itunes crashes when performing diagnostics

Unable to burn CD's because iTunes reports no valid burner found.

Anti-Malware found about 6 infected files, which I removed. Ran defogger, no error messages, and have left the CD emulation drivers disabled.

Below is the DDS.txt text

DDS (Ver_10-03-17.01) - NTFSx86

Run by Phil at 2:33:38.97 on Fri 08/20/2010

Internet Explorer: 8.0.6001.18943 BrowserJavaVersion: 1.6.0_21

Microsoft

ark.zip

Hello retiredPhil! Welcome to Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Forums!

My name is Borislav and I will be glad to help you solve your problems with malware. Before we begin, please note the following:

• The process of cleaning your system may take some time, so please be patient.
  • Follow my instructions step by step if there is a problem somewhere, stop and tell me.
  • Stay with the thread until I tell you that your system is clean. Missing symptoms does not mean that everything is okay.
  • Instructions that I give are for your system only!
  • If you don't know or can't understand something please ask.
  • Do not install or uninstall any software or hardware, while work on.
  • Keep me informed about any changes.

Step 1

Please, uninstall the following applications:

1. Adobe Reader 9.3.3

You can read, how to do this here:

Step 2

Going over your logs I noticed that you have

**bam log**

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46

www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 4458

Windows 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2

Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18943

8/21/2010 3:32:55 PM

mbam-log-2010-08-21 (15-32-55).txt

Scan type: Quick scan

Objects scanned: 181165

Time elapsed: 14 minute(s), 2 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected: 0

Registry Keys Infected: 0

Registry Values Infected: 0

Registry Data Items Infected: 0

Folders Infected: 0

Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

**DDS log**

DDS (Ver_10-03-17.01) - NTFSx86

Run by Phil at 23:23:50.06 on Sat 08/21/2010

Internet Explorer: 8.0.6001.18943 BrowserJavaVersion: 1.6.0_21

Microsoft

**Note: If you need more detailed information, please visit the web page of ComboFix in BleepingComputer. **

Please note that these fixes are not instantaneous. Most infections require more than one round to properly eradicate.

Stay with me until given the 'all clear' even if symptoms diminish. Lack of symptoms does not always mean the job is complete.

Kindly follow my instructions and please do no fixing on your own or running of scanners unless requested by me or another helper.

Please download ComboFix from

Here or Here to your Desktop.

**Note: In the event you already have Combofix, this is a new version that I need you to download. It is important that it is saved and renamed following this process directly to your desktop**

1. If you are using Firefox, make sure that your download settings are as follows:
    • Open Tools -> Options -> Main tab
    • Set to Always ask me where to Save the files.

[*]During the download, rename Combofix to Combo-Fix as follows:

CF_download_FF.gif

CF_download_rename.gif

[*]It is important you rename Combofix during the download, but not after.

[*]Please do not rename Combofix to other names, but only to the one indicated.

[*]Close any open browsers.

[*]Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.

-----------------------------------------------------------

• Very Important! Temporarily disable your anti-virus, script blocking and any anti-malware real-time protection before performing a scan. They can interfere with ComboFix or remove some of its embedded files which may cause unpredictable results.
  • Click on this link to see a list of programs that should be disabled. The list is not all inclusive. If yours is not listed and you don't know how to disable it, please ask.

• Close any open browsers.
  • WARNING: Combofix will disconnect your machine from the Internet as soon as it starts
  • Please do not attempt to re-connect your machine back to the Internet until Combofix has completely finished.
  • If there is no internet connection after running Combofix, then restart your computer to restore back your connection.

[*]Double click on combo-Fix.exe & follow the prompts.

[*]When finished, it will produce a report for you.

[*]Please post the C:\Combo-Fix.txt for further review.

**Note: Do not mouseclick combo-fix's window while it's running. That may cause it to stall**

• Staff

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

STEP 01

Using your mouse, Highlight and then Right-click | Copy the entire contents of the Code box below, including blank lines

DDS::
uInternet Settings,ProxyOverride = <local>;*.local
uInternet Settings,ProxyServer = http=127.0.0.1:5555

Open a new Notepad session (Do not use a Word Processor or WordPad). Click "Format" and be certain that Word Wrap is not enabled. Right-click | Paste the Code box contents from above into Notepad. Click File, Save as..., and set the location to your Desktop, and enter (including quotation marks) as the filename: "CFscript.txt" .

