Long Distance calling via computer

lazydave46

Hello,

I have heard that it is possible to use one's computer to call long distance. Is this possible, and is there anyway that one can circumvent all the roaming and long distance charges via the computer? I have a wireless set up and calling my family in England is just too expensive. Thanks ahead of time for anyone who can answer this a question.

Hi lazydave46

I think it is possible, but I don't really know any details on it unfortunately.

If you are comfortable using a website that is designed for communication, www.stickam.com is a website where you can connect with family and friends and use voice and/or webcam chatting. You can make your profile private and your communications private as far as I know. :) All you need is a computer and internet connection, of course, and a microphone :)

I use it sometimes and it works despite all of my security measures :welcome: (an Internet Security Suite, Mbam Paid, and a HOSTS file).

If you use AIM (aol instant messenger), I know that that offers a voice chat option, at least last I used it. Yahoo! Messenger also has a voice chat, last I knew, and MSN messenger. I stopped using those though, in favor of a messaging client that combines all three and more, but I don't think that it supports voice chat, at least not at this time :) It's called Pidgin, if you're interested.

Also, as a side note, when replying, please use the "add reply" button or erase what the person you are replying to said, as this makes the forum easier to read. :)

Thanks Exile, I forgot about Skype and Vonage :welcome:

Be careful when using Skype though, there are fake messages sent to people (sometimes) trying to get them to click on malware infested links, claiming to be from Microsoft, Skype admins, etc.. - don't be a victim!