Domain- My clients cant login.

Bobc11

Is this a new install of server 2008?

Was it working before?

Did you already setup users and active directory?

Yes. I recently purchased it.

Yes. It stopped working one week ago!

Yes. Yes, it took 2 days to get that setup.

1. First check your DNS make sure its working correctly

2. Are you getting any errors on the server in event viewer

3. Did you install anything new, like anti-virus (Endpoint has been known to cause a login issue)

Here is a good tool Diagnosing and Troubleshooting Active Directory Problems

1. Yes, according to test it is working.

2. Only have had 6 the entire life of the server. (About 5 weeks)

3. No.

Do you want a XML of event viewer?

No Domain Controller is available for domain HCN due to the following:

There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request. .

Make sure that the computer is connected to the network and try again. If the problem persists, please contact your domain administrator.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

No Domain Controller is available for domain HCN due to the following:

There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request. .

Make sure that the computer is connected to the network and try again. If the problem persists, please contact your domain administrator.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

The server {2712F4EF-BC5E-46B7-B8E6-28D6D9DB4996} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

The device, \Device\CdRom0, has a bad block.

Event Type: Error

Event Source: LoadPerf

Event Category: None

Event ID: 3001

Date: 2/22/2011

Time: 8:54:32 AM

User: N/A

Computer: HOME

Description:

The performance counter name string value in the registry is incorrectly formatted. The bogus string is 3670, the bogus index value is the first DWORD in Data section while the last valid index values are the second and third DWORD in Data section.

Data:

0000: 56 0e 00 00 54 0e 00 00 V...T...

0008: 55 0e 00 00 cf 01 00 00 U...

• Root Admin

If you don't already have these tools please go download them and install them. They will install on Windows XP and help you to diagnose issues with the servers in the Domain.

Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools

Then also either install on the server or at least copy a couple of the tools to the Domain Controller.

Then run DNSDIAG on the Domain Controller to ensure that all is working as it should. If DNS is not working properly then you're always going to have Server issues as Active Directory relies heavily on it.

Also get and use this tool: Windows 2000 Support Tools: DCDiag.exe Utility Update

This utility analyzes the state of domain controllers in a forest or enterprise and reports any problems to assist in troubleshooting. As an end-user reporting program, DcDiag encapsulates detailed knowledge of how to identify abnormal behavior in the system.

Actually just reread your information and this is a Server 2008 system so it has built-in tools to check on DNS.

Ok, I fixed the DNS issues and i have the user profile hive cleanup service running on all the computers (Ugh, that took forever), but soon the help desk flooded with calls about it taking 30 minutes to "Apply Personal Settings"

Applying-your-personal-settings.jpg

It is in XP not server 2003.

Check ip settings on xp workstations....

Make sure if they are DHCP that you check your DHCP server to make sure you have the right DNS setting Gateway and IP range.

When it is applying settings it is also applying Group Polices, make sure you don't have errors in your GP's....

• 2 weeks later...

Check ip settings on xp workstations....

Make sure if they are DHCP that you check your DHCP server to make sure you have the right DNS setting Gateway and IP range.

When it is applying settings it is also applying Group Polices, make sure you don't have errors in your GP's....

My Group Policies are screwed up. I can't roll them back, or reapply them! What do I have to do? The guy at the IT help desk, like took a vacation, when we started having these problems. Which means i have to deal with them. Anywho, what do i do now???

XP. It takes forever to apply personal settings. I use remote desktop to acess the server. Can you help me with removing the gpo? I cant get it to go away. It wont roll back either.ll

Ok, I could not do that on the server because it said bad command or file name. I did it on workstations and it still takes a really long time to apply personal settings.

Honesty, I need to get rid of the GPO's all together and make a brand new one.