Tiscali Mail and Thunderbird Help!

SarahES

Ok I'm asking you guys because I am STUCK! My dad just bought a new laptop with Windows 7 on it and has been tryin all night to get his tiscali mail popped/forwarded to his Thunderbird client. We've both tried, him on his new laptop, me on my old one that has all the basic specs of his previous one. It used to work for him!

I've tried everything I can think of: POP, IMAP, 995, 110, 993, SSL/TLS, NONE, you name it, I've tried it. I can get the smtp to give me a 'green light' on the set up but the incoming is just not having any of it. I've even tried it in Outlook and it won't work there either!

I can't find any settings or guidance online apart from the standard set ups from other users. I'm SO STUCK!

Help! Please!

Sarah

Hi -

Your first problem is that you do not get Outlook Express on Windows 7 - Your last O/S was most likely XP -

Try This item , and at the bottom it shows how to use/install the new Windows Live mail -

You may also want to ask/post on the Tiscali Forum about this subject -

A link to the forum is Here - It seems they have a few unhappy clients at this time ??

Thank You -

Hi. Thanks for the reply! Yes we did have XP on his old one, and I currently have it on mine (along with outlook) but it wont even work on that! Basically, we've tried it on both OS. He doesn't want Windows Live (I have that and Yahoo, both of which are popped to my Thunderbird). We just can't understand why, when it once worked, it wont work anymore on either XP OR Windows 7, on Thunderbird OR Outlook. I also don't understand why Tiscali don't have the settings available online for the pop and forwarding like Yahoo and Live do. It makes no sense. Tomorrow's step will be contacting Tiscali. Yeah, I get the feeling they are having some serious problems!

Thanks again,

Sarah

• Root Admin

Hi Sarah,

One of these posts should hopefully help you to get Thunderbird working on the new computer. You may also want to make sure that your current Anti-Virus or Phishing filter and/or Firewall are not blocking Thunderbird on the new computer.

How to Transfer Thunderbird Settings and Email on a Windows PC

Thunderbird to Thunderbird Mail Transfer Tutorial (windows)

AdvancedSetUp.

Thanks for the links but we don't have the email account there to start with. We're struggling to set it up to begin with.

My Dad's old laptop, which decided to die, had XP on it and the Tiscali fwding/popping to Thunderbird worked.

His new laptop has Windows 7 (brand new) and so we cannot transfer the Thunderbird account/details over because there is no account to transfer in the first place. That's why we're trying to set it up.

I'm sorry if I'm not making sense, but basically, the OLD laptop is dead, we can't transfer the settings. We can't set up the settings on the NEW laptop and we can't get the settings to work on MY laptop either. The auto set ups just wont find the settings, and I've been through numerous manual set ups still to no avail.

Sarah

Hi -

No problem -

I have given up on Windows mail now on my Win7 laptop and only installed Yahoo email -

My XP desktop still has Outlook Express installed (with Yahoo also) and they are the only 2 emails I use now - (Easier) -

Please read the items left by AdvancedSetup as they may help -

Thanks , and good luck -

It could be perhaps because the account is still technically active on the other machine?

Is there any way to possibly delete the account off the old computer, or is it completely dead? What I mean is did you have Thunderbird for the email in question on the old computer? If so, this MIGHT be the reason you are having this problem.

Check out their support page, and feel free to ask a question on there if you don't find any answers :)

http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/support/

Right! I had a brain wave today and decided to take the old laptop to bits and salvage the hard drive. I put it in my external caddy and hey presto! It's all there! So I used the first link that AdvancedSetup provided and transferred the original profile settings from the old hard drive to the new computer thunderbird profile!

YEY! It works!

(Also salvaged some memory and updated my own, always a bonus!)

So thanks to everyone for the help (noknojon, AdvancedSetup and mountaintree 16)!

Many thanks

Sarah