Is Malwarebytes All I need

Hi Everyone,

I have been using Microsoft Security Essentials and the free version of Malwarebytes for a while now. I have been told that these are the only programs I need for solid computer security. I wanted to get your opinions on this. If a person buys the paid version of Malwarebytes is there anything else needed for complete protection? Does MBAM act as an antivirus also? If there are any other suggested programs to use besides MSE and MBAM for excellent protection please advise.

Also, I am wanting to use something to use as a backup for my system in case my laptop crashes and I lose all my information. I have a Vista Home Premium 64 OS and it has restore points, but I am wanting something else to have besides using restore points or recovery system. I have thought about using Deep Freeze or a similar program like steady state as another option of recovering my computer. I am trying to come up with a series of options to save my computer in case it has problems besides using the traditional restore points and recovery disc. I know my laptop got a virus one time which disabled my security as well as my recovery management program so I couldn't restore it or recover it. If you know of any good options please advise.

Thank you in advance for your help and suggestions.

Greetings and welcome :)

MSE and MBAM (PRO version) are an excellent combination of protection and it's what I use personally. Just make certain that if you do purchase Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware PRO that you set proper exclusions first in order to avoid any conflicts:

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in Microsoft Security Essentials on 64 bit Windows Versions:

1. Open Microsoft Security Essentials and click on Settings at the top
  2. Click on Excluded processes on the left
  3. Click on the Add... button
  4. Click on the + next to your primary hard drive (usually C:)
  5. Click on the + next to Program Files (x86)
  6. Click on the + next to Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  7. Click once on mbam.exe and click on OK
  8. Repeat steps 3-7 for the following files:
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

[*]Click on Save at the bottom and click Continue if prompted

[*]Close Microsoft Security Essentials

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware itself is not an antivirus program nor is it a substitute for one, that's why you still need Microsoft Security Essentials or any other antivirus to have well rounded protection.

As for backing up your PC, I personally like Macrium Reflect Free as I've found it quite simple to use. I just backup an image of my hard drive to an external drive and keep my bootable CD, also created with Macrium Reflect, handy with the drive so that I can restore the system if I need to. A nice visual guide on the program's use can be found here.

If that isn't to your liking you could also look into paid solutions like Norton Ghost.

Thank you guys for your quick reply. I will be checking out the suggestions you have made.

Guys, if I decide to stick with the free version of Malwarebytes along with MSE am I safe with my security? Going with the free version, do you recommend any other program to round out my security? Thanks in advance.

If anyone else has a recipe of free software programs they use for computer security would you please share on here as well. Thank you.

With only MSE, I am afraid it would not be enough. MBAM Pro has a build in feature we call Web Blocker. With this feature, Malwarebytes will block many sites that have Malware on them, even if you were to go to that page accidentally, it would block it as long as Malwarebytes knows about that page. I have seem many folks get infected with only an anti-virus software running cause the anti-virus software failed to catch the infection. Malwarebytes Free was not able to catch the infection either cause it was not running in the background, this is why its better to have the Pro version cause it would catch whatever the AV program fails to catch.

It is a small price to pay to be fully protected.

Guest garybear

Hello!

I'm just a noobie here!

I use Macrium Reflect to back up my OS. It has never let me down.

Malwarebytes Pro is a one time fee.

24:95$ for a life time license is very cheap price to pay for piece of mind.

It's the best malware protection you can get.

MSE and MBAM Pro is all you need.

I use Avira free-- Online Armor(Firewall)--MBAM. I like to have control over my firewall. I like knowing what's going on and I like controlling what comes or goes from my PC :P