Stuck with Searchqu

Something called searchqu suddenly appeared on my Mozilla Firefox browser. I deleted the search bar and toolbar pertaining to it, but it's still in firefox. Apparently it came as a BHO, and even though I rejected the BHO a million or so times, a request for one kept coming back and I couldn't do anything until I allowed the BHO onto my computer. Now, I don't know what a BHO is, but the fact that it is stuck on my computer and I don't know how to get it off kinda tells me it's bad.

How would I get rid of this Searchqu?

And if this is in the wrong section, please move it.

• Staff

Hi,

Firefox doesn't support BHO's, only plugins/extensions.

Anyway, first of all, go to software > add & remove programs and look if the ilivid toolbar is listed there. If so, uninstall it.

Make sure your browsers (Firefox & IE) are closed when you uninstall.

Then, reset your browser startpage to the one you want (as that's the only part of searchqu which doesn't get changed after uninstall).

Let me know if that solved your issue.

As an extra note, searchqu is no malware though - it's basically harmless.

Hi,

Firefox doesn't support BHO's, only plugins/extensions.

Anyway, first of all, go to software > add & remove programs and look if the ilivid toolbar is listed there. If so, uninstall it.

Make sure your browsers (Firefox & IE) are closed when you uninstall.

Then, reset your browser startpage to the one you want (as that's the only part of searchqu which doesn't get changed after uninstall).

Let me know if that solved your issue.

As an extra note, searchqu is no malware though - it's basically harmless.

Well, it came with BHOs, are those bad?

I uninstalled iLivid before.

Just reset the homepage.

One thing that I used to have before was when I typed something in on the address bar, the search engine that would come up by default was google. Now, when I type something in the address bar, some search thing comes up. Is that normal?

• Staff

Only Internet Explorer & windows explorer uses a BHO, in Firefox, the Ilivid toolbar is loaded via an extension/addon.

BHO's are just browser helper addons, such as the google toolbar, yahoo toolbar and so many other toolbars are BHOs.

When you uninstalled Ilivid, did you also uninstall the ilivid toolbar / Windows iLivid Toolbar? Because that's a seperate component listed in software > add & remove programs.

Also look in your Firefox > tools > extensions/addons if the Ilivid toolbar is still listed there and select to remove.

If you uninstall Ilivid toolbar via software > add & remove programs, it actually already removes it from firefox as well though (unless your Firefox browser was open during uninstall).

Here's an additional tutorial for removing searchqu from your browsers when the uninstall wasn't properly performed: http://deletemalware.blogspot.com/2011/05/how-to-remove-searchqu-uninstall-guide.html

In your case, as I already explained, it is listed as the ilivid toolbar or Windows iLivid Toolbar and not the searchqu toolbar.

Only Internet Explorer & windows explorer uses a BHO, in Firefox, the Ilivid toolbar is loaded via an extension/addon.

BHO's are just browser helper addons, such as the google toolbar, yahoo toolbar and so many other toolbars are BHOs.

When you uninstalled Ilivid, did you also uninstall the ilivid toolbar / Windows iLivid Toolbar? Because that's a seperate component listed in software > add & remove programs.

Also look in your Firefox > tools > extensions/addons if the Ilivid toolbar is still listed there and select to remove.

If you uninstall Ilivid toolbar via software > add & remove programs, it actually already removes it from firefox as well though (unless your Firefox browser was open during uninstall).

Here's an additional tutorial for removing searchqu from your browsers when the uninstall wasn't properly performed: http://deletemalware.blogspot.com/2011/05/how-to-remove-searchqu-uninstall-guide.html

In your case, as I already explained, it is listed as the ilivid toolbar or Windows iLivid Toolbar and not the searchqu toolbar.

Ok, thanks. Completely free of it now :)

• 5 weeks later...
  • Staff

Glad we could help. :)

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!