New bug in the drivers

I updated MbAM recently and ran a check on my system.

Found no problems as usual. :blink:

This morning after a power bump caused a reboot I ran some full scans for side effects

and found that regedit and regedt32 could not run, giving me this error:

The application failed to initialize properly (0xc000001d)

It didn't take long to discover that the most recent change to my system was the two drivers

MbAM installed in SYSTEM32\drivers. An uninstall fixed the problem.

It may be because I use WinXP SP1 but I thought I'd leave this note here in case other folks

start to see this error code when trying to use regedit. My advanced security needs preclude

the downgraded TCP stack and some security and DRM changes Microsoft made in SP2 and up.

There's no need to fix it if you don't want to support SP1 anymore and I can survive without MbAM

if it won't be fixed for my somewhat rare setup. Just thought I'd let you know in case of problems.

Hard to say if it was a Microsoft bug fix or not until somebody looks at the recent changes in the protection engine.

In any case I'm certainly not suffering any noticeable bugs in my OS at all, so maybe it's just a matter of checking

to see if MbAM protects the registry in a way that could cause regedit to throw this unhandled exception.

My main concern is not to support SP1 but to catch this problem before it hits somebody else in another way,

because a problem in these particular areas could end up making it difficult to recover without a full reformat.

One workaround I found in this case was to use RegHance 2.1 to open my registry, so the difference between that and

regedit/regedt32 will probably lead a capable bug hunter straight to that exception when following initialization in a debugger.

I just noticed that LavaSoft doesn't have RegHance anymore so if you go to MajorGeeks to get it, choose a MajorGeeks download site.

In any case get it anyway because it's a good editor and in my case having the backup editor was a real lifesaver.

Aaron.Walkhouse,

I may be mistaken, and it seems as though you know perfectly well what you are doing and that it works for you, and that your SP1 is out of date, but, it seems as though most software, including security software, has a minimum requirement of SP2 in order to work on XP.

Just like to add for info only that support is ending for some versions of Windows

Support for Windows Vista without any service packs ended on April 13, 2010.

Support for Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2) will end on July 13, 2010.

If you're running one of these versions after support ends, you won't get security updates for Windows.

Read about it HERE