Hello to the forum

XMalware

Hello,

I am new to this forum, but am not new to computer technology. I have been in the computer profession since 1979, so that means I have almost 33 years in the business. I remember having a computer come in with the Brain boot sector virus and soon after the Stoned! virus. Well they have come a long way since those days and today's malware could be classified as cyberterrorism. It's potential to affect others on a mass scale is unprecedented. I feel it is time to give back to the industry, with what little spare time I can find.

Hopefully I can learn some thing from here, and maybe my experience will be of help to others.

XMalware

Hello,

I am new to this forum, but am not new to computer technology. I have been in the computer profession since 1979, so that means I have almost 33 years in the business. I remember having a computer come in with the Brain boot sector virus and soon after the Stoned! virus. Well they have come a long way since those days and today's malware could be classified as cyberterrorism. It's potential to affect others on a mass scale is unprecedented. I feel it is time to give back to the industry, with what little spare time I can find.

Hopefully I can learn some thing from here, and maybe my experience will be of help to others.

XMalware

All Today's malware can't be considered "cyberterrorism." Some, yes. Majority, no.

When we saw the Brain boot sector and the Stoned virus it was all about bragging rights. Today's malware mass goal is monetary profit.

There are however facets of "cyberterrorism" such as the Stuxnet which was a true cyber missile aimed at the Iranian centrifuges, the attacks by Russia against the former Soviet block country Georgia and the hacktevism we see for all sorts of political reasons and the PRC state malware created by the PLA.

Thanks David, I would agree, not all malware is cyberterrorism.

But malware has certainly reached a level where it can achieve the aims of cyberterrorists.

XMalware

There is no doubt about it, situational awareness demands examination from the POV that a malware can be used for cyberterrorism. The naivety of the Internet user coupled with systems connected to to the Internet means there is palatable threat. You never know if a group such Al Qaeda could one day launch an attack on the nation's power grid. One such attack was already performed on a city in Brazil.

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2009/11/hacking_the_bra.html