111306.gif

Delete the whole ADOBE AIR sub-directory and sub-sub-directories; reboot; then try installing ADOBE AIR again..

Cheers,

Steve

If that doesn't work I'll show you where the registry entry is.

Greetings again Steve,

Just wanted to let you know your latest instructions have finally removed the Adobe Air program from my machine! Given the major problem I've just had with it...I think I'll hold off on downloading the current version...especially since it doesn't appear it's going to make much of a difference in my computer's function(s). It would probably just end up causing me even more problems down the road!

Thanks very much again for all the help from you and everyone else! :)

Greetings again Steve,

Just wanted to let you know your latest instructions have finally removed the Adobe Air program from my machine! Given the major problem I've just had with it...I think I'll hold off on downloading the current version...especially since it doesn't appear it's going to make much of a difference in my computer's function(s). It would probably just end up causing me even more problems down the road!

Thanks very much again for all the help from you and everyone else! :)

The pleasure of helping the appreciative few that try our suggestions is a warm reward indeed. You are MOST welcome and I'm glad my "fix" helped you. ;) Usually DD or a few others are of more help as they use finesse whereas I do more of the square peg in the round hole stuff fixes myself. *grin*

Take care, my friend,

Steve

i tried out adobe AIR ... once .

it was designed to allow sharing of pdf work and conferencing (basically) .

after registering and some hoop-jumping i managed to link up with a friend of mine ...

the sharing of the pdfs was a PITA to work with .

is it a "must have" program ?

in a nutshell : no .

as shywriter mentioned , unless some program specifically uses it there is no need to install it .

i have removed it from some computers by using "revo uninstaller pro" ...

i used the advanced mode and that removed all the folders and files .

I appreciate your taking the time to provide the helpful feedback CWB! Every bit certainly helps build one's knowledge base for future reference! (And, mine can certainly use some building-up)!

Best regards!

i have removed it from some computers by using "revo uninstaller pro" ...

i used the advanced mode and that removed all the folders and files .

Yup, Revo was going to be my next suggestion, had Shy's more "direct" approach not been offered. ;)

Just another one of those increasingly problematic Adobe applications to keep up-to-date & to present removal challenges. :angry:

Ever since Adobe bought Macromedia, it's been a downhill slide.

(FYI Current Flash update 11.3 (with its new "protected mode") doesn't allow videos to play in Firefox on Vista/Win7 without a hack to turn off the new feature. Just the latest aggravation...)

And, yes, I agree, they can be one the absolutely WORST companies from which to try to obtain tech support, even when one pays $100s for their software!

I might follow your path, EagleEye & CWB, and just uninstall Air!

daledoc1

Hey again daledoc1!

It's certainly refreshing to know I'm not alone in my sentiments with this Adobe issue! Fortunately, I almost never look at videos either in IE8 or FF. (Otherwise...I'd probably be posting back here again with yet ANOTHER Adobe problem!!).

Have a good one! :D

I've used Revo Uninstaller Pro for years.. The only reason I didn't suggest it to you was you seemed at the end of your rope and I didn't want you to have to download one piece of software and install it to fix another. ;) I actually used that program to find the path of the files I gave you that you needed to delete to get rid of Adobe Air.

Steve

Thanks for the follow-up, Steve! You're right on target about my not having to download one piece of software just to get rid of another too!

Best regards,