Is Chrome Browser Installed?

Go to solution Solved by NewTricks,

Spectrum.net does not work with Firefox, only Chrome.  I'd like to occasionally use to print bills from the desktop with Win11.

When I search for Chrome, it has all kinds of entries. I don't know exactly what to call these, but I suspect they support other installations. I do not see Chrome as an .exe file, so I'm assuming I'd need to download.

If I do install Chrome as a browser, would I have to leave it on my system?

Could I uninstall without creating havoc?

Thank you for your time.

🌺

Edited by NewTricks
removed attachment privacy issues

Hello @NewTricks:

Perhaps Spectrum could be asked if they would allow the Chrome-based Brave browser. IMHO, the Brave browser is a somewhat safer alternative to Chrome.

When Brave's usefulness has passed, it could be uninstalled.

HTH

• Like 2

I'm a bit surprised that you couldn't find an installer for Chrome, they try to ram it down your connection whether you want it or not.

BTW it is a PITA to completely uninstall Chrome once it has invaded your machine, the unistall leaves so much tracking and other stuff behind that it took me 2 days last time I had to clear up a machine after an unwanted install of Chrome.

• Like 2

https://www.spectrum.net/support/internet/system-and-access-requirements-spectrumnet-and-watch-tv-services

System Requirements for Using Spectrum.net

We're constantly updating our technology to deliver the best experience to our customers. As a result, we recommend that you use the products listed out below for an optimal experience.

Supported Browsers

A supported web browser needs to be used in order to access all features on Spectrum.net.

PC

• Chrome 69 or newer
  • Firefox 63 or newer
  • Windows (OS) with Edge Browser v16

• Thanks 1

Hello @NewTricks:

I'm glad that the Brave browser may be an acceptable abet, a temporary workaround. No doubt you have noticed others would still prefer stay with another popular browser solution.

HTH

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, nukecad said:

it took me 2 days last time I had to clear up a machine after an unwanted install of Chrome.

Yes, my intuition was leaning towards that. I could find plenty of Chrome installers, but nothing would overcome my reservations, which you described. 

9 minutes ago, 1PW said:

the Brave browser may be an acceptable abet, a temporary workaround.

I'm used to this especially when my bank's "chat" feature would only work with Bing. Yes!  I noticed that everyone has very strong opinions about browsers and just about everything else. :lol: Not having decades of decades of solid digital experience can be a plus. 

17 minutes ago, David H. Lipman said:

A supported web browser needs to be used in order to access all features on Spectrum.net.

Thanks for this handy little list. I never thought to look it up like that.

I was in the middle of this chat and was stressing about Chrome, when I forgot I had the Chromebook at all! :( In the heat of battle, my mind goes blank. On the plus side, it doesn't stay blank. 

Thank you to everyone who helped me through this little event. The entire purpose was to print a utility bill to provide as documentation for an Enhanced Driver's License. I couldn't use my electric/heat provider, since I've got a credit and owe nothing. No bill can print is there isn't an amount due! 

• Like 2