Fall 2024

NewTricks

September 22, 2024 marks the beginning of the autumnal equinox in the northern hemisphere. Fun fact: according to some sources there are two different types of twilight: 

Civil: sun is less than 6 degrees below the horizon

Nautical: sun drops down to 12 degrees below the horizon

Many people live with Daylight Saving Time. If so, we have a couple months before that happens.

In the mean time, weatherizing, home and garden maintenance occupy weekends. Leaf peeping, pie baking,  and cider brewing create the mood.

Photo credit Trees- NBC Connecticut

Penfield.jpg

Fall 2024.jpg

Edited by NewTricks
clarity
  • Like 3

Thanks Dave, the 2nd image is particularly intriguing. I assume it's a mushroom and you're going to tell me what kind! Looks like a fantastic day for a ride.

I've dragged out the Panasonic and am trying to use the Aperture program for depth of field. So far, so good. Good thing too, because periodically the computer burps and gives me a plain purple screen.

P1070297.JPG

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, NewTricks said:

Thanks Dave, the 2nd image is particularly intriguing. I assume it's a mushroom and you're going to tell me what kind! Looks like a fantastic day for a ride.

Old Man of the Woods [ Strobilomyces nigricans ] edible mushroom.

Notice how black the tannin swamp water was in Photo #4

On 9/26/2024 at 10:04 PM, AdvancedSetup said:

Pumpkin patch time

Nothing says autumn and fall like this. Now I'm noticing H-U-G-E gourds all over town. Funny how something can grow so large, given the right opportunity. The pumpkin symbol covers Halloween AND Thanksgiving, that's a lot of mileage.

Are pumpkins available/popular on the West Coast?

This week, during physical conditioning class, I fell to the floor. The good news is, it is clean, smooth and highly polished. Much better for skin than concrete or asphalt.

Four of my classmates immediately came over to help me up, I only needed one!

Falling is a life time consequence of a horse's hoof dancing on my head 48 years ago. The balance mechanism  in my right ear was destroyed.

Yes, age matters, but so do other things. If you don't already, practice balancing on one leg at home to strengthen your skills and consider taking calcium for bone health.

4 hours ago, NewTricks said:

This week, during physical conditioning class, I fell to the floor. ...... smooth and highly polished.

Sounds like a slip/fall hazzard to me.

Surely you would expect something non-slip for an exercise class?

• Like 1

I'm not sure where to post this, so here is as good as anywhere.

This week I have been getting to grips with the CCleaner forum on it's 'new' Discourse platform.

The look is different to Invision of course, but not too unusual that you can't find your way around.
At least we should get better at finding our way round with time.

As usual many things seem to have been broken during the migration.
Missing links, missing images, weird things going on with the formatting of some migrated posts, etc.
Some threads that had previously been closed/locked are now open again, some popular threads now have no option to reply, they aren't closed/locked there's just no reply buttons.
I'll have to check the Discourse documentation but I think that may be because of their many posts length, I think there may be a limit on how many posts each thread can contain.

(That's another good thing, there is plenty of clear, easy to navigate, guidance available on the Discourse website for all levels from newbie users to admins).

Then there are the usual forum upgrade/migration glitches to be tweaked, eg. text being the same colour as the button that it is on so you just see a blank button, menu fields being wider than the discussions and so going off the edge of the screen.

On the moderation side.
We seem to have less of a proactive role checking new users and blocking spam ourselves. We see much less information (email addys, etc) for users.
Instead we find ourselves mainly responding to check what the automatic filters have already flagged for review, I will admit the filters seem to be very good.
There are some things that pop up and give a 'wtf is that about' moment. It isn't always clear just why the system has flagged something for review.
As an example - "New member typed their post too fast". Checking into it there is a # second timer on making a first ever post which is meant to catch any paste-it-in spambots.

The real test of the automatic filters will come next time we get a large spam attack.
Some of the bigger ones we have seen in the past would have been blocked by that new post too fast rule.

