MBAM install error..need help!

Aloha,

Today I located an active x object in my new vista ultimate 32 bit install. It looked like a rogue or malformed active x object. I scanned it with kaspersky, but no evidence it is in fact malware. I was not convinced because the object was listed as "unknown". :) So I then downloaded MBAM in order to run another scan and have another run at finding out about the object.

Upon installing MBAM..I received the following error:

"an error occured. Please report the following error code to the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Support team.

Error Code: 732 (12007,0) "

:)

So I have two question:

1. what is the error code and what should I do ?

2. Is the following active x object likely malware? ...

here are the details of the object in question:

IE8 - Internet Options - Browsing History - Settings - View - Objects

type: Active X Control

Created: 11/2/2006

Last Accessed: 1/8/2010

Total Size: 4,096 bytes

ID: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000}

CodeBase: http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/shoc...ash/swflash.cab

background: I had performed a clean install of this machine because I suspected there was malware or rootkit ...I perform clean install about each six months as general practice. The interesting aspect of this new object is that is seem to appear just after I visited a MS site offering a online scan...the new MS malware app, called security essentials or something like that...the install of this object caused my entire os to crash and restarted without prompting...there was no secure login at post ..and this had me concerned...I am vaguely familiar with certain malformed flash objects..and I suspect this is some type of trojan infection. I suspect there have been some security policy compromises as a consequence is my intuition on the matter..the odd thing is that my os during the crash presented the most unusual "standby" screen...and I must admit it was very beautifully designed...but definitely NOT the MS build at all. (although I must confess, the screen I witnessed would be a welcome alternative to the MS splash...if I knew how to make it safe and secure...lol)

anyway...I would appreciate the talent and interest of any support team member from malwarebytes in these two issues and any help to resolve them will allow me to send a full pound of authentic hawaiian kona coffee your way in exchange....and hopefully educate myself how to use the tools properly to make this new machine as secure as possible.

thanks and please

:)

Aloha

kailuaboy

post-29242-1262939700_thumb.png

Edited by AdvancedSetup
email removed from post

Hello kailuaboy, and welcome to the forums here at Malwarebytes.org :)

Please read the following:

We don't work on Malware removal in the general forums.

Please read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

Please note that it may take 48 hours or more for you to receive a response in the malware removal forum, as it is often busy at times. Please do not reply to your own post asking for help unless its been more than 48 hours since you originally posted, as this can make it appear as though you are being helped and take longer for you to get help.

Also, when replying, please use the "add reply" button or erase what the person you are replying to said, as this makes the forum easier to read.

Thank you :)

Also, please do not post your email in the future - spambots could harvest it.

• Root Admin

That error indicates the following:

ERROR_INTERNET_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED

The server name could not be resolved.

It's possible that your Firewall or other Security software may have temporarily blocked access.

Make sure you allow file exclusions for your AV and Firewall to allow MBAM access to get updates.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=10138

Hello kailuaboy, and welcome to the forums here at Malwarebytes.org :)

Please read the following:

We don't work on Malware removal in the general forums.

Please read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

Please note that it may take 48 hours or more for you to receive a response in the malware removal forum, as it is often busy at times. Please do not reply to your own post asking for help unless its been more than 48 hours since you originally posted, as this can make it appear as though you are being helped and take longer for you to get help.

Also, when replying, please use the "add reply" button or erase what the person you are replying to said, as this makes the forum easier to read.

Thank you :)

Also, please do not post your email in the future - spambots could harvest it.

Since I am new here and came across this person's problem on how to uninstall malwarebytes and re-install when a trojan deletes the mbam.exe file and causes your GREAT Malwarebytes software to not work and you get error codes like 720 et al, here's how I outwitted what I found was to be a new variant of the Trojan.Vundo.H virus:

Uninstall malwarebytes from add/remove programs. O f course it will tell you that not all components were able to be removed and that you will manually have to remove them (but it doesnt tell you how). So, what you do next is go to the malwarebytes.org website and download the latest version and save it to your downloads folder.

Next, you go to your downloads folder and rename the mbam setup executable file to something like gomb.exe....

If you happen to have malwarebytes installed on another PC, you open the Programs folder to the Malwarebytes Antimalware program folder and display its contents. You should see 15 files including the Languages Folder. Look for the mbam.exe file and copy it somehow to your My Documents folder to save (if you are on a network of home PC's, you can simply copy it over to the affected PC's My Documents folder).

Next, reboot your PC into Safe Mode with Networking by hitting the F8 key repeatedly as the PC boots back up and you get into the Safe Mode screen. Go into safe mode with networking and start your PC in safe mode.

Go into your Windows Explorer downloads folder and run/execute the gomb.exe file. It will install the software and the errors still may show up but thats ok.

Next, go to your My Documents folder and find the mbam.exe file you saved and copy it into the Programs folder for Malwarebytes Antimalware folder. Then click on the Malwarebytes Antimalware folder and you should see the 15 or 16 files including the Language folder and the mbam.exe file.

Next, double click the mbam.exe file and malwarebytes should open up just fine. Then do an update and follow the normal instructions. Upon rebooting, go right back into Safe Mode with Networking. Open up Malware bytes and run a quick scan. You will see that it runs and picks up the trojan infected files (about 18 or 19 of them). When the quick scan is completed, remove the infected files and follow instructions.

Next when you come up to normal Windows desk top, open up the Malwarebytes program and immediately do an update and take it from there...

Lastly, since you only did a quick scan, do another FULL scan of your PC and it will find about 7 or 8 more infected files, mainly in the registry. Remove them, reboot and you should have your GREAT Malwarebytes program running smoothly again.

I hope this helps. Just think about how files and software works and you can figure it out! Good luck!

Hi -

First error 732 is a message that you usually had a momentary dropout (or similar) from the internet - See link below -

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.p...st&p=162097

Next to diagnose the long ID string you have left is the job of the experts in the area mentioned by mountaintree16 -

ID: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000}
and to have an item such as that on your system for 4 years seems strange to be playing up now -
type: Active X Control

Created: 11/2/2006

But I am not an expert so that is why mountaintree16 put forward the best idea -

Good Luck - :)