What I miss from OS's prior to XP...

mountaintree16

He probably could, but I don't really need it that bad, don't wanna bug anyone.

I just totally forget sometimes and try it anyway, but it don't work. It was a good alternative to power-off via the button (which we all know is a bad idea) though!

When you pressed ctrl alt del twice in a row really quickly, the computer would restart.

It was handy... hehe

There's several "Gadgets" like these post-35425-1291183143_thumb.gif

For both VISTA and Win7 that do a SHUTDOWN or RESTART.. I use the upper left gadget in the picture; doesn't take up much sidebar or desktop room and is 100% reliable..

~Shy

I think that was before any computers I came into contact with, Shy, but I do remember seeing a picture that had only the ctrl alt del keys for the keyboard... I'll try to find it and if I do I'll post it under jokes or something... it had a funny caption too ;)

Edit: I found it. I'll just attach it here :D

post-13640-1291183517_thumb.jpg

I think that was before any computers I came into contact with, Shy, but I do remember seeing a picture that had only the ctrl alt del keys for the keyboard... I'll try to find it and if I do I'll post it under jokes or something... it had a funny caption too ;)

Edit: I found it. I'll just attach it here ;)

Remember those types of connectors; the round one on the other end of the ALT-CTRL-DEL "keyboard"? That *is* old.. I've seen separate NUM pads before but your picture is the first I've ever seen of that pad. Any way to verify if it's (was) a REAL item or just a joke pad?? Believe it or not, there is still a picture of it on Amazon.com as a sales item but by an individual - must be Amazon MarketPlace - zero in stock; no idea when more will come in. *WIDE SMILE*

Speaking of soft resets MT16:

History

This keyboard combination was implemented by David Bradley, a designer of the original IBM PC. Bradley originally designed Control-Alt-Escape to trigger a soft reboot (without warning or confirmation by the user), but he found it was too easy to bump the left side of the keyboard and reboot the computer accidentally. He switched the key combination to Control-Alt-Delete, a combination that was impossible to press with just one hand (this is not true of later keyboards, such as the 102-key PC/AT keyboard or the Maltron keyboard). More advanced operating systems use its status as a "reserved" combination for various purposes, but often retain the ability to trigger a soft reboot in certain configurations or circumstances. Bradley is also known for his good-natured jab at Bill Gates, at that time the CEO of Microsoft, and also the creator of many of Microsoft's programs: "I may have invented Control-Alt-Delete, but Bill Gates made it famous". He afterwards elaborated that it was made more famous due to Windows NT logon procedures ("Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete to log on"). However, while Bradley implemented the key sequence in the ROM BIOS, he did not suggest it; the team of the then chief programmer of the IBM PC Project, Mel Hallerman, did. The combination first originated with the Sphere 1 in 1975, though - arguably the first ever complete personal computer.

EDIT: More at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ctrl-alt-del

More than you ever wanted to know about the 3-finger salute.. :D

~Shy

Edited by ShyWriter

In all honesty i do not miss anything about old OS's. "committing illegal acts" for just one got old real fast!

I suspect that if most users these days had to put up with eg even Win 95 for one lousy day their Wife/Husband/ partner/SO would get beaten and the dog yelled at ;)

Thanks for the info & the link, Shy :D

haha that's hilarious that it's on Amazon. I had thought that that picture was a joke...maybe it is a real item, probably just a novelty, though. I'll ask him where he got it, he's had it since he had his Win98 machine though, so quite a while...

Yeah, those round-back connectors, I remember them quite well, still see them on a few machines here and there... I don't think that they'll be coming back, though. Everything is USB or (some other new thing that I have no idea about) these days...

@goldhound

Yeah, I don't miss the illegal operation messages either.... those were so annoying and happened so frequently ;) I'd nearly forgotten about that until you brought it up.

Thanks for the info & the link, Shy :D

haha that's hilarious that it's on Amazon. I had thought that that picture was a joke...maybe it is a real item, probably just a novelty, though. I'll ask him where he got it, he's had it since he had his Win98 machine though, so quite a while...

There were 150 separate URLs for that picture on TinEye.. So real or false, that picture/item has seen a few zillion miles. And the pleasure was mine. Since I usually don't know diddly about squat I enjoy the challenge of finding out answers to nagging little questions my mind comes up with. :)

~Shy