High CPU usage

My mbamservice.exe is running in the background and is consuming a very large percentage of my CPU time. This leaves my computer so starved of operating resources that it staggers to do what I want it to.

Does this program eventually terminate of its own accord and let me get on with my own life?

Hello and welcome to MBAM:

The high CPU usage could be caused by a failure to set the reciprocal exclusions between your AV and MBAM.

Starting with "first things first": :)

What version of MBAM?

What is your Windows OS version & SP and is it 32-bit or 64-bit?

And what AV/firewall/security programs (and their VERSIONS) are you running?

Are you experiencing any other abnormal behavior suggestive of infection (popups, IP blocks, program or system crashes, etc)?

daledoc1

Hello and welcome to MBAM:

The high CPU usage could be caused by a failure to set the reciprocal exclusions between your AV and MBAM.

Starting with "first things first": :)

What version of MBAM?

What is your Windows OS version & SP and is it 32-bit or 64-bit?

And what AV/firewall/security programs (and their VERSIONS) are you running?

Are you experiencing any other abnormal behavior suggestive of infection (popups, IP blocks, program or system crashes, etc)?

daledoc1

Hello Dale,

Version is 1.60.0.1800 shown as Trial with 10 days left, but I think I have another version which I bought.

Windows XP SP3 32 bit

Avira anti-virus Premium

This problem has only developed in the last few days with no evident reason.

Hi, Hobartangel:

Thanks for the info.

Since you didn't mention that you think you might be infected, but since you are not sure what version you are running, please do the following:

• If you are using MBAM PRO, be sure to have your license ID and key handy first. (If you are only using the trial version of PRO, this does not apply to you.)
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here.
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so (very important!).
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here.
    Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license ID & key you were sent via email, if you are using the PRO version.
  • Launch MBAM and set the Protection and Registration (if using the PRO version).
  • Then go to the UPDATE tab (if not done during installation) and check for updates.
  • Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray (if using the PRO version).
  • Now set up any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications. Then restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQs here, or use the specific instructions listed below.

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in Avira on 32 bit Windows Versions:

1. Open Avira and click on Local Protection on the left
  2. Click on Realtime Protection
  3. Click on Configuration on the upper right
  4. Click the checkbox next to Expert mode on the upper left so that it is checked
  5. Under Guard, click the + next to Scan to expand the list
  6. Click on Exceptions
  7. Under Processes to be omitted by the Guard click the ... button next to the blank white box
  8. In the browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  9. Double-click on mbam.exe then click the Add button
  10. Repeat steps 7-9 for the following files:
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

[*]Click on Apply

[*]Close Avira's window

Set Exclusions for Avira in Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

• Open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click on the Ignore List tab
  • Click the Add button on the lower left
  • In the small browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files and click once on Avira and click OK
  • Close Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Please post back and let us know if this resolves your issue.

Thanks!

daledoc1

PS Please use the zMn2t.jpg button instead of other ones when you reply here and at the other forums, so that it will be easier to read. :)

Thankyou for the very prompt service.

I have done as you suggested above despite there being no "Realtime Protection" button, and several other minor absences. I had to explore and try this and that, and by the look of it I've done what you recommended - however my CPU usage is still high as if I'd done nothing to remedy the problem. mbamservice.exe still ranges between 3% and 33% of my CPU's activity.

Maybe after I terminate this session and then restart tomorrow the changes will be evident.

Hi -

There is no way that a Free Unregistered version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware can cause any CPU usage -

It will only be an on-call Scanner and not operating in the background at any time, unless scanning.

Did you uninstall as per the directions by daledoc1 ??

Thank You -

EDIT -

Are you really an angel from Hobart ?

• Root Admin

Version is 1.60.0.1800 shown as Trial with 10 days left, but I think I have another version which I bought.

Please download and run MBAM-CLEAN but temporarily do not reinstall the product.

http://malwarebytes.org/mbam-clean.exe

Let it reboot your computer to finish the clean removal process.

