Open event. Failed to perform desired action. Error code: 2

Hi,

In the last 2 days I started getting the following error message with Malwarebytes:

"Open event. Failed to perform desired action. Error code: 2"

I've had the program installed for about 1 month, so I'm sure that I'm using the latest version.

Thanks!

Hi critzi, and welcome to the forums there at Malwarebytes.org :P

Do you have any reason to believe that you may have been infected within the last few days to a week?

As a side note, please use the "ADD REPLY" button when replying, as this makes the forum easier to read.

Thank you :)

• Root Admin

If you're certain that it was working well for a month now and all of a sudden it no longer loads it could be due to an Anti-Virus update or possibly the program needs an update. Can you launch the program and check for updates and see if that corrects it.

If not then review the FAQ and ensure you have file and folder exclusions for your Anti-Virus setup.

FAQ: http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=10138

If you're certain that it was working well for a month now and all of a sudden it no longer loads it could be due to an Anti-Virus update or possibly the program needs an update. Can you launch the program and check for updates and see if that corrects it.

If not then review the FAQ and ensure you have file and folder exclusions for your Anti-Virus setup.

FAQ: http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=10138

I followed your advice and I do have the latest version, but I did notice one interesting thing: The program is giving me the option to purchase Malwarebytes. I do own it. I have my ID and registration key. Any ideas?

Hi critzi, and welcome to the forums there at Malwarebytes.org :P

Do you have any reason to believe that you may have been infected within the last few days to a week?

As a side note, please use the "ADD REPLY" button when replying, as this makes the forum easier to read.

Thank you :)

I have downloaded a couple of items in the last few days, but I always check them for viruses and malware.

Thanks for the reply!

• Root Admin

Here is a generic canned information on doing the process.

Update and Scan with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

• Start MalwareBytes AntiMalware (Vista users must Right click and choose RunAs Admin)
  • Please DO NOT run MBAM in Safe Mode unless requested to, you MUST run it in normal Windows mode.
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Select the Update tab
    • Click Update

[*]When the update is complete, select the Scanner tab

[*]Select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.

[*]When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.

[*]Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.

[*]When completed, a log will open in Notepad. please copy and paste the log into your next reply

• If you accidently close it, the log file is saved here and will be named like this:
    • C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\mbam-log-date (time).txt

Then post back the MBAM log

You should be able to go to the Protection tab and enter in your ID/KEY again. If that does not work let me know.

Wow, it seems that my registration was somehow wiped out. I re-entered my ID/KEY and was able to restart my protection. Any idea what could have caused this?

Thank you very much.

• Root Admin

Difficult to say, but if you can go find the past couple of logs and post them we might be able to see if we can find anything.

Log File Locations

Quick Scan and Full Scan Logs

• Windows 2000 & Windows XP:

C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs

• Windows Vista & Win7:

C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs

File Protection and IP Protection Logs

• Windows 2000 & Windows XP:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs

• Windows Vista & Win7:

C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs