Brand new Ace magic laptop safety concern

Go to solution Solved by David H. Lipman,

Hello.  I'm not sure if this is the right forum/venue to post this question, but I would much rather be safe than sorry.

I just purchased this new Ace magic laptop on Amazon.

ACEMAGIC 2024 Newest Gaming...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CTXXW2QM?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Admittedly, I did not do a ton of research before buying it, but I did some.  There are mixed reviews on it and some say that it comes with pre installed malware, keyloggers, rootkits, and viruses.  Others say they've had no issues and it's a great laptop.

I just received the laptop today and I have not even turned it on yet.

How can I make sure it is clean and safe before I connect to my network and start using it?

Thanks in advance for your time and help with this matter!

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Disabled hyperlinks

@Anagrin Once it is up and running, do the following.

Although I will not be directly assisting you, a malware removal expert will be along to assist after you do the following.

Let's get the info to get the process started. Be aware it will take many steps and scans to fully remove malware.

Please respond to all future instructions from your helper in a timely manner.

Let's go ahead and run a couple of scans and get some updated logs from your system. Please read the entire post below before starting so that you're more familiar with the process

Then follow each step in the order provided. Unless otherwise asked, please attach all logs

Please make the following system changes: Please pay close attention the the instructions in all of the following links.

• If you have not done so already - Enable System Protection and create a NEW System Restore Point  <<<<< Important.
  • Temporarily disable your antivirus real-time protection or other security software first only if it blocks or interferes with the scans or downloads.. Make sure to turn it back on once the scans are completed
  • Temporarily disable Microsoft SmartScreen to download software below only if needed. Make sure to turn it back on once the downloads are completed
  • Disable-Fast-Startup   Windows 8 and newer only <<<<< Important.
  • Show-Hidden-Folders-Files-Extensions

Please run the following scans: Please pay close attention the the instructions in all of the following links.

1. Click the following link and run a  Scan with AdwCleaner
  2. Click the following link and run a  Scan with Malwarebytes
       RESTART the computer <<<<< Important.
  3. Click the following link and run a  Scan with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool 

Example image of where to click to attach files when posting your reply

image.thumb.png.e208c182ff570799c53bcf57

Then be patient for the next expert to take your case. <<<<< Important.

Thank you

@Anagrin

If you were suspicious of this cheap Chinese Brand and maybe you had read previous notes that malware had been pre-installed on their platform, why did you buy it in the first place?

Caveat emptor

I'll be succinct and not pull punches, China is a surveillance state and the manufacturer's "excuse" that RedLine was installed to "speed up Windows" is BS. 

Image.thumb.jpg.6cb430ed0959625da90961da78b669ef.jpg

Even if the platform is wiped and a new OS is installed, the hardware can not be trusted.  Who knows if malicious code is installed in the BIOS and/or sub-component firmware. 

• Only buy systems made by well known, trusted, system manufacturers from trusted, reputable, resellers.  Do not buy off brand, no-name, products from untrusted resellers off of marketplace vendors. 
  • Additionally one should never buy computing hardware at bazaars and auctions. 
  • Even a system is bought used from someone you know, it should be wiped and the OS re-installed from scratch.

Edited by David H. Lipman
Edited for content, clarity, spelling and/or grammar
  • Like 1

Hello David.  I appreciate the straightforward response.  I understand there is a risk in buying cheap Chinese brands, but that doesn't change the fact that I did in fact purchase the laptop.  I bought it from Amazon as a safety measure to be able to return it if needed.  Are you saying that this laptop is infected, and I need to return it?

• Solution

I am saying... based upon reports and the the company's own FAQ on the recent revelation, the platform itself can not be trusted even if wiped and the OS is re-installed from scratch.

Yes, my advice would be to return it ASAP, so that you don't "sleep on your rights", citing the malware incident.