MBM conflict with WISC

Okay I officially give up and throw this one out and hope someone else has already had this problem and solved it.

I found a thread on here that showed this is a problem that has been around on and off for some people but with no fix that worked for me.

I have WISC ver 7.0.6.38 and was using the latest version of MBAM 1.50.???

I have Windows 7 64 bit ulitimate installed, firefox and thunderbird and nothing else, this is a fresh install of Windows to try and fix this issue.

I get complete system lockup if MBAM is set to active protection. I have tried everthing listed I can find on these forums and a few other things myself

but no luck.

has anyone managed to get these two working happily together?

• Root Admin

Mind letting use know what "WISC ver 7.0.6.38" is. Way too many acronyms these days.

In order to help us help you please run the following and posts back the logs.

Is this a paid Pro version or the Free version?

Download
DDS
and save it to your desktop

Disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.

Once downloaded you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.

Then double click
dds.scr
to run the tool.

When done, the
DDS.txt
will open.

Click Yes at the next prompt for Optional Scan.

When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:

1. DDS.txt

2. Attach.txt

• Save both reports to your desktop

• Please include the following logs in your next reply:
    DDS.txt
    and
    Attach.txt

I have WISC ver 7.0.6.38 and was using the latest version of MBAM 1.50.???

I have Windows 7 64 bit ulitimate installed, firefox and thunderbird and nothing else, this is a fresh install of Windows to try and fix this issue.

Hello:

I have a similar setup on my laptop -- WISE (not WISC), Win7(x86), FF and TB, running MBAM PRO --- all current and fully patched.

OLD versions of Webroot products (Spysweeper & even earlier build of WISE) were NOTORIOUS for conflicts with standalone security apps.

The current version (at least WISE - don't know about WISC) works fine with some caveats.

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=58262 (search the boards here for "Webroot" and "WISE" for others)

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=60692 (product is KIS, not WISE/WISC, but the procedures are the same)

1) MBAM (& other security apps, such as SAS) need to be fully removed (Control Panel add/remove AND their cleanup tools and rebooting) BEFORE installing WISE/WISC.

2) Then, fully uninstall WISC and run their removal tool TWICE (as they instruct at their website -- it removes itself when run, so you will need to re-download it to run it the 2nd time), rebooting each time. Be sure to go to their website for detailed instructions about uninstalling their products and running their removal tool -- I keep a copy printed out.

3) Then, download a fresh copy of WISC from the Webroot site, install it, update it & reboot.

4) Next, follow the steps outlined in posts of the above referenced threads to install MBAM. In short, you will d/l MBAM, pause WISC protection, install MBAM (but not update yet), re-enable WISC, set your FW and AV permissions for MBAM, and then update MBAM and set it up. The steps are described in more detail in the threads.

5) Because the only glitches I had with (earlier versions of) WISE & MBAM were when MBAM protection module was configured to load at Windows startup -- program crashes and OS hangups -- I currently do NOT configure MBAM to load immediately. Instead, I wait a minute or so after booting (so that WISE can fully load, phone home, etc) before I manually start MBAM protection module.

6) Add the WISE/WISC program folder to the MBAM ignore list, as well.

I am working on my DT (running KIS) at the moment, so I don't have a screenshot for you.

But, having followed this procedure twice now with the current version of WISE (I had to reinstall a lot of software ~2 months ago after a series of driver updates), I can say that it works just fine.

In fact, even the recent MBAM version update to 1.0.50.1100 (which required a reboot) went fine and WISE didn't even hiccup.

I have had ZERO crashes or conflicts.

Unfortunately, Webroot does not have a user forum (amazing but true).

Their live & phone support is US-based, but I have found it inconsistent -- warning: some of their support techs are overly aggressive with remote access & unpleasant to deal with.

And their consumer products do not allow much "tweaking" or user control of AV and FW settings (akin to McAfee and their currently dumbed down products).

So, I had to get my support for MBAM + WISE here at this OUTSTANDING forum & follow a procedure similar to what I did on my desktop running MBAM + KIS2011.

All I can say is that, with a bit of attention to the sequence of all the steps, it all works fine.

I can't address WISC, since I use WISE, but I think it should work for it, too. You may need to add some additional tweaks for the added WISC features, of course.

HTH,

daledoc1