custom scans of individual folders/files?

Hello, is there a way to create a custom scan of specific folders/files?

I'm using some applications inside of Sandboxie, have some folders allowed direct access (unsandboxed) to harddisk and at the end of the day want to scan only these particular folders in one sweep. With MBAM's context menu entry, I have to find and right-click each folder manually, which is a drag to be honest. Are there perhaps some extra options for the MBAM command line that I could use for a custom scan like that? (I saw you mentioning in the command line FAQ that corporate users - which I'm not - could contact you for additional parameters)

As an extra safety measure I have set up custom scans in AVG and SUPERAntiSpyware (which have that option), but I trust Malwarebytes the most and would love to have an easier way of just doing the same there.

If not via the command line, is there some other way of doing this that I'm not seeing? If anyone has an idea, I'd really appreciate hearing it. Thanks much.

Welcome chevkoch -

I do not know of any way to custom scan any folders/files except for the option that you are doing - Contact Management for further advice

As the RealTime version is always running in the background it checks processes as they are executed in memory and if they are malicious they get blocked -

I hope this answers your question - If you have a paid version you can contact support@Malwarebytes.org for more information -

Thank you - :D

Thank you for the welcome and both of your replies. I'm using the free version of MBAM at the moment, which is my preferred anti-malware application. Totally understand that some features need to be reserved for the licensed product. I will ponder purchasing the full version. Thanks again.

@noknojon: Malwarebytes' does not scan files as they are downloaded or created as it is not an antivirus and would likely have anegative impact on system performance and possibly cause lockups if it behaved this way. MBAM in realtime only checks processes as they are executed in memory and if they are malicious they get blocked.

Ah, so that seems to say that MBAM realtime is not a solution for my particular task then. From what I gather from GT500's reply above -

If you have paid for a license [...] I will assist you with those steps.

- I'm assuming GT500 meant setting up custom scans for individual folders/files via command line or else is possible in the paid version? Just so that I'm clear on this, thanks.

- I'm assuming GT500 meant setting up custom scans for individual folders/files via command line or else is possible in the paid version? Just so that I'm clear on this, thanks.

Yes, it was something similar to that. The only problem is that heuristics are not used, so there would be a lot of things that are not detected.

... But at least with manually right-clicking on a file/folder and using the context menu scan "Scan with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" all MBAM scan features (incl. heuristics etc.) are actively employed?

Heuristics are not used when right-clicking on a file and scanning. I would believe the explanation from the developers are that the scanning engine and the heuristics are not set up to work in such a way (the heuristics are very dependent on being able to scan more than just files, and when deprived of that they don't tend to work right).

That lets me see these scans in a new light, thanks. It makes sense that with an heuristic approach of detecting certain characteristics and behavior (I just looked heuristics up) when searching for malware, scanning just files might not be enough, if I try to follow your analogy. My best bet is then to run an MBAM quickscan in addition (which I do at the end of each day anyway) I guess. Thanks much for clearing things up for me.