Scan time is too long

What would make the quick scan last for over a hour and full scan 2hrs or more? I put Malwarebytes Free on my mother in laws laptop and it takes forever to scan. Its a older HP laptop. It only has 512 memory with windows XP Pro installed. I have Ccleaner installed on it and run registry cleaner and ran cleaner for temp files and other things. I've cleaned all unnecessary files that i know of off the laptop.

I run all this on 3 of my own computers and all works great. My quick scan takes just under 5 minutes. So I'm a regular user of the software for 2yrs or more. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!!

• Root Admin

The fact that it is an older computer with very low computing resources and old hardware.

Try running the following on her computer and see if it helps to improve scan times.

STEP 01

Please use TFC to clear temporary files:

Run TFC by OldTimer to clear temporary files:

• Please download TFC from here or here and save it to your desktop.
  • Close any open programs and Internet browsers.
  • Double click TFC.exe to run it and once it opens click on the Start button on the lower left of the program to allow it to begin cleaning.
  • Please be patient as clearing out temp files may take a while.
  • Once it completes you may be prompted to restart your computer, please do so.
  • Once it's finished you may delete TFC.exe from your desktop or save it for later use for the cleaning of temporary files.

STEP 02

You may have corrupted files on your disk. Please try running the following.

First close ALL Applications as this routine will automatically restart your computer.

Click on START - RUN and copy / paste the following entry into the box and click OK

CMD /C ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /R | SHUTDOWN /R /T 30

STEP 03

Start MBAM and check for updates. Now do another Quick Scan and see if the scan times have improved.

I tried the 3 steps advancesetup gave me. I ran step 1 and it removed 11.0mb only. I done step 2 checkdisc and it rebooted. I updated malwarebytes and doin quick scan still takin forever quick scan is now on 20 minutes. The files is temp internet files for IE5 and currently this laptop has IE8. C:\documents and settings\DGBG\temporary internet files\content.\IE5 with stuff changing after the IE5 while scaning this takes forever. Then a bunch of temporary setup files like some for [NIS] NORTON INTERNET SECURITY and other things like quickbooks and none of this is on the laptop any longer. I even used norton removal tool when i uninstalled it. What is all these files its scaning and there not supposed to be on here any longer. Thanks for any help. I had to start a new topic as my Scan to long was locked for some reason.

Ok i done this. I already had Ccleaner installed but updated to v3.04.1389 and checked all you said and it only cleaned 8.67mb as i used Ccleaner on this machine all the time. It got 3 min into the scan with malwarebytes and still the same thing. NIS temps and all kinda temps for different setup files and everything. Then all these temp files for IE5 which takes over a hour to scan. I just dont get it. I dont want to reformat if i dont have to just to get this stuff cleaned off. Thanks for any further assistance.

• Root Admin

I'm sorry, I closed the post earlier because I thought you were done. Please run the following scanner and post back the logs.

Download
DDS
and save it to your desktop

Disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.

Once downloaded you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.

Then double click
dds.scr
to run the tool.

When done, the
DDS.txt
will open.

Click Yes at the next prompt for Optional Scan.

When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:

1. DDS.txt

2. Attach.txt

• Save both reports to your desktop
  • Please include the following logs in your next reply:
    DDS.txt
    and
    Attach.txt

• Root Admin

Well I see that you're having quite a few errors with services loading, etc according to your event logs.

My recommendation is to Temporarily uninstall AVast AV. Disconnect from the Ineternet and reboot.

Confirm that your Event Logs are not longer showing any errors.

Then run MBAM and do a Quick Scan and when done connect back to the Internet and post the new log.

Then reinstall the Avast AV and update it and setup the File and Folder exclusions needed for MBAM and make sure it's working well.

Ok I can do this. You will have to give me the exclusions to copy and paste for my Avast becasue i have no clue what to add to exclusion list. Thanks!

Do i need to repost new logs after i uninstall avast and reboot? I dunno how to tell if there right or not lookin at the logs myself. Thanks!

Ok guys i figured out my problem. Someone had 2 admin accounts set up on here so it wasnt letting me clean the files on the other when i was running the cleaning tools. I deleted the other admin account that wasnt in use and now it works like a charm. I ran the old timer temp cleaner again and it removed 90.00mb after i deleted the other account then rebooted. I did a quick scan with MBAM took just over 7 minutes. Thats more like it. I will post my new log here. Thanks all who helped me.

www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 5966

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

3/5/2011 12:14:00 PM

mbam-log-2011-03-05 (12-14-00).txt

Scan type: Quick scan

Objects scanned: 136072

Time elapsed: 7 minute(s), 38 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected: 0

Registry Keys Infected: 0

Registry Values Infected: 0

Registry Data Items Infected: 0

Folders Infected: 0

Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

For Windows XP:

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For my XP and XP Pro do i use the same exclusions? Also on 2 laptops and 1 desktop I have AIS6 and not the free AV6. I have free MBAB only right now but plan to add pro later. Do i need all these exclutions? Can i copy and past all at once to add them to my settings exclusions in my AIS or do i enter each individual one? Thanks!

The correct exclusions for XP are below.....

For Windows XP:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

These exclusions are for all versions of XP and you have to exclude one file at a time.