Do I need AVG

If I have mbam pro am I getting anything more out of running avg too? Other than the small chance mbam real time protection misses something and avg blocks it. But I mean are they actually doing different things? I don't want to maintain avg on various systems if it's doing the same thing mbam real time is. I see lots of info here about running mbam with other anti-v and a couple of recommendations by it sounds like mbam real time would do all avg is doing anyway. I keep having systems running avg getting infected anyway (I think usually trojans) by going to infected sites, and then have to run mbam to clean up. So why bother with avg at all?

P.S. I tried to search forums for "do I need avg" but your search engine doesn't like words shorter than four characters. Makes it kind of hard to search for avg, or MSE or DLL or etc.

Do not go without an anti virus program. MBAM is NOT an anti virus replacement and is designed to work alongside your AV, catching malware that many AV programs do not.

You may wish to try a different AV. Avira, Avast, or MSE for a few examples.

Best regards

I'm going to complain here, but not really at mbam, just feedback from the end-user's perspective. So some places I read never to run two anti-v, but then I guess we're supposed to be savvy enough to know what is anti-v and what is something else, like I guess a spyware catcher is something else. Though almost every product does multiple jobs. I believe avg is supposed to block both viruses and spyware. So to follow suggestions I need anti-v, and (according to one of the sticky posts here) a spyware catcher, and a third party firewall, and mbam to boot. Then if I have many systems to maintain (a non-profit with many loose affiliates, not a single domain) then I have to put all those on, maintain them, deal with issues with each, pay for each. Being as mbam has been almost flawless in getting rid of infections it's almost easier to let the users run naked as non-admins and when their user area gets infected (but not windows since they're not admins) just run mbam and clean up.

Spyware actually falls into the class of threats that Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware does focus on, so a third party anti-spyware program would not be necessary. Generally what we recommend is an active and up to date antivirus+Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. A firewall is optional as long as the Windows firewall is enabled (which it is by default).

That means you have 1 antivirus to pay for (yearly subscription generally) plus Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. We have consumer licensing, which is a one time fee for life for a single machine and for corporate use we have a yearly subscription fee (though the cost is very reasonable). If you wish to use the software in a corporate/business environment, then please fill out completely the form on this page and you will be able to get a price quote and other info and details to determine what licensing model and pricing best suits your environment.

I used to have a link to an independent site that would subject all the leading anti-virus programs to most current virsues (and other malware) and list which caught which problems. A good way to see which did the best job. So if I'm going to have an anti-virus running with MBAM I'd like to see which are doing best. Know of any such site? I see goldhound suggesting avast, avira, and MSE. I've seen reviews that MSE misses a lot.

BTW I did submit a request for corporate and non-profit quote on the 15th or 16th and haven't heard anything. But the link seems to be the same link for signing up for the newsletter so not sure if it's working right.

• 2 weeks later...