Cannot update malwarebytes with vista

Cannot update malwarebytes free on my vista laptop. Using NIS 2009 and set the firewall to allow malwarebytes but getting error on trying to update-703(12029,0)

Ran a quick scan the findings are as follows-

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.42

Database version: 3289

Windows 6.0.6000

Internet Explorer 7.0.6000.16945

25-12-2009 07:15:51

mbam-log-2009-12-25 (07-15-51).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan

Objects scanned: 93923

Time elapsed: 5 minute(s), 9 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected: 0

Registry Keys Infected: 0

Registry Values Infected: 0

Registry Data Items Infected: 1

Folders Infected: 0

Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\UpdatesDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

On rerunning a full scan, nothing was found but still getting the same error

when trying to update. Also scanned with norton which found nothing.

Is malwarebytes having compatibility issues with vista?

Please make sure that if you are using a Standard user account and not an Administrator account that you right-click the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware icon and select Run as administrator when attempting to update and click Continue or Allow at the User Account Control prompt.

If that is not the issue then please do the following to see if it corrects the problem:

Step 1:

Please download and install this to see if that corrects the issue. If it does not then please continue to Step 2.

Step 2:

For Windows Vista and Windows 7:

Show Hidden Files and Folders (Vista and 7):

• Click on the Vista Start vista-7-start.png button and select Computer
  • Press the Alt key on your keyboard and click on Tools
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure that Show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, uncheck the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, uncheck the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes
  • Click Apply then click OK

Then go to C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and delete rules.ref. Once you've done that, start MBAM and when it shows the error and asks to update, let it do so and see if that corrects it.

Step 3:

For Windows Vista and Windows 7:

Reset Hidden Files and Folders in Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Vista Start vista-7-start.png button and select Computer
  • Press the Alt key on your keyboard and click on Tools
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure that Do not show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, check the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, check the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes
  • Click Apply then click OK

Please let me know how it goes.

• Root Admin

Nope... It works just fine on all the newer versions of Windows. Here is what Microsoft says about that error.

ERROR_INTERNET_CANNOT_CONNECT

The attempt to connect to the server failed.

Which means that "something" is blocking it from getting updates. Please review the FAQ on setting up file exclusions for your AV. http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=10138

I am able to download the updates from the site mentioned and manually run it but when i open the malwarebytes and try to update online get error 732.

Tried all steps which exile360 mentioned but still receiving the same error for online updating.

@advancedsetup- Already added the 3 files in norton scan exclusion but still receiving the same error when updating online.

Thanks exile360 although use a dial up connection tried both of your instructions and 2nd one is working. Now i am able to download the updates online using broadband but still not able to use the online updating when using my dial up connection. What could be the reason?

My dial up provider is airtel(Bharti Airtel India ltd). The error code which comes is error 732(12029,0). Also from time to time when I scan with malwarebytes the results show registry infection-`Disabled Security Centre`. Please note I am able to run the Norton live updates. The results of the most recent mbm scan are=

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.42

Database version: 3432

Windows 6.0.6000

Internet Explorer 7.0.6000.16945

26-12-2009 12:37:55

mbam-log-2009-12-26 (12-37-55).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan

Objects scanned: 96561

Time elapsed: 5 minute(s), 43 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected: 0

Registry Keys Infected: 0

Registry Values Infected: 0

Registry Data Items Infected: 1

Folders Infected: 0

Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\UpdatesDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

That error (as indicated previously by AdvancedSetup) would mean that something is blocking it from being able to connect. Please take a look at the following:

• First, please make sure that C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe is allowed\trusted for both the anti-virus component and firewall component of Norton to eliminate that as a possible reason.
  • Second, please make sure that Internet Explorer connects to the internet and can connect to malwarebytes.org when using your dialup connection.
  • Third, please check to see if your dialup connection uses any sort of Proxy by opening Internet Explorer and doing the following:
    • Click Tools and select Internet Options
    • Click the Connections tab
    • Click on your Dialup connection and then click the Settings button on the right
    • Make sure there is no check box under Proxy

Please let me know how it goes.

edit: I forgot to answer the issue with the detection:

That is quite normal when you have a Norton security product installed because it monitors its own status and thus disables the built in Windows Security Center feature in Windows. You can safely have Malwarebytes' ignore this detection.

Actually use mozilla as browser. When tried to browse using IE was not able to browse. So did same settings for the dial up settings as for LAN settings in the internet options of IE. and checked automatically detect settings. Now able to update using the dial up also.

Regarding the detection, I do not have to delete the detection. Should I just restore the detection?

Thanks a lot