MSE or Avast

Comprev

You should never have more than one anti-virus program installed at a time. They can conflict and cause system freezes, lock-ups, and having more than one can even lower your system security.

Choose one, uninstall the other one.

:welcome:

From SOFTWARE UPDATES - crosspost..

kZXHE.jpg

Microsoft tempts antitrust lawyers with expanded antivirus offering

By Ed Bott | November 3, 2010, 9:19pm PDT

Updated to include more details on updates conditions as well as statement from Symantec.

You want a good, solid, free antivirus program? Microsoft Security Essentials fills the bill nicely. Unfortunately, even though it was officially released more than a year ago, it

Uninstalled MSE, kept avast!

Wrong move. Go here: http://goo.gl/RZEzZ and be educated. Then when you've uninstalled Avast and re-installed MSE and rebooted then, if you haven't done so already, install MBAM following the excellently laid out instructions already referenced by many in these forums. i.e. MSE and MBAM co-existing.

Yup, totally the wrong move keeping Avast. Totally.

Good move imo, mse has worse detection's, slow scanning speed's and is more resource hungry (mse 40meg) (avast 10meg) ram and less configurable :D

Hi graigb - Please list related information if you make these claims - They may be true but at least back them up with some related items -

I am with Kernel Krumpet on this one - Long time MSE user and NO problems ---

I set scan times , update times , whether to remove all detected or just quarantine and several other options if you look at the settings area of MSE -

Hi graigb - Please list related information if you make these claims - They may be true but at least back them up with some related items -

I am with Kernel Krumpet on this one - Long time MSE user and NO problems ---

I set scan times , update times , whether to remove all detected or just quarantine and several other options if you look at the settings area of MSE -

noknojon- i back my claims up with my own personal usage and testing of these product's, mse 1 and 2 beta i found to be roughly the same in all there attributes but neither have quite the ability's that avast has .

Mse is a reasonable program but is lacking in the areas i mentioned earlyer.

You only have to give avast a try and you'll soon see the benefits and prove it to yourself.

You only have to give avast a try and you'll soon see the benefits and prove it to yourself.
I have used Avast on the XP and also on the Win7 machine - MSE showed preferred results on the XP , so I will still use it there -

As I have not yet finally settled on a final antivirus for the Win7 , I am trying each one for a few weeks and then making a decision after that -

AVG 2011 (free) is no longer a very good option , for many users , as I discovered on their forum recently , so that is one I will not look at -

I was only asking for any relevant results due to the reasons you stated above - YoKenny1 is always asking when I will use Avast (answer = soon) -

I have used Avast on the XP and also on the Win7 machine - MSE showed preferred results on the XP , so I will still use it there -

As I have not yet finally settled on a final antivirus for the Win7 , I am trying each one for a few weeks and then making a decision after that -

AVG 2011 (free) is no longer a very good option , for many users , as I discovered on their forum recently , so that is one I will not look at -

I was only asking for any relevant results due to the reasons you stated above - YoKenny1 is always asking when I will use Avast (answer = soon) -

Yes i know YoKenny, we've had several chat's in the avast forums and i can remember him saying something about you might be coming over to avast.

Be good to see you there once you've made your decision. Once avast stop's supporting 4.8 at the end of the year improvement's will be in leap's and bound's with version 5 as they wont be wasting needless resource's on older versions.

Version 5.1 is due at the end of this month which will have behavioral shield scanning for 64bit and a few other improvement's and it's on the grapevine that version 6 wont be to far away either.

I am sticking with avast, it is fast, resource light, and will help protect your computer.

I put MSE on someone else's computer, MSE can schedule scans, while free avast doesn't easily.

MSE is the most

"Idiot Proof"

I believe avast might have better detection rates, but that is only what I heard.

hi.

i say if the anti-virus you are using protects you then stay with it.

testing with 6000 trojans is ridiculous TBH.

it doesnt prove anything and most users are not going to come across them.

if the user is irresponsible enough to go to shady websites and get infected then thats their fault not the anti-virus.

its just a case of having faith in what you have installed and surfing safely.