Would you consider this a Hard Drive Failure?

Bobc11

I have the Serial ATA (SATA) HD and I can read and write to it but, no matter what, it will NOT load to windows XP/2000 NT Or any other version of windows. I can see the windows 2000 setup, but after the first steps after the first restart, it just says "Error Loading Operating System" and when the XP setup would load, after the initial "Dos" if you may, procedure, it loads to a black screen with only a flashing "_" Icon. This is a HP Pavilion a1030n. One more thing, It wont load Ubuntu Linux, and it will load puppy Linux in which i can view the hd's contents. What do I do and is this a HD Failure?

If Windows won't load, it might be a SATA driver issue.

If Ubuntu won't load, maybe the MBR is screwed up. Try running grub-install from it.

Also check your bios to see how your sata ports are configured. Older operating systems require backwards compatible settings.

If Windows won't load, it might be a SATA driver issue.

If Ubuntu won't load, maybe the MBR is screwed up. Try running grub-install from it.

1. I am trying a Re-install

2. It after it starts loading it just flashes to a black screen.

Is there any way to run chkdsk from puppy linux?

Please stop choosing POLL when posting. This has nothing to do with a poll and is simply a question so post as a question please.

thank you

Sorry. In the future I will refrain from doing that in the future.

For the HD problem: I got windows XP to boot after running chkdsk, and formatting the HD fat32. So we will see how long this will last.

Just a suggestion - have you checked that one of your memory sticks aren't faulty ?

A problem may only manifest itself when that part of memory gets used so 'simple' things work but more 'complex' things fail.

For memory testing: http://www.memtest.org/

If the hard drive is over 512MB then it is recommended that you use NTFS. So basically now days any drive you have should be using NTFS if it's for use on Windows.

The system crashes when you try to convert it.