Defraging Registry

IDKWatMNShouldBe

• Root Admin

Yes, there is always a risk when dealing with the registry as it is the heart and soul of Windows.

Make sure you back up the registry first.

That said there is very little benefit in most cases to defragging the registry. About the only case is maybe if you have a 5 year old computer that you install, remove tons of software on and such then it might provide some minor benefit but it would be minor at best.

Ok thanks guys!

I never really delete registry keys unless if they were part of a software that I uninstalled a long time ago.

So defragging your registry isn't as risky as deleting right?

Because I was using advanced system care v5 and it had some options for cleaning registry and defraging, I disabled cleaning registry but I want to make sure about defragging

So defragging your registry isn't as risky as deleting right?

Not quite as risky, but if the power goes out or something else bad happens when writing the changes to the registry then it can completely destroy the registry. Of course, that can happen any time Windows is saving the registry hives to the disk, so regular backups are always recommended, and always make sure to have a fresh backup before you go messing with the registry.

Because I was using advanced system care v5 and it had some options for cleaning registry and defraging, I disabled cleaning registry but I want to make sure about defragging

IObit? I thought I had read something about a year ago about TuneUp Corporation accusing them of stealing tech for their "Advanced System Care", but I am unable to find the article now. Maybe it was a mistake, because there was an issue with them stealing large portions of the interface from TuneUp Utilities for their IObit toolbox, and then of course the incident where they stole tech from Malwarebytes and other security companies, so it is possible that someone got a bit confused and mixed up which software contained parts of TuneUp Utilities.

Hopefully IObit is running a legit business these days, but personally I still try to avoid their software.

Hopefully IObit is running a legit business these days, but personally I still try to avoid their software.

After using the programs many assorted bits and pieces, even if it is legal it has not yet improved.

Scouring the various forums, one of the most offered bits of advice is still - Remove IObit Programs - (Good advice too)

See http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/ for the best uninstaller of their programs -