MBM & Runtime error 50003

It seems that I can't run MBM after installing as I get a runtime error of 50003. Hijackthis gives me the same problem. According to this site http://www.angelfire.com/biz/rhaminisys/vboledll.html it seems that I have the wrong set of common controls as described here :

Error message boxes saying "Unexpected error" or "Error 50003" may be symptoms of an incorrect version of the common controls being registered. Microsoft have issued at least 4 versions of comctl32.ocx and 2 of comdlg32.ocx, comct232.ocx and comct332.ocx. All the versions of each component have the same GUID but they are not compatible. This breaks the rules of COM but Microsoft allow themselves to break their own rules however much havoc it causes amongst their customers.

A compiled VB program will work with the set of controls it was compiled with or later versions. However, programs complied with a newer issue of one of these OCXs will not run if an older one is registered. If a VB5 authored program on this web site has this problem it needs the VB6 versions of the controls.

If that's the case, please lead me to a link which I can download the correct set thank you...

A compiled VB program will work with the set of controls it was compiled with or later versions. However, programs complied with a newer issue of one of these OCXs will not run if an older one is registered. If a VB5 authored program on this web site has this problem it needs the VB6 versions of the controls.

If that's the case, please lead me to a link which I can download the correct set thank you...

Please download the VB6 Sp6 runtime installer from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

After downloading, please install it. Next, try to run MBAM and let me know how it goes. Be sure you try to update before initiating a scan.

Are you on XP or Vista?

edit: Found this on the web, might be helpful, give it a try and keep us posted:

Runtime error 50003

A runtime error 50003 indicates that there is a file conflict. There are likely two different programs on the system which use two different versions of the same dll or ocx file.

To rename DLL and ocx files please Click on Start, choose Find(or Search) files or folders. Ensure that "Look in:" is looking on the C drive. Under "Named:" type the name of one of the below files and click Find Now.

comctl32.dll

comdlg32.dll

The only files that you will need to be concerned with are those located in the folder C:\Windows, C:\Windows\System, or C:\Windows\System32. Please note the size of the file and the date that it was modified. Then Right click on the file and choose rename. Rename the file, and add ".old" to the end of the name. ( For example Comctl32.ocx will become Comctl32.ocx.old ). It is important to rename the file in case it is ever necessary to reinstall it. This can be the case for example if another program receives the runtime error 50003. In this case, look up the old file and rename it back to its original name. Once a file has been renamed, please reinstall the software. The correct version of the file that the program needs to run will be installed on your system. After the installation, the program should launch. If it does not, then there is another file which is causing the conflict.

Are you on XP or Vista?

edit: Found this on the web, might be helpful, give it a try and keep us posted:

Runtime error 50003

A runtime error 50003 indicates that there is a file conflict. There are likely two different programs on the system which use two different versions of the same dll or ocx file.

To rename DLL and ocx files please Click on Start, choose Find(or Search) files or folders. Ensure that "Look in:" is looking on the C drive. Under "Named:" type the name of one of the below files and click Find Now.

comctl32.dll

comdlg32.dll

The only files that you will need to be concerned with are those located in the folder C:\Windows, C:\Windows\System, or C:\Windows\System32. Please note the size of the file and the date that it was modified. Then Right click on the file and choose rename. Rename the file, and add ".old" to the end of the name. ( For example Comctl32.ocx will become Comctl32.ocx.old ). It is important to rename the file in case it is ever necessary to reinstall it. This can be the case for example if another program receives the runtime error 50003. In this case, look up the old file and rename it back to its original name. Once a file has been renamed, please reinstall the software. The correct version of the file that the program needs to run will be installed on your system. After the installation, the program should launch. If it does not, then there is another file which is causing the conflict.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I am on XP SP2. Anyway, I did a scan and these 2 files only exist in the system32 folder. I did unregister/register these 2 files but not dll's but ocx. Is there a difference?

Anyway, could you provide me the link which I can d/l working dlls for these 2 files?

Hmm, let's try something different, I suspect there's something off with your permissions. Please download Dial-a-fix from here: http://djlizard.net.nyud.net:8080/software...-v0.60.0.24.zip and unzip it to a folder on your desktop. Run Dial-a-fix.exe and click on the Policies button on the bottom. A small window will open, and if anything is listed there, make sure there's a check mark next to it and click the Remove button at the bottom of the window. If there were any problems fixed by it, reboot and try installing it again, if not let me know.

Hmm, let's try something different, I suspect there's something off with your permissions. Please download Dial-a-fix from here: http://djlizard.net.nyud.net:8080/software...-v0.60.0.24.zip and unzip it to a folder on your desktop. Run Dial-a-fix.exe and click on the Policies button on the bottom. A small window will open, and if anything is listed there, make sure there's a check mark next to it and click the Remove button at the bottom of the window. If there were any problems fixed by it, reboot and try installing it again, if not let me know.

Thanks, will try it out and report back. :angry:

• 1 year later...

I am getting very frustrated and concerned having noticed the redirect virus from google always sending me to clickcheck. When I try to run Malwarebytes I have the runtime error of 50003. I was changing the comctl32.dll and ocx files, and the comdlg32.dll and ocx files as suggested. I noticed that as I renamed comdlg32.dll to old_comdlg32.dll that the original comdlg32.dll would replicate itself. I renamed it several times and it kept coming back. I then deleted it, and again, it kept coming back.

I can't run malwarebytes, or hijack this. "I get the unexpected error 50003".

I have run Adaware,spybot s&D, and trend housecall. I also ran avenger with the suggested script found on the web, and it reported no rootkits.

I am running XP SP3. I run Norton 2010, with all of the default settings that came installed.

@ dougcoleman -

You can try to follow the instructions given by exile360 (if you think it suits your system) or you can start your own topic -

If you think it is being caused by an infection then the instructions are below -

Please read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

Thank You - B)

• 1 month later...
It seems that I can't run MBM after installing as I get a runtime error of 50003. Hijackthis gives me the same problem. According to this site http://www.angelfire.com/biz/rhaminisys/vboledll.html it seems that I have the wrong set of common controls as described here :

Error message boxes saying "Unexpected error" or "Error 50003" may be symptoms of an incorrect version of the common controls being registered. Microsoft have issued at least 4 versions of comctl32.ocx and 2 of comdlg32.ocx, comct232.ocx and comct332.ocx. All the versions of each component have the same GUID but they are not compatible. This breaks the rules of COM but Microsoft allow themselves to break their own rules however much havoc it causes amongst their customers.

Download and install the vb6 runtime files. It fixed the problem for me.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...17-f673077ffb3c

• 9 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Please download the VB6 Sp6 runtime installer from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

After downloading, please install it. Next, try to run MBAM and let me know how it goes. Be sure you try to update before initiating a scan.

Thank you so very much!! Worked perfectly on my WINXP SP3 32-bit machine :D