Mbam hangs after 2 seconds

Hi there

I have been using MBAM on demand for a couple of years and have been very pleased with it.

I did a search for this on the forum but nothing seemed relevant in the results. Apologies if I missed it.

I update MBAM successfully. But when I try to run it the program often (not always) hangs after 2 seconds (on the timer). I need to terminate it via windows (not responding message) to close it.

When I restart the program it then scans successfully. Occasionally it will hang again at 2 seconds and I need to restart it again before it will scan.

This has only started happening in the last month or so and I can see no reason for it.

I went into my c drive and found a file called mbam-error.txt saying "An error has occurred. Please report this error code to our support team. MBAM_ERROR_NOT_REGISTERED (0, 0)"

This is dated 30/4/10.

Can anyone help me get my MBAM working again please? :)

Thanks

dilips

Hi dilip -

As you did not list your Operating System or your A/Virus , here is the full version to Un/Re install a fresh copy of the program -

Select the one that suits your situation -

To Fully Remove and Reinstall a Fresh New Copy of Malwarebytes - Read Carefully

Windows XP:

• Click on Start and select Control Panel
  • Open Add/Remove Programs
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important !
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here

It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so, very important

After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here

Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version only -

Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.

Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask me and I'll explain how to do it.

Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Start button and select Control Panel
  • Click on Programs and Features
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important !
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here

It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so, very important

After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here

Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version only

Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.

Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now reset any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications.

You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask me and I'll explain how to do it.

Thank You - :)

EDIT - The (0,0) is a M/soft error - Something is blocking you or preventing updates -

Current Version is 4168 -

Thanks for that noknojon :)

I should have mentioned - system is Vista and AV is Kaspersky 2010

I carried out the steps you mentioned for Vista.

MBAM is still not running a scan the first time. It went from 1 to 3 seconds this time - instead of 2 - and then hung. I had to restart it as in previous cases.

On restarting program it did run normally.

No updated error log.

So I don't know what the problem is. But it is still here. ***sigh***

Any more help from yourself or anyone else gratefully received.

Regards

dilips

Hello dilips,

Just a side note for the MBAM_ERROR_NOT_REGISTERED (0, 0) error:

If you do not have the full (aka purchased) version of MBAM, then you can safely ignore that code.

If you own the full version and still receive that code after you perform what noknojon asked to do, then you should contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org or here. Remember to include your cleverbridge Reference Number if doing so.

Thank you. :)

Thanks Tony

I don't have the purchased version - I just use the free version. But it's good to know that the error isn't something vital :-)

Now all I have to do is to get it to run first time all the time and not stick at 3 seconds sometimes!

Thanks

dilips

Hi Again -

There is a video provided by Kaspersky Here on how to add exclusions in case you were not too sure -

You can turn off Kaspersky and try a scan without it first -

Regards - :)

EDIT - If that will not work then we must look for some infection -

Extra - To show event viewer history -

Please download VEW by Vino Rosso from here and save it to your desktop

• Double click it to start it Note: If running Windows Vista or Windows 7 you will need to right click the file and select Run as administrator and click Continue or Allow at the User Account Control Prompt.
  • Click the check boxes next to Application and System located under Select log to query on the upper left
  • Under Select type to list on the right, click the boxes next to Error and Warning Note: If running Windows Vista or Windows 7 also click the box next to Critical (not XP).
  • Under Number or date of events select Number of events and type 20 in the box next to 1 to 20 and click Run
  • Once it finishes it will display a log file in notepad
  • Please copy and paste its entire contents into your next reply