Using your mouse, drag the new file CFscript.txt and drop it on the Combo-Fix.exe icon as shown:

CFScript.gif

• Important: Have no other programs running. Your Task Bar should be clear of any program entries including your Browser.
  • Disable your Antivirus software. If it has Script Blocking features, please disable these as well.
  • A window may open with a series of Disclaimers. Accept the Disclaimers to start the fix.
    When the scan completes Notepad will open with with your results log open. Do a File, Exit.

A caution - Do not run Combofix more than once. Do not touch your mouse/keyboard until the scan has completed, as this may cause the process to stall or your computer to lock. The scan will temporarily disable your desktop, and if interrupted may leave your desktop disabled. If this occurs, please reboot to restore the desktop. Even when ComboFix appears to be doing nothing, look at your Drive light. If it is flashing, Combofix is still at work.

Post back the Combofix log on your next reply.

STEP 02

Please visit this site and reset your TCPIP

How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

STEP 03

Please visit this site and restore Firefox back to the factory default settings.

Restore Firefox Default Settings Without Uninstalling It

STEP 04

From within Internet Explorer go to Tool/Internet Options/Advanced and click on the RESET button and close Interet Explorer.

STEP 05

Visit this site to see how to run a FULL DISK CHECK and run one

How to Run Check Disk at Startup in Vista

STEP 06

Download
DDS
and save it to your desktop

Disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.

Once downloaded you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.

Then double click
dds.scr
to run the tool.

When done, the
DDS.txt
will open.

Click Yes at the next prompt for Optional Scan.

When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:

1. DDS.txt

2. Attach.txt

• Save both reports to your desktop

• Please include the following logs in your next reply:
    DDS.txt
    and
    Attach.txt

• Root Admin

How is the computer running now in general?

What we need to do now is run this online scan to search for any remnants. It can take several hours, so please be patient and allow it to run it's full course.

Establish an internet connection & perform an online scan with Firefox or Internet Explorer at Kaspersky Online Scanner

**Note**

To optimize scanning time and produce a more sensible report for review:

• Close any open programs
  • Turn off the real time scanner of any existing antivirus program while performing the online scan.

Click Accept, when prompted to download and install the program files and database of malware definitions.

• Click Run at the Security prompt.
  • The program will then begin downloading and installing and will also update the database.
  • Please be patient as this can take several minutes.
  • Once the update is complete, click on My Computer under the green Scan bar to the left to start the scan.
  • Once the scan is complete, it will display if your system has been infected. It does not provide an option to clean/disinfect. We only require a report from it.
  • Do NOT be alarmed by what you see in the report. Many of the finds have likely been quarantined.
  • Click View scan report at the bottom.
  • Click the Save Report As... button.
  • Click the Save as Text button to save the file to your desktop so that you may post it in your next reply.

The original problem of iTunes not recognizing the disc burner remains, "Disc Burner: No supported Disc Burners found." and then when I run the diagnostics on the CD/DVD, iTunes crashes, "iTunes has stopped working."

Also, during start up I get the following messages:

Error in C:\Windows\system32\nvsvc.dll

Missing entry: nvsvcStart

PcSync2.exe Unable to locate component

MFC71U.DLL not found

The results from the Kaspersky test follow

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KASPERSKY ONLINE SCANNER 7.0: scan report

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Operating system: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition, 32-bit Service Pack 2 (build 6002)

Kaspersky Online Scanner version: 7.0.26.13

Last database update: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 13:05:39

Records in database: 4238222

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scan settings:

scan using the following database: extended

Scan archives: yes

Scan e-mail databases: yes

Scan area - My Computer:

C:\

D:\

E:\

F:\

G:\

H:\

I:\

J:\

Scan statistics:

Objects scanned: 265224

Threats found: 2

Infected objects found: 2

Suspicious objects found: 0

Scan duration: 07:13:26

File name / Threat / Threats count

C:\Users\Phil\Downloads\CoolMOVToMP4ConverterSetup.exe Infected: not-a-virus:WebToolbar.Win32.RK.bl 1

C:\Users\Phil\Downloads\CoolMOVToMP4ConverterSetup.exe Infected: not-a-virus:WebToolbar.Win32.RK.bm 1

Selected area has been scanned.