Then run the following and post back both logs.

Download
DDS
from here:
dds.scr
or here:
dds.com
and save it to your desktop.

Temporarily disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.

Once downloaded you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.

Then double click
dds.scr
or
dds.com
to run the tool, on
Vista or Win 7
right click and select
Run as administrator

Click the
Run
button if prompted with an
Open File - Security Warning
dialog box.

A black DOS console should open and run for a moment.

When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:

1. DDS.txt

2. Attach.txt

• Save both reports to your desktop
  • Please include the following logs in your next reply:
    DDS.txt
    and
    Attach.txt

You can ignore the note about zipping the Attach.txt file in most cases.

Hi -

There is no way that a Free Unregistered version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware can cause any CPU usage -

It will only be an on-call Scanner and not operating in the background at any time, unless scanning.

Did you uninstall as per the directions by daledoc1 ??

Thank You -

EDIT -

Are you really an angel from Hobart ?

As I understand things, every program including mbamservice.exe will use a computer's CPU. What else is it that operates a computer's brain?

Yes, I followed Dale's instructions and I'm pleased that CPU activity is currently operating at between 4% and 25% with a mean of maybe 12%. This is about half the intensity level before I complied with Dale's instructions.

For full-time continuous scanning protection that reduced level is acceptable - and thanks to Dale's capable and very well presented assistance, and this reduced CPU rate, I'll probably buy the program within the next few days.

I suspect that all my 120 Gigabytes of HDD files are still being scanned and that this level of usage will continue until a full scan is completed. I don't know what will happen then - maybe the program will take a rest before gathering steam and repeating the cycle.

Yes, I live in Hobart, Tasmania, Australia - but whether or not I'm an angel is naturally a matter of opinion!

As I understand things, every program including mbamservice.exe will use a computer's CPU.

Hi again -

If you would like AdvancedSetup to give your system a quick checkup then you can follow his directions above.

The Free Unregistered version is only using process when it is scanning (on demand only) -

While the Registered Pro version is scanning in the background like your Antivirus program should be -

The last bit was only because where I live on the Victorian coast, I can see the Princess of Tasmania departing from Port Phillip Heads :)

Regards -

Hi again -

If you would like AdvancedSetup to give your system a quick checkup then you can follow his directions above.

The Free Unregistered version is only using process when it is scanning (on demand only) -

While the Registered Pro version is scanning in the background like your Antivirus program should be -

The last bit was only because where I live on the Victorian coast, I can see the Princess of Tasmania departing from Port Phillip Heads :)

Regards -

It seems to me that the Trial Version, if set to scan continuously, actually does so. This is indicated by the CPU activity listed against mbamservice.exe which has further decreased to quite acceptable levels. One can disable this - and other listed scan functions too. I think MalwareBytes engineers know what they are doing. I'll buy the full product any day now.

My Avira antivirus program (which is excellent!) does indeed scan in the background - just as you recommend.

Fares on the Spirit of Tasmania are quite high in this, the peak summer season, and this deters some would-be travellers.

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I am noticing a similar problem. I am running Windows 8.1 (64bit) and Vipre AV.

I have been getting cpu use at very varying levels, but going as high as 60%.

I have purchased the premium version.

Is there a how to for setting it up so that it is more moderate in it's use - otherwise I will have to turn it off to work, which seems crazy.

Many thanks,

Nick

Hello and :welcome: , NickDunc:

This topic is nearly 2 and a half years old, and discusses a long-ago-outdated version of MBAM.

It's generally frowned upon in computer fora to reply to such an ancient thread. :(

Moreover, since each computer is unique, it's best to start a new thread for each computer, even when the problem sounds "the same".

Having said that:

First, please be sure that your AV and firewall both give MBAM full permissions.

It's possible that your AV or firewall might be treating the new build as a new program and may be blocking it -- the files that need to be excluded can be found HERE. Please post back if you need help with doing that.

If that doesn't don't resolve your issue:

Please post back and let us know how it goes.

Thanks,