"IPersist" error when trying to save changes

Right, well I think Black Viper was the reason I disabled mine. If you you run the default XP services, I find a lot of them are just sucking ram and not being used, like 'remote registry' Don't need it, don't want it.

So advanced users who disable task scheduler are complaining that scheduled tasks don't run

Or am I confused?

So advanced users who disable task scheduler are complaining that scheduled tasks don't run

Or am I confused?

You're confused, if an app needs to use task scheduler, it should notify the user(s) by way of a proper error message that reads "task scheduler service is not running, updates and scans will not execute until the service has been enabled".

Simple Dude.

You're confused, if an app needs to use task scheduler, it should notify the user(s) by way of a proper error message that reads "task scheduler service is not running, updates and scans will not execute until the service has been enabled".

Simple Dude.

So the MBAM programmers should add that code for users that disable task scheduler but don't understand what it does?

This conversation is quite humorous to read through.

I can see both points.

On one side, users who are disabling Windows services should not expect every software they install to work properly. The average user does not go around disabling Windows services, so normally there's no need to bother with extra checks to see is the service is running which slow down the operations.

On the other side, software can certainly include checks to see if a requirement is present.

As I mentioned, this issue does not effect the users we target with out software, because they do not tweak advanced settings like that.

• Root Admin

Simple Dude.

No doubt there is always room for improvement but even Microsoft Exchange which is probably one of the most used Enterprise applications on the planet isn't smart enough to know that you can not turn on IMAP because by default that service is turned off. But the error it gives has nothing to do with it or in no way gives you a clue what might be wrong. It just says it's not supported and can not be enabled. If you go turn the service on and then go back to enable IMAP it works just fine, no error.

But I can assure you that most software companies are not going to implement code to ensure it runs when you've manually altered and disabled built-in controls of the Operating System. When or if it comes up as it did here then support will assist the user. If it is a common failure that affects dozens, hundreds, thousands of users okay, but because a handful of users have manually altered their system and it doesn't work why should everyone suffer code bloat to hand hold those users that chose to be modify their system. It just wouldn't be prudent or fair to others.

It's really simple, readme.txt

When I write an app, I include a readme file with details about what the app needs to operate.

The app also checks for things it needs to operate.

You can't install a .net app if you don't have .net installed?

This note could now be added to a user readme file?

Not hard to understand, it's logical.

No doubt there is always room for improvement but even Microsoft Exchange which is probably one of the most used Enterprise applications on the planet isn't smart enough to know that you can not turn on IMAP because by default that service is turned off. But the error it gives has nothing to do with it or in no way gives you a clue what might be wrong. It just says it's not supported and can not be enabled. If you go turn the service on and then go back to enable IMAP it works just fine, no error.

But I can assure you that most software companies are not going to implement code to ensure it runs when you've manually altered and disabled built-in controls of the Operating System. When or if it comes up as it did here then support will assist the user. If it is a common failure that affects dozens, hundreds, thousands of users okay, but because a handful of users have manually altered their system and it doesn't work why should everyone suffer code bloat to hand hold those users that chose to be modify their system. It just wouldn't be prudent or fair to others.

I see your point, but the only problem I can see in your statement is "When or if it comes up as it did here then support will assist the user. "

Apparently, 'support' was unable to assist the user, the problem went on for sometime and nobody in 'support' could figure it out.

Just ask EL34 how long he waited for a fix, if it wasn't for me solving the issue, who knows if 'support' would have ever done anything with it.

Especially, when some of their staff find the discussions here humorous, unlike their users that are just looking for help, I'm sure.

I see your point, but the only problem I can see in your statement is "When or if it comes up as it did here then support will assist the user. "

Apparently, 'support' was unable to assist the user, the problem went on for sometime and nobody in 'support' could figure it out.

Just ask EL34 how long he waited for a fix, if it wasn't for me solving the issue, who knows if 'support' would have ever done anything with it.

Especially, when some of their staff find the discussions here humorous, unlike their users that are just looking for help, I'm sure.

I have one question. Is this the helpdesk?

It's really simple, readme.txt

When I write an app, I include a readme file with details about what the app needs to operate.

The app also checks for things it needs to operate.

You can't install a .net app if you don't have .net installed?

This note could now be added to a user readme file?

Not hard to understand, it's logical.

Our software works out of the box with Windows XP as long as .NET is installed, and it works with Windows Vista without the need to install anything extra. There is no need for a readme file.

Apparently not.

Good answer. :D

While I and several volunteers help users on these forums, they are not our helpdesk system.

Also note that while the helpdesk staff works 7 days a week, we are not on our computers all of the time, and our replies are not always fast.

Our software works out of the box with Windows XP as long as .NET is installed, and it works with Windows Vista without the need to install anything extra. There is no need for a readme file

Didn't work on mine or geekpro's. Well everything worked except something that was very important.

I had to manually remember to update and run a scan which was a pain, if and when I remembered.

If MB does not think they need a readme or any sort of user info on subjects like this, then that's a fairly sad statement regarding how they do business.

That's just my oppinion, which is not really shared by all 6+ billion people in the world.

If this is not a help center, does MB have one where users can be sure someone actually reads the post and tries to help?

I probably would have never bought the product if I had come here and read a post just like this one.

One last statement regarding services in XP

There's is actually a very good reason to disable every non needed service on some computers.

I have a XP DAW here that has maybe 12 services running?

Windows update and lots more silly non essential services are all disabled because they are not needed.

Every bit of horse power goes into recording, mixing and playing back music tracks.

When you are mixing 30 tracks with VST effects you cannot afford to have some silly service that you never use robbing clock cycles.

I have never had any need what so ever for the scheduling service and so it is disabled on that system for a very good reason.

This is in contrast to the brand new DELL 64 bit Vista system I just helped my buddy set up.

I about chocked when I looked at all the services running on that system. There had to be 45+ services???

Didn't work on mine or geekpro's. Well everything worked except something that was very important.

I had to manually remember to update and run a scan which was a pain, if and when I remembered.

You modified your system by disabling services. Like I said, as long as .NET is there, MBAM will work without need for changes.

• 2 weeks later...

OK... I'm what most people would consider an "advanced" user. I have always disabled the Task Scheduler since I can remember. I have also used numerous freeware (and paidware) apps that update just fine without needing the Task Scheduler. My antivirus app and a different antispyware app are two. I agree with geekpro; there really should be something that informs us that the updater relies on the Task Scheduler service since many of our other apps do not use it to perform updates.

(btw- I'm not sure if enabling the task scheduler as fixed my problem; I just now checked on this thread after starting it a while back and just now learned that geekpro has most likely found the solution... I'll post again in a day or three whether it works or not)

Yup... it's fixed. Thanks geekpro. I'm a fairly advanced user and I probably wouldn't have figured this out. I disabled the task scheduler service over 8 months ago and forgot that it wasn't running. I never use it, and none of my other apps use it, so I wouldn't have thought to check it..... thanks again!