MBAM ERROR UPDATING (12007,0, WinHttpSendRequest)

Hi, i've been having this problem for a few months now and i've been unable to update MalwareBytes. I run windows xp home edition. I've added exceptions to my antivirus software, i have tried resetting my router while my pc was disconnected from it and then flushing the dns cache. I really don't know what to do, and would really appreciate a little help.

My solution was to make sure that DNS settings were obtained automatically from the ISP. When I had the settings on Static I could not get updates. As soon as I changed to "automatically get DNS setttings from ISP" it worked. Just thought that I would post up my solution as I had also reset the router and all with no success. I figured it out by booting into Linux. In Linux I could not get to the manual update site just as I could not get to it in Windows. So I realized that it was a DNS issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

Try this Microsoft utility above and reset your router - At the back there is a small hole for a paper clip or pencil to fit in (hold for 10 seconds) -

ipconfig /flushdns

Copy and paste this into run box or press Windows Logo + R and the box will appear -

If that will not work then an item may be blocking the system - Please follow these instructions -

Please print out, read and follow the directions Here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic Here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post - Please allow at least 48 hours for a reply as the experts can get busy at times -

Also add a brief note to the experts as to your problems -

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org or via Here

Always use the ADD REPLY Tab at the bottom of the page when you reply -

Thank You -

Hi brmorris -

That linked story is correct - We are getting several posts every day that most people think is a Malwarebytes problem -

There has been a lot of Russian (and other) sites returned when we ask for the tracert results -

If you do not get the correct Malwarebytes return then it is a router hijack/infection problem -

Step 1

Click on
and let me know what it says. It should be just a 4-digit number in the upper-left corner. Our current update.

Step 2

If you use
Norton Internet Security
, and you have the
Add-On Pack
installed, then please note that the Add-On Pack will block the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware update process. Symantec has discontinued support for the Add-On Pack, and they have asked us to recommend to their customers that they uninstall the Add-On Pack and replace it with
. Since Norton Online Family is compatible with the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware update process, replacing the Add-On Pack with it will solve any Norton Internet Security related update issues.

Step 3

Please download and run the traceroute utility at
. It will run a traceroute to our update servers to see if it can find the connection issue, and then it will write it to a log, and open that log in Notepad when it is done. Please either save the log as a Text File and then attach it to a reply, or copy and paste it into a reply, and I will forward it on to our server guy.

Note that it may take several minutes to run, and it may look like it is not doing anything for a few minutes. Normally it takes longer when there are errors that it has to log, but it's rare for it to go more than 10 minutes. At this time it should return at the end Name:

edge.data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Address: 68.232.45.133

This current diagnostic item is designed for Malwarebytes Version 1.46 - It will alter later -

• 2 weeks later...

hello, total computer illiterate noob here, I have same problam as stated in this thread. Ran trace route and got the following result after being unable to get 4 digit code from your website.

Traceroute Malwarebytes CDN version 1.5

Mon 10/11/2010

6:17:08.39

Phase #1

Tracerouting: data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Unable to resolve target system name data-cdn.mbamupdates.com.

DNS Info

Server: UnKnown

Address: 213.109.66.237

============================================================

Phase #2

Tracerouting: llnw.data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Unable to resolve target system name llnw.data-cdn.mbamupdates.com.

DNS Info

Phase #3

Tracerouting: edge.data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Unable to resolve target system name edge.data-cdn.mbamupdates.com.

DNS Info

Finished at: 6:17:10.00

Hello ShermansWar: :lol:

Please start your own topic using PogTD.png button even though problem seems to be identical, this way your post won't get buried and lost. Please provide following details, someone will help you:

1. OS version including 32/64-bit
  2. Installed Security Product(s) including Firewall
  3. MBAM version (current 1.46)
  4. Definition version (current 4793)
  5. Connection mode to Internet i.e. any router involved or directly through modem

You clearly have DNS issues

ShermansWar, Sorry to hear that you are having the same problem, and sorry if your post went un-noticed, it would have been better if you started your own topic, but no worries now......

That traceroute log shows a DNS issue, and it's possible that your DNS settings have been hijacked.

Try this - It is general solution that works most times -

You may want to copy/paste this to notepad as you will disconnect from the Internet for a while -

1. Very important: First disconnect your computer from the Internet. Just Log Off- while you reset the router -

2. Router Reset: Next you must reset the router to its default configuration. This can be done by inserting something tiny like a paper clip end or pencil tip into a small hole labeled "reset" located on the back of the router. Press and hold down the small button inside until the lights on the front of the router blink off and then on again (usually about 10 seconds).

• NOTE: To help prevent the router from getting hijacked again, make sure you change the default password to the router and also secure your wireless connection.

3. Reset the IP/DNS settings of your Internet connection:

Download this Microsoft Item

4. Flush the DNS cache:

• Click the Start logo in the bottom left corner of the screen
  • Click on Run or press Windows Logo+R
  • In the command window copy/paste the following:
    ipconfig /flushdns
    netsh winsock reset

• Then hit enter and a black box will flash .
  • Exit the command window.

Thank You -