Renewing IP adress??

So, my mom's laptop started acting wonky about an hour ago, and while everything works fine, it's the internet that's the problem.

For a minute, my internet also went out, but it was just the ether cable that aws unplugged a bit.

Got that back in and everything's fine on my computer, but my moms still doesn't work.

We tried calling our internet provider, but they basically told us not to use the wireless router we were using and we needed to take it off for the internet to work..................................What?

ANYWAYS!!!!

I tried to do the "repair" option, but it says "Windows could not finish repairing because the

following action cannot be completed: Renewing your ip address".

What exactly does that mean?

Thank you for your time :)

Hi -

Please try these steps first - It will check your internet connection (mainly back to here) -

STEP 01

• Open Internet Explorer
  • Note: It MUST be Internet Explorer, not Firefox, Opera, Chrome or any other internet browser
  • Click on Tools at the top and select Internet Options
  • Note: If you do not see Tools, press the Alt key on your keyboard and it will show up
  • Click on the Connections tab
  • Click on the LAN settings button
  • Under Automatic configuration make sure that the box next to Automatically detect settings is checked, if it is not, then click the box next to it to check it
  • Click on the OK button to close the Local Area Network (LAN) Settings window
  • Click on the OK button to close the Internet Options window
  • Use this diagram as a guide
  • Try updating Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware again and if it does not work then please proceed to Step 02

STEP 02

Disable Internet Explorer Proxy Settings and Reset TCP/IP

It is very important that these steps be carried out exactly as shown otherwise the fix will not work.

If you have any questions please ask before moving on.

• Please start Notepad and using your mouse make sure you select and copy all the information below in the Code box into your new document.
  • Then save the file as "fixme.bat" to your Desktop - The .bat extension is important
  • In the drop down box for Save as type: make sure you select All Files (*.*) and keep the quotes on the name as well. Then close the new file.
    @ECHO OFF
    reg delete "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings" /v ProxyServer /f
    reg delete "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings" /v ProxyOverride /f
    reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings" /v ProxyEnable /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings" /v GlobalUserOffline /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

• On Windows XP you can double-click the file to run it.
  • On Vista/Win7 you need to Right click the file and choose Run as administrator to run it. With User Account Control on it should ask permission to run it. Click Yes
  • This will flash a black DOS box very quickly and go away, this is normal.
  • Restart your computer now.
  • Launch Internet Explorer and see if you can connect to the Internet.
  • Launch MBAM and check for Updates

STEP 03

Ping the Content Delivery Network

For Windows XP:

Click on START - RUN and type in or Copy/Paste the following and verify that you get a response

CMD.EXE /K PING mbam-cdn.malwarebytes.org

For Windows Vista or Windows 7:

Click on START and in the search line type in CMD and you should see cmd.exe show on the menu. Right click over cmd.exe and select Run as administrator

Then in the DOS console window type in the following and press the Enter key and verify that you get a response

PING mbam-cdn.malwarebytes.org

If all the pings failed then please try running the following command

TRACERT mbam-cdn.malwarebytes.org

Then copy and paste back the results on your next reply.

Thank You -

None of the steps were able to help me re-establish internet connection (but thank you for trying! :3)

For the last step, when I entered the first command, this is what came up:

Ping request could not find host mbam-cnd.malwarebytes.org. Please check the name and again.

C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR NAME>

For the second one, nothing happened.

I don't know if this helps, but this is what my wireless network status says:

Network:

Duration: 02:18:37

Speed: 54.0 Mbps

Packets: 2,422 3,793

Then, under support under "Network Connection Details",it says

Physical Adress: 00-0E-35-70-B3-53

IP Adress:0.0.0.0

Subnet Mask:0.0.0.0

• Root Admin

If you're still having issue make sure the wireless radio control is turned on if it has one. Some laptops have a physical button to turn the wireless off and on.

If no help then try unplugging the wireless router you have for a few minutes and then plug it back in and try again.