Hotmail now offers a secure email experience

mountaintree16

I found this out on accident when checking my privacy settings!

When logged into Hotmail from the web;

Go to:

Options > More Options >

Then under Customizing Hotmail on the right, click Advanced Privacy Settings.

You will see this text:

Using HTTPS for extra security

If you often use public computers or unsecure wireless connections, consider changing your account to always use HTTPS. Go to HTTPS settings

Important note: Turning on HTTPS will work for Hotmail over the web, but it will cause errors if you try to access Hotmail through programs like:

* Outlook Hotmail Connector

* Windows Live Mail

* The Windows Live application for Windows Mobile and Nokia

If you only need a temporary HTTPS connection, enter "https" in front of the web address instead of "http".

Excellent! I am very happy about this :D I'd like to see more email providers follow suit :)

No problem! :)

I now have a problem logging out from "Windows Live Account" when I log out of my Hotmail but everything else logs out. This can be taken care of by clearing one's cookies though :)

• Root Admin

Firefox deletes my cookies every time I close the browser. Some people don't like that but I do - just means a bit more typing when you visit some sites and if you like the site remembering where you were at last time then it's probably not a good idea to remove the cookie each time. :)

Firefox deletes my cookies every time I close the browser. Some people don't like that but I do - just means a bit more typing when you visit some sites and if you like the site remembering where you were at last time then it's probably not a good idea to remove the cookie each time. :)

I do no such thing and I really don't care where you keep your cookies.....

LOL sorry could not resist..... :D

I run CCleaner when I am done with each session (or nearly each session) no matter what browser I use.

HAHHA all this talk about cookies... makes me want some. We made some chocolate chip ones today... yummy!! :D

Thank you for pointing us out to those security settings, Montaintree. I use my hotmail account very seldom but I already changed my settings. :)

As requested, some chocolate biscuits :

post-2252-0-22363200-1308112060.jpg

They are utterly delicious but a disaster for your waistline :D.

You are most welcome Mona!

Oooo those look absolutely DIVINE I want some for real... ::drools a little bit::

I have been doing REALLY well with my exercise lately though so I guess it is best that they are virtual only for the time being... so I can mentally savor them instead :P