Summer 2024

NewTricks

From an Excellus work conference in North Carolina yesterday. A bit simplistic and we could argue points, but mostly accurate. There may be other influences which fall outside the black/white native/adapter thinking

Penny and I got a laugh from it even so. I remarked this is yet another reason why we have trouble communicating.

ExcellusScreen.jpg

• Like 1

A few weeks ago, I was seized with an inexplicable, overwhelming desire to buy and fry ALDI'S  Tomatoes on the Vine. Organically grown in a greenhouse, from Mexico, marketed by Mastronardi Produce Ltd these travel the distance.

This led to noticing this library book, by William Alexander, Ten Tomatoes That Changed the World. Alexander is a foodie with an obsession.

I'm only 19 pages in but hooked by history starting in 1548 with a diverse cast of characters: a Grand Duke, a Spanish Missionary, 2 physicians and Michelangelo.

Obscure detail is interwoven with history and humor. 

In short, the round smooth tomato as we know it came from an ridged, spiked fruit which was once shunned because of its shape and leaf odor. While considered strange and ornamental by the New World, the Aztec civilization had cultivated and enjoyed it for a thousand years.

If you leave the liquid in, it's slurpable. It you cook it down and out, still excellent. I'm doing it with Pumpkin Seed Oil from Walmart.

OhTomatoh.jpg

Friday.jpg

Carrington.jpg

• Like 1

Follow up to the Social Security saga

Consider this a public service announcement, feel free to ignore. This applies only to those in the USA.

If you created an online account with Social Security with a username and password, you won't be able to use it much longer. SSA (the GSA) is requiring all users to migrate to their Login.gov website.

Most users transition and "link" their SSA accounts without problems, but a certain percentage either experience difficulty immediately or shortly thereafter. If that is the case, don't bother to use Login.gov's help desk or contact form. They "resolve" the issue without any input and send an email with the same timestamp of submission. You do have an opportunity to state opinions in the follow up feedback mail.

A word of warning. Calling either SSA or Login.gov is for those who love to interact with bots.

The key to resolution is a personal visit to your local office. A customer service rep will immediately suggest deactivating your account, if you don't suggest it first. This takes maybe 2-3 minutes. Then you receive a 2 page print out with instructions to create a new account.

A critical piece of information is contained therein. Your special, super-duper, one time activation code, ISSUED FROM SSA. This means after entering hopefully 2 different forms of 2FA you will ALSO use THEIR one time code. This magically links your SSA account to Login.gov.

A word to the wise: Linking accounts within Login.gov is the special sauce to make this work. A mere mortal like me can't do it without the SSA fairy godmother's code.

Blessings to all my hand holders, in person, online and through messages.

• Like 1

When Melissa told me she got two (!) 9 week old Corgi puppies and needed a short leash for housebreaking training, I knew exactly what to do. I had the lime green polyester trim and attached some swivel hooks. It was a fantastic reason for using my 1972 Viking machine. At 30 pounds, it's heavier than both those dogs.

Rex and Winnie.jpg

• Like 2

I've been doing baked rolly-polly today, as opposd to the steamed version. Two strawberry jam, two marmalde.

Lots of hot jam, and singed fingers getting them out of the air fryer, but I'll enjoy them over the next few days, either re-heated with custard or sliced into biscuit type swirls.

Sorry no pics, I'm not at home now.

Edited by nukecad
  • Sad 1

On 8/25/2024 at 11:15 AM, nukecad said:

Lots of hot jam, and singed fingers

Yes, that's the way most kitchen efforts happen for me. Custard? Yes, yes, and more YES. (Would go great with those pecan sticky buns.)

I'm intrigued by using a hot fryer to make jam. I would have thought a pressure cooker would be better.

YEAH to strawberry and marmalade.

On 8/26/2024 at 1:56 AM, AdvancedSetup said:

Wilderness, David

Some people are just "citified."

I love to see your adventure photos. You're living in a gorgeous area. Sunlight, blue skies, water, flowers. Unbeatable combination.

3 minutes ago, NewTricks said:

This amuses and confuses me.

Metrics.jpg

MOST ANNOYING !

A recent "update".  I have seen that on 2 replies.  A thread with 2 replies is NOT a "Hot Topic"

I hope this new annoyance can be removed or tuned.

Edited by David H. Lipman
Edited for content, clarity, spelling and/or grammar
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, NewTricks said:

I'm intrigued by using a hot fryer to make jam. I would have thought a pressure cooker would be better.

Not making jam, baking the rolly-polly that has the jam layer rolled up inside it, so that it makes a swirl if/when cut across the roll.

I use the air fryer for most pastry, sweet biscuits, small cakes, and bread buns nowadays. Only larger loaves and cakes go in the oven anymore.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nukecad said:

I use the air fryer for most pastry, sweet biscuits, small cakes, and bread buns nowadays. Only larger loaves and cakes go in the oven anymore.

Much more energy efficient for the size.  winner_first.gif.b4c34b1805eca64df43aafacce465464.gif

• Like 1