Unable to update

Hello, I am trying to update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.45 and I am receiving the following error message:

MBAM_ERROR_UPDATING (122,0, MultiByteToWideChar)

The data area passed to a system call is too small

I don't know what this means, can someone please help me? Thanks.

• Root Admin

@DBRIMER,

Actually I don't think this is the same error as you're thinking of. This is the first user I've seen report this specific error.

@noobJ,

What operating system are you running and is it 32 Bit or 64 Bit

What Anti-Virus are you running and what Firewall?

Is this an English language installation of Windows or another language?

Is the system experiencing any symptoms that it might be infected?

My OS is XP Home SP3

I am running Computer Associates AV and Firewall (CAISS)

English Language

As for symptoms that my system may be infected? I really am a noob, my system is about 4 years old, and has been getting slower and slower so I have been downloading things that may fix it...THEN I started getting blue screen stop errors and a friend advised me to try MBAM but I could not update it. I ran the scan anyway, it found 7 infections and cleaned them, I was trying to update to run the scan again but got the same error I did the first time I tried, so I thought I should seek help....I have not run the scan again yet.

• Root Admin

Okay thanks. Probably the best thing to do then is have one of the Experts help you to scan and remove Malware on your system.

Please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someon has replied to your post.

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org

@DBRIMER,

Actually I don't think this is the same error as you're thinking of. This is the first user I've seen report this specific error.

It's exactly the same error actually. I personally have gotten it on 5 systems, and friends have gotten it on multiple as well. I am simply representing the group here.

Any starting suggestions?

• Root Admin

Well after searching for this error in other places it mainly only shows up in the HJT forum where each user has been found to be infected.

I would suggest you at least start in the same place as I directed the other user and have someone assist you in scanning your system for Malware.

Uhh... Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't MBAM for REMOVING MALWARE?

The link you sent them/me to starts with installing and updating MBAM. And thats the problem here, we can't update it. What good does it do to scan for malware if it's not with the latest DB.

• Root Admin

Yes it is, however there is Malware that attacks our program on purpose to prevent if from running.

Please re-read the entire post. It says in the middle

If you're still experiencing issues after running the above procedures then please follow the instructions below.

If you follow those directions I'm sure one of the Experts will get you up and going as quickly as possible.

Thank you

I too am getting exactly same

update message.

I scanned the computer and no infections found both prior to and after attempting update.

• Root Admin
I too am getting exactly same

update message.

I scanned the computer and no infections found both prior to and after attempting update.

Hello , and welcome to Malwarebytes.org

We don't work on Malware removal in the general forums.

Please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someon has replied to your post.

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org

I Installed Malwarebytes 1.45 on a new copy of XP sp3 with CA suite Anti virus and firewall.

Had the same problem as my old computer. Disabled firewall and all was fine. on both computers.

The funny thing is I could update with 1.44?? with the firewall on.

Greetings captifive and welcome to Malwarebytes :)

Please exclude the following files from your antivirus:

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

For Windows XP:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

Excellent :)

You might also see if there's a way to allow a particular address. This will be the server where the updates come from in most cases:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

It's possible that their firewall is using some sort of web filter that isn't allowing traffic to or from that address, thus causing updates to fail.

Please keep us posted on how it turns out.