However while those lower level tasks have been handed off to the system filters we mods have access to higher level tools which I would usually consider to be admin tools not moderator tools.
For example we mods can now add new words into the watchlists, with different options on how posts containing that word should be handled.
On Invision that is an admin only setting, but it should help us mods act more quickly to block particular spam next time we do get a spam attack that uses consistent wording.
New forum platform, different levels of moderator trust.

All in all it's different, but not so different that we won't soon get to grips with using it.

EDIT
I also now see why they have migrated from Invision to Discourse, they have been using it for their marketing and sales support webpages for a while now so I guess it does make sense to get the user forum in there too so that everything is in one place and has the same visual identity.

Edited by nukecad
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, nukecad said:

some things that pop up and give a 'wtf is that about' moment.

🤣🤣🤣

This can happen anywhere, anytime! but yeah, within that platform, an extra pause moment to decipher.

"New member typed their post too fast".

Wow! That reminds me of an automated course coming up (every 3 years) that allows a reduction in auto insurance for safe driving practices. How utterly discriminatory towards nimble fingers! But better than facial recognition bias for sure. 

It seems like for every forum change or upgrade, inevitable havoc follows. I've been on a Simple Machines forum for a decade, where an update caused a massive, random post deletion last week. I'd gotten a taste of that before, so somehow was untouched this time.

It's demoralizing not to have control over the process like you once did. All in the name of progress too. I'm glad you found a bright spot with tool access you didn't expect to see.

• Like 1

I'm trying to form a new habit, walking 2.15 miles daily. I'm experimenting with the timing, so went out today, at 6:15 AM while it was dark and foggy. Not an appreciable difference in experience, but I was able to shave 7 minutes off my time.

James Clear's Atomic Habits sets out his theory of habit formation. I'm trying to control my sudden unexpected sticky bun, cinnamon cravings, but I'll be darned if I can figure that one out! The closest I've come is to buy Amish homemade molasses cookies, put each in a separate small zip lock bag and freeze them.

When the urge strikes, I break off 1/3 and don't even wait for it to thaw! How is this working?!?

Habits.jpg

615AM.jpg

705AM.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NewTricks said:

I'm glad you found a bright spot with tool access you didn't expect to see.

I have now had another day and found a lot more admin tools/tasks that we now seem to be expected to do.

I have just posted there (in the 'Private' staff room but ### that) that while I'm happy to be a volunteer mod on any forum, being admin on a company forum should be a paid position, with the company supporting your 'official' status - and I'm  not an idiot.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, nukecad said:

I have now had another day and found a lot more admin tools/tasks that we now seem to be expected to do.

I have just posted there (in the 'Private' staff room but ### that) that while I'm happy to be a volunteer mod on any forum, being admin on a company forum should be a paid position, with the company supporting your 'official' status - and I'm  not an idiot.

GoodPost.gif.e60ec16d0bdcbd68e3e081a9ea08d464.gif

• Haha 1

It's just got even better - the forum is in what seems to be a large multi-posting, spam attack from an Indian spambot, but it could have been from anywhere.

They are getting past the automatic filters.

And I'm on my phone not a PC.

I might clean it up when I get back home, but there again ......

Edit- I've just loggedd on to bleepingcomputer and they seem to be having a spam attack there as well.

Screenshot_20240930_191448_Firefox.thumb.jpg.f2152e8d647bf027040755a14c4c4a59.jpg

Edited by nukecad
  • Sad 1

• Root Admin

Clean Talk cannot stop them all either, but it does a much better job than any other products I've seen

With help from others we do a pretty good job of keeping on top of the SPAM that does get through but I remember back years ago when we would get a hundred spam post a day and that was annoying trying to keep up. It sucked up all your time just doing that instead of being able to help users with their computer issues

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm glad to see that you've found and are using your voice. And yeah, I support #### that. Being appreciated, recognized and actually getting money, the trifecta.

Over time I've noticed your "attention to detail" and I hope others will too.