Please visit the Nvidia site and download the latest version of the video driver for your video card and install it and reboot the computer.

Let me us know if that error goes away and if the issue with the CD/DVD remains.

http://www.nvidia.com

Updated my Nvidia driver. Original problem remains the same, iTunes doesn't like my DiscBurner and the diagnostic crashes iTunes.

Startup has changed. Only message left is that PcSync2.exe failed to start due to MFC71U.DLL missing, with the suggestion that reinstalling it might fix it.

• Root Admin

pcsync2.exe is a process which belongs to the Nokia PC Suite which synchronizes your phone with your PC

pcsync2.exe is a process which belongs to the Nokia PC Suite which synchronizes your phone with your PC

I will be pursuing the suggestions you have made. But two things:

1) I am able to burn CD/DVD discs with other s/w, just not iTunes.

2) I found this two year old thread discussing the same problem with a maybe similar answer

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa;j...7

The relevant post is:

FYI

Right

After much ferreting about in the innards of Windows XP I think I have something concrete, at least in my particular instance:-

1) Do the Microsoft thing and delete the registry entries for BOTH UpperFilters and LowerFilters.

2) Reboot

3) Reinstall iTunes 9 or whatever you were using, the Repair option was what I used from the Change option via Control Panel.

4) iTunes still cannot find drives and you get the registry problem message at start up.

5) Download this patch from Roxio (you may even need to install some version of Roxio, I have Roxio 2010 Pro)

http://patches.sonic.com/PX/pxengine1_08_34a.exe

See the page at http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=3755 for more info

6) Reboot

7) You not done yet!

8) Make sure the Gear drivers are installed

9) Run regedit and go to the Upper/Lower filters entry as above

10) There should exist a LowerFilters entry PXHelpxxx or similar but NO UpperFilters entry.

11) Create an UpperFilters entry in the same registry hive

Thats Edit | New Multi String Value

paste the GEARAspiWDM in the UpperFilters entry and save the Registry by exiting

12) Reboot

13) Check itunes/roxio/nero can detect burners

14) Check itunes can now burn CDs

I have checked the resultant CD and it was OK.plays in an ordinary portable CD player.

It may not work for all but it worked for me!

Phew!

I will post the results of your suggestions soon.

The filters log follows:

Filter Check Tool v3.4

An Upper Filter found is: GEARAspiWDM

Filterdriver properties are:

No Lower Filters found.

If I understand correctly, this is the minimum configuration and is correct. Yes?

It seems that iTunes cannot deal with what I call virtual devices. They seem to need the CD/DVD burner to be D: My CD/DVD is F: with two hard drive partitions intervening; D: is "FACTORY_IMAGE and E: is "HP-PAVILION". I'm guessing that these "filters" are a mechanism to redirect I/O to the hardware device and iTunes just ain't using them correctly. If so, I need to take this up with Apple, right? BTW, I need iTunes to burn audio books from Audible.com; Audible is very anal about their copyrights and iTunes is the only burner they allow. My workaround is to use my laptop.

• Root Admin

I would backup the registry first. Even manually export a copy of that Key path and then remove the settings as described. The provided links should also have a discussion forum for this.

There is also this one from Apple Forums

This is more so in the case that it just does not work but this method may help too

Regardless of which method you use make sure you BACK UP the Registry first.

Backup the Registry:

Modifying the Registry can create unforeseen problems, so it always wise to create a backup before doing so.

• Please download ERUNT from here
  • ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.
  • Double click on erunt-setup.exe to Install ERUNT by following the prompts.
  • Use the default install settings but say NO to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the Start-Up folder. You can enable this option later if you wish.
  • Start ERUNT either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup process.
  • Choose a location for the backup.
    • Note: the default location is C:\Windows\ERDNT which is acceptable.

[*]Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are selected.

[*]Click on OK

[*]Then click on YES to create the folder.

Note: if it is necessary to restore the registry, open the backup folder and start ERDNT.exe