Database not supported

My Malwarebytes program always came up with a message that the current database is not supported by this version of malwarebytes when I try to update. I have deleted this program from the Ctrl Panel, ran mbam-clean.exe prior to re-installing it again. I then reboot prior to installing the updates. It works for a couple of day and then errors our again with the same error. Currently I just went through this whole process and it errors out without letting me do even 1 update. If there is anybody that know what is going on here, please fill me in.

Hello again Terry!

Please locate the rules.ref file within MBAM's install directory

It is typically stored:

• In Windows 7/Vista:

• C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

In Windows XP:

• C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Please delete the rules.ref then start MBAM.exe and download a new copy of the rules. Because of the speed of your Internet Connection you may be timing out during the download and getting a partial rules.ref. When getting a new copy of the rules.ref please cut down on your Internet requests (downloads etc...) that way you have the best chance at downloading the entire database with no hiccup :)

I am looking for the rules.ref file on my computer and cannot find it. I am using windows XP and "C:Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" does not exist. The most the I havc on my computer is c:\Documents and Settings\All Users. I don't have a directory called application Data. I am a little bit computer litterate and I can't find it because it is obvious that it is timing out when I run it. Can you give me a simple version of how to find the rules.ref file.

The reason you don't see the folder is because it is a hidden folder, you can follow the steps below and you will be able to see it....

Delete rules file in Windows XP

Please do the following, it should resolve the issue (no need to reinstall):

Show Hidden Files and Folders in Windows XP:

• Click the Tools item from the menu at the top of the window (if you don't see Tools press the Alt key on your keyboard and it will appear)
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure Show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, uncheck the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, uncheck the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes
  • Click Apply then click OK

Then go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and delete rules.ref. Once you've done that, start MBAM and when it shows the error and asks to update, let it do so and see if that corrects it.

Reset Hidden Files and Folders in Windows XP:

• Click Start and select My Computer
  • Click the Tools item from the menu at the top of the window (if you don't see Tools press the Alt key on your keyboard and it will appear)
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure Do not show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, check the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, check the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes

Firefox, I thought that I followed your rules pretty close but, I am stuck. When I go to "Tools" it does not give me the option of Folder Options. My options are tp Delete Browser History, In Private Browsing, In Private Filtering, Pop Up Blocker, SmartScreen Filter, Manage Add Ons, Compatabi;ity View, Compatibility View Settings, Windows Update, Developers Tools and Internet Options. As you can see there is no Folder Options. Am I in the wrong place?

Hello Terry,

Yes, you are slightly in the wrong location. When you want to view hidden folder and files within your system you will have to open 'My Computer'. It seems you clicked tools within your browser. Is this correct?

The path I specified in my post assume hidden folders were already viewable. My apologies.

Show Hidden Files and Folders in Windows XP:

• Click Start->My Computer.
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure Show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, uncheck the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, uncheck the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes

Then go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and delete rules.ref. Once you've done that, start MBAM and when it shows the error and asks to update, let it do so and see if that corrects it.

Afterwards follow Firefox's directions to reset the settings you changed.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask :)

Thank you very much!

Hello Terry,

Are you able to locate the rules.ref file and delete it? If you are stuck please tell me which item you are unable to perform then I can assist from there.

Thank you very much!