MBAM turns off Windows Defender?

Sorry if already asked and answered; forum Search is not working properly.

Twice since purchasing MBAM for this XP Home machine, on cold start Defender is turned off. I can certainly turn it back on but I wonder:

1. Is MBAM disabling it because it overlaps with or conflicts with MBAM?

2. I have a new infection not detectable by MBAM that is disabling Defender?

Thanks for any pointers.

Hello and Welcome to Malwarebytes....

MBAM should not be disabling your Windows Defender, far as I know there are no conflicts with it. Something to check, do you have the exceptions for MBAM in your AV?

If you feel you may have an infection you can have the experts have a look by following the instructions below:

We don't work on Malware removal in the general forums.

Please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post.

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org

If you are a corporate customer please send an email to corporate-support@malwarebytes.org. (NOTE: An order number is required for corporate support.)

MBAM should not be disabling your Windows Defender, far as I know there are no conflicts with it. Something to check, do you have the exceptions for MBAM in your AV?

Firefox, I don't think that Windows Defender is an AV program. It's an anti-spyware program, and it apparently works in real time, so there's certainly a possibility of a conflict with MBAM Pro. Here's Microsoft's description of Windows Defender:

"Windows Defender is software that helps protect your computer against pop-ups, slow performance, and security threats caused by spyware and other unwanted software by detecting and removing known spyware from your computer. Windows Defender features Real-Time Protection, a monitoring system that recommends actions against spyware when it's detected, minimizes interruptions, and helps you stay productive."

Sorry if already asked and answered; forum Search is not working properly.

Twice since purchasing MBAM for this XP Home machine, on cold start Defender is turned off. I can certainly turn it back on but I wonder:

1. Is MBAM disabling it because it overlaps with or conflicts with MBAM?

2. I have a new infection not detectable by MBAM that is disabling Defender?

Thanks for any pointers.

Are you using Microsoft Security Essentials?

Just trying to rule out any conflicts anywhere and starting with the AV first..

@ FredEhr what AV (Anti-Virus) software are you using?

Thanks to all for replying. Some answers to your questions:

- Using AVG Free 9.0 for AV; this suite also has an anti-spyware component.

- In addition I have Windows Defender enabled; I notice that it occasionally tells me it's blocking a bad site but unfortunately I can't remember the exact details. However if it's possible that it is doing some good then I'm a bit reluctant to disable it. Not enough knowledge on my part to make that decision.

- I have just now added mbam.exe to AVG's anti-virus exception list (although AVG scans weekly and does not complain about MBAM). Is there any point in adding mbam.exe also to its spyware exception list?

- No, I'm not using MSFT Security Essentials

- Environment is XP Home SP3

Thanks also for the suggestion (duh B) ) to contact support.

These are the exceptions that need to be entered in your AV and your Firewall....

Please exclude the following files from your antivirus:

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

For Windows XP:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

Please post back and let us know how it went.

FredEhr, I could be mistaken, but I'm under the impression that it's unwise to have more than one anti-spyware program running in real time. MBAM Pro runs in real time, and thus there's the danger of conflict with Windows Defender, which apparently runs in real time, and even with the anti-spyware component of AVG. There's nothing wrong with having more than one anti-spyware program on your computer, as long as only one runs in real time. Thus, for example, I've got MBAM Pro running in real time, but I'll do occasional scans as well with SuperAntiSpyware and with Spybot Search and Destroy (but with its tea timer function disabled).

The reason I was asking about MSE is if you have defender installed and then install MSE it disables defender in favor of itself:) But I see this is not the case....

MSE also happens to shut off defender if it gets turned on. I had defender on at one point(not needed as it seems it has exact database)and shortly after and on startup MSE would shut it off. They didn't seem to play well.

@ FredEhr

Try disabling avg then restart and see if that's the problem. Also did you add MBAM's drivers to defender? If not open defender and click tools click add near the box titled "Do not scan these files or folders." After clicking add navigate to the system32 folder and select drivers and look for the following files.

mbam.sys

mbamswissarmy.sys

You need to add them one at a time.

Note: The system32 folder is in the windows folder under local disk ( C )

Edit: Page thought ( C) was a copyright symbol. Had to put spaces. :huh:

AVG disables Defender, on another forum we had a thread discussing AVG turning it off.

B)

I think my apology is in order - suspecting MBAM without much proof. Thanks to Ibrad I found on AVG's site AVG forum post & I quote:

"2672 Windows Defender is automatically turned off during installation

Please note that Windows Defender is only disabled and not removed from the computer.

This is important to prevent conflicts between AVG and Windows Defender. As they are both security applications, they will try to check files you are working with. Since they will do that at the same time, conflicts may arise. These can cause freezing, crashes or slowdown of computer. It is generally not recommend to use more than one security product on one computer."

While I added all the mbam files to the AVG exception list (and thank you for that advice), it seems unrelated to the Defender being knocked off.

I restarted XP and sure 'nuf, Defender is turned off. I'm gonna presume it's AVG's doing and let this rest. Can't resist a slight rant that I bought MBAM because AVG failed to protect me from Trojan.Vundo.H, so AVG's advice is a bit deficient...

THANKS to all who responded!