.rdf file

Amethyst

I just found a Remote Desktop file with an .rdp extension in the My Documents folder of my desktop computer. The file is 0 kb in size. It was created back in March/10. I see from my notes (I keep notes of updates and any events for my computers) that I had been baffled that day by a 'my connections' showing a high volume of packets that had come into my computer that day, and I couldn't justify the volume and I was worried about it.

I don't use remote desktop, never have. I don't have the Windows Firewall set to allow it either. I'm wondering if this is anything to be concerned about. The desktop is on a home network with my laptop. My son's laptop is not part of the network, but he can print from his laptop with the desktop running the printer. There is an Xbox 360 accessing the internet as well, but it's not connected to any of the computers.

Desktop: Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002 SP3, Windows Firewall

Laptop it is networked with: Windows XP Pro SP3, Outpost Free for a software firewall

Son's laptop (not on network, although his computer can 'see' the desktop): Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit...I think he's got SP1 on there. Uses Windows firewall.

We're all behind a router with a firewall.

All 3 computers use MSE as an AV. The desktop and my laptop are running Malwarebytes Pro.

My last sets of routine scans (with MSE, MWB, and SAS) were all clean.

The name of this file is actually "Default". It has a remote desktop icon. Under properties it is described as "Remote Desktop Connection". If I right click it, the top item that appears on the list of things to do with it is 'connect'. It was created and modified March 8, 2010 at 8:16 p.m. It's attribute is "hidden".

I've checked my Remote Desktop settings, and it isn't enabled and I've never enabled it

can't edit the title without a mods help, you can go into your post and edit

an .rdf extension
change it to .rdp --- I have appx: 18 rdf files by going to start

then search "all files and folders" you may find more... .rdp I have none.... good luck with that, glad there clean....regards..

I just found some articles about this, and I guess I was thinking something sinister had put this onto my computer. After reading these articles, I think everything is probably fine, especially since this .rdp file of mine contains no information about connection settings.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885187

And

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/m...arteremote.mspx

As per that second article, an .rdp file can be opened and edited via a right click menu option. I used the 'edit' function, and there isn't anything listed there in the way of computers that there might be settings to connect with.

So it does look like this is one of those things MS just put in there during an update. Not that I know which update because it took me this long to even notice the file sitting in there. (I had just re arranged the stuff in the My Documents folder and then I saw this today.)

Thanks, Yardbird. :)

Well, I now have a Default.rdp file in My Documents on my laptop as well, just created this afternoon. On my laptop, I had gone to Start-Programs-Accessories-Remote Desktop Connection. I think my laptop created the file just today as a result of my clicking on that. I wanted to see if, perchance, my desktop computer was listed there, which it isn't and that's as it should be.

Hi -

If it is a Hidden File/Folder , use this method to open them , and then close them after (if) you find the item -

Show Hidden Files and Folders in Windows XP:

• Click Start and select My Computer
  • Click the Tools item from the menu at the top of the window (if you don't see Tools press the Alt key on your keyboard and it will appear)
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure Show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, uncheck the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, uncheck the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes
  • Click Apply then click OK

Then do a search for the item - Once finished , you reverse the procedure to hide them again -

Reset Hidden Files and Folders in Windows XP:

• Click Start and select My Computer
  • Click the Tools item from the menu at the top of the window (if you don't see Tools press the Alt key on your keyboard and it will appear)
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure Do not show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, check the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, check the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes
  • Click Apply then click OK

Thank You -

EDIT -

This function (remote) is built into XP - It was designed basically for M/soft agents to assist you online -

@noknojon:

I already have my system set to show hidden files and hide protected operating system files. I can see the file when I am looking for it through explorer.

@Haider:

When I first noticed this file on the desktop PC yesterday, it was not present on my laptop. When I went into Start-Programs-Accessories-Remote Desktop on the laptop yesterday for the very first time ever, a Default.rdp file showed up right away in the My Documents folder on the laptop as well. Properties say it was created at that time. So even clicking on this via that route will leave you with an .rdp file in your My Documents folder, even if you never connect to another computer that way.

It is possible that when I was doing some poking around on the desktop on March 8 (the date when the Default.rdp file on the desktop was created) that I may have accessed Remote Desktop for some reason, although I don't remember one way or the other and I didn't write it down. I had been concerned about packet volume that day on the desktop computer, but I see that I noticed that high packet volume at 4:16 p.m. that day and the Default.rdp file wasn't even created yet at that point. The Remote Desktop icon wasn't created until 8:16 p.m. that day. I just created a new MS Word file and checked the time created on that to see if my computer is correctly recording that, and it is. So...I don't know.

Remote Desktop is not currently enabled on the computer and my firewall isn't set to allow it either.

(I'll likely scan the computer with an extra program tomorrow anyway, though. I have a tendency to worry overmuch about this stuff sometimes, but it never hurts to get a second opinion every so often when it comes to security anyway.)

@Haider,

Do you mean the Remote Desktop Help Session Manager Service? On both my systems, they aren't running but they are set to Manual. I see the recommendation on this site (below) is that this service can be disabled unless one actually uses it.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/remote_desktop_help_session_manager.htm

Going to the Control Panel-System-Remote tab, I have no checks in the boxes to allow Remote Assistance or use Remote Desktop.