Vista and latest updates

Anyone have any news of the latest MS updates breaking installed software? I did an install today and the corporate software quit working, on the non admin account we use for regular employees. I could get it to run on an admin account I created for me to use for updates etc, after resetting compatibility to work for XP SP2 ( no idea why that is, but tech support instructed).

We never had an admin account for employees to use, and the software worked fine. Tech support insists it must run on an admin account and just wouldn't accept that it was never on an admin account. I know what it was and is still a regular account. The only other change was to install Spybot Search & Destroy version 1.6. I'm not saying it had anything to do with the problem at all, just stating fact.

Hi Jean,

Here are the latest updates that I got.

post-893-1215820025_thumb.jpg

Jean,

Here is one thing I thought of. If I am trying to troubleshoot a permissions problem I like to use FileMonitor (used to be by SysInternals but It should be on the MS site by now). If you run it as a non-admin user, you should be able to pick out what file they are trying to read/write. Then you can take steps to ensure that GPO enables the correct permissions for everyone in say the development group. You can do the same things using RegEdit except it will monitor the registry instead of the file system. If you have a ton of executables accessing either file or regestry at the same time, you can set up a filter so you only get what you need instead of everything. I have to do this on a fairly regular basis because my kids are regular gamers but some of the games they play want to deposit files in C:\Windows\System32. I almost had a hemorrhage the first time I found one of these. In 2008, game writers can't find any place to write temp files except the system32 directory? Anyway, now I knew what the problem was and how to fix it. This could be a similar situation.

Thanks,

Mike