MBAM freezes on zipfldr.dll

Greetings welkin :)

If you open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click the Settings tab and uncheck Always scan registry objects. does the issue still occur?

Please let me know.

Yes, this time it dies even earlier, at the preparation stage when it says "enumerating registry objects"

Please try the following to see if it resolves the problem:

Run a Disk Check on your C: drive in Windows XP:

• Click Start and open My Computer
  • Right-click on C: and select Properties
  • Click on the Tools tab
  • Under Error-checking click the Check Now... button
  • Mark the box next to Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
  • When the message box pops up, click the Schedule disk check button and restart your computer
  • Once your computer restarts it will check the drive, don't press any keys so that it is allowed to do so

Run a Disk Check on your C: drive in Windows Vista or Windws 7:

• Click the Start vista-7-start.png button and select Computer
  • Right-click on C: and select Properties
  • Click on the Tools tab
  • Under Error-checking click the Check Now... button and click Continue at the User Account Control prompt
  • Mark the box next to Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
  • When the message box pops up, click the Schedule disk check button and restart your computer
  • Once your computer restarts it will check the drive, don't press any keys so that it is allowed to do so

Please let me know how it goes.

I did that (well, I restarted computer after clicking yes then left for work, by the time I came back, there was nothing... so I suppose it doesn't generate any report?), but this time (with "Always scan registry objects" still unchecked) it froze again at zipfoldr.dll.

Any suggestions on what to do next? Thanks!

Hi welkin -

Run this CHK DSK code in your Run box then click OK - It will run for 30 mins and reboot your system - Use the method that exile360 described above -

CMD /C ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /R | SHUTDOWN /R /T 30

Next type sfc/scannow into the Run box , place your Install CD in the CD drive and click OK -

The first one will check your disk for faults and the second one will check your system files -

Then use this item to ensure your copy of Malwarebytes is not faulty -

To Fully Remove and Reinstall a Fresh New Copy of Malwarebytes - Read Carefully

Windows XP:

• Click on Start and select Control Panel
  • Open Add/Remove Programs
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important !
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here

It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so, - very important

After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here

Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version only -

Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.

Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask me and I'll explain how to do it.

Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Start button and select Control Panel
  • Click on Programs and Features
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important !
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here

It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so,- very important

After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here

Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version only

Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.

Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now reset any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications.

You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask me and I'll explain how to do it.

Thank You - :)

EDIT - Please use the ADD REPLY Tab at the bottom of the page to reply - Thank You -

I did the check disk command, but didn't do the sfc/scannow because I don't think my laptop came with an install disk (it's a Lenovo T400).

Also when I ran mbma-clean, it will remove mbma fine if it's installed, but hits a "SHGetValue failed with error code 0" if mbma is already removed...

Still no luck however.. still getting stuck on zipfldr.dll :)

Thank you for your patience...

(Unfortunately I have to leave for a trip tomorrow, guess this is still not resolved... could I open a new post about this when I come back?)

• 5 months later...

!FOUND A SOLUTION!

List of files being scanned stops at windows/system32/zipfldr.dll

Dear all, i had the same problem while trying to remove a virus named Desktop Security 2010,

After numerous attempts running MBAM it continued to freeze at

-Enumerating Registry Keys

-4 seconds had passed and the time appeared to be frozen

-file being scanned was: windows/system32/zipfldr.dll

If i did anything with the program, or even moved the mouse, Windows would put a (Not Responding) on the title bar and the program would need to be force closed. After doing this about five times I restarted the Quick Scan, and left the computer completely alone. Even though it appeared to freeze at the 4 second mark, about five minutes later the scan commenced as normal, respondant, and with the correct elapsed time. The scan finished without problem, and then followed by doing a Full Scan using the same technique without problem.

Best of luck, hope this helps!