Question for MBAM Moderators

Guest claudiubotezatu

Guest claudiubotezatu

Dear Sirs,

I've been geting conflictig reports from different surces/forums about running 2 real time shields at the same time; the general ideea is "This is when conflicting and very unreliable detections occur and system slow downs, so It is recommended to only run one real time AV guard. Even though every system will react differently to loaded security software."

There is no pure AV today, all of them will detect to some degree other malware and this is the area where conflicts may arrise.

Lots of entuziast MBAM suporters claimed that MBAB is compatible with most AV, meaning their systems did not crush with both of them running in real time but is very dificult for average user to estimate the impact on their systems running an AV and MBAM in real time.

Can you post, please, a scientific approach of this issue?Why MBAM will not conflict in real time with other AV?

Thanks,

Claudiu,

Toronto , Canada

• Staff

Hi claudiubotezatu.

In a lot of cases this really comes down to individual machines and what av product they have installed. Some are going to be more aggressive than others. You'll have to decide for yourself by trial and error.

It becomes more of a conflict when you have two anti-spyware apps installed using real time protection. But even then, many times the biggest conflict is the annoyance of multiple alerts whenever you make changes to the system. And of course it is not recommended to run two av at any time for any reason, unless one is stand alone scanner.

Take myself for example, at one point I had active protection from:

• SpySweeper Shields
  • Ad-Aware's Ad-Watch
  • Spybot's TeaTimer
  • SpywareGuard
  • WinPatrol

So making any changes enacted a flurry of alerts from all of them, tho not all exactly at once. But it never really impacted the machine performance wise or other. It was just an annoyance.

So you really need to work with whatever tools you're thinking of trying and see how the play together.

Hope that gives you some info to better make a decision or come to a conclusion.

Greetings, I'm not a moderator or one of the developers, but I am a very experienced user (especially when it comes to running multiple security programs on a single system). Malwarebytes' and most programs like it (you would typically classify these as "antispyware" although they detect much more these days than just spyware alone) are designed to run alongside an active antivirus software without causing conflicts. This is due to the fact that they are not antivirus programs and will do nothing against a run of the mill virus, in fact, Malwarebytes' is designed to specifically detect threats that your average antivirus program would miss, that's why it's so valuable to have such a program in addition to an antivirus. You can see from my signature that I use several programs with realtime protection because I believe in a layered approach to security and I won't put my faith in any one product to stop every single virus/spyware/trojan/exploit out there on any given day because there's just too much of it so it isn't possible. I don't run Malwarebytes' in realtime (yet) simply because it's currently not compatible with 64bit Windows, which is what I use. But once it is, you can bet I'll have it running, although at that point I will probably disable the protection component in SUPERAntiSpyware because the 2 of them may conflict (not sure, haven't tested yet). Everything else will probably remain as it is, perhaps with the exception of TeaTimer as I've heard a few say it was incompatible with Malwarebytes' in realtime mode.

Can you post, please, a scientific approach of this issue?Why MBAM will not conflict in real time with other AV?

Mostly because they are not doing the exact same thing.

An anti-virus is monitoring all applications in real-time to make sure that they are not a threat. MBAM's protection monitors for threats that are trying to install, and blocks them when it finds them. Since they aren't both trying to do the same thing, there's less conflict.

Guest claudiubotezatu

Mostly because they are not doing the exact same thing.

to make sure that they are not a threat. MBAM's protection monitors for threats that are trying to install, and blocks them when it finds them. Since they aren't both trying to do the same thing, there's less conflict.

Hi,

with all due respect, but when you say :"An anti-virus is monitoring all applications in real-time" by "all application" I understand also applications that are trying to install; and these applications are monitored at the same time by MBAM

I alreaty installed MBAM and AntiVir pro on the same system (XP SP3) and already have some strange behavior (not crush or slowdown) but alerts from Antivir Pro which I shouldn't have. (when MBAM detects a treat which is on exception list of Antivir , Antivir will pop up detecting the same threat ---.which is on its list to ignore) without MBAM I do not have this behavior.I will continue the experiment.

Thank you for your answer,

Claudiu

Toronto,Canada

Guest claudiubotezatu
So they're both alerting you to the same threat? That should be OK, just tell one to ignore the detection and the other to terminate/remove it and it should be fine. I believe Avira has an ignore option and I know MBAM does.

Yes, but Antivir has that specific file on its "ignore" list and shouldn't alert me; it seems like MBAM makes a temporary copy of that file in some other location and that is the moment antivir will alert me because now the file has a different path than the one mentioned in "ignore" list of Antivir.

Not a big deal, though if is only that is OK.

Thanks,

Claudiu

Toronto,Canada