Summer 2024

NewTricks

5 hours ago, nukecad said:

baking the rolly-polly

Thanks for the clarification.

5 hours ago, nukecad said:

3 batches of about a dozen biscuits

Whoa! Now, this is pretty decent. We've been talking about it for a while and it usually takes serious convincing before I'll invest.

You've done your part. I'll ask for an Air Fryer for Christmas. 😇

• Like 1

Make sure you get one that's large enough, I'd suggest no less than 3 Litres (3 Quarts) capacity.

I find that 3L is just about right to take a full battered fish, or a steak, or chops, or,,,  and some chips or potatoes for myself, then at a pinch I can get two portions in if I have company.

If you're regularly cooking for more then you may want a larger capacity one. But the whole point is to only use the size that you need to save electricity and time.
If you want ocassional extra capacity then you could get a dual basket one and only use one basket normally, but if you want that then it's often cheaper to buy 2x 3L ones than a single 6L dual basket one.
Plus if you have 2 smaller ones you can put one away in a cupboard when not used/needed.

Other than that just think of it as a small fan oven where the fan blows directly down onto the food to help brown it.

• Like 2

Don't forget roasted vegetables in that Air Fryer or Mini Convection oven.

Such as Golden Beets and Rutabaga (aka; Waxed Turnip and Yellow Turnip).  Cut into cubes and lightly coated with olive oil and your favourite seasonings, they come out great with a little caramelization to boost their flavour.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nukecad said:

I'd suggest no less than 3 Litres (3 Quarts) capacity.

Will do. I only cook for one. But sometimes lose sight of little details like buying the right size to make it worthwhile with a tiny bit of flexibility. I've changed everything about food since April: selection, storage, inventory and prep. My clothes fit, my weight is down, my frig, freezer and cupboards have 98% good stuff. Yeah, I've succumbed to cravings, but done a complete overhaul.

Saving energy has always been an issue for me and using even my dinky dink small apartment oven "hurts." Plus I hate cleaning it.

54 minutes ago, David H. Lipman said:

Don't forget roasted vegetables in that Air Fryer or Mini Convection oven.

Very much looking forward to it. My soup has returned and the slow cooker did the deed with 2 chicken quarters last night.

Thanks to you both for your ideas and reminders. I'm headed for even more improvements.

• Like 1

@NewTricks Did you try the Thermos cooking yet?
That's a great energy saver and much simpler than watching a simmering pan doesn't boil over.

I'm using it a lot of the time now, at least 2 or 3 times a week.
I did rice that way yesterday, Farfalle pasta the day before.
(But I'm thinking chicken and chips (fries) with mixed veg today, so that will be the air fryer).

Edited by nukecad

@nukecad, I did not. That was forgotten when stressful stuff happened. Thanks for reminding me.

Over the last couple months my attitude about simple carbs has unexpectedly changed. I gave away an unopened package of Jasmine rice yesterday. My zeal for pasta, potatoes, rice, bread (!), cerereal disappeared. But not for pecan sticky buns! 😜

I think the Thermos cooking could be applied to vegetables, which now make up 75% of my diet. 

I'll start thinking about that because I DO use a stove burner & an enclosed Thermos would be more efficient. 

The air fryer idea is now sprouting & once I get past the shock & dismay of having my Social Security number & 30 years of life showing on the "dark web", I will ACT. 

8 hours ago, NewTricks said:

I think the Thermos cooking could be applied to vegetables,

It can be, and I have done 'boiled' potatoes in the thermos.
Baby potatoes, or if they are bigger then cut down to fit.
(Note to self - must get a thermos with a wider mouth).

I tend to use frozen veg though these days, handier when only cooking for one and last better than a bag of fresh veg.
Frozen/defrosted veg only takes a few minutes to boil in a jug/bowl in the microwave.

The thermos method is better for foods that you would simmer in a pan for 20-30 minutes or longer.
So raw veg yes as long as it fits in the thermos.

Edited by nukecad

4 hours ago, nukecad said:

I tend to use frozen veg

Yes! They are "righteous" 😆 Wide mouth appears to be the only way to go with Thermos cooking. Hmmmm, this just sparked an idea. I'll say what it is when I find what I have in mind. Just curious, if your part of the world has Aldi stores? If yes, is it 👍or 👎?

https://www.aldi.co.uk/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldi

Aldi (stylised as ALDI[6]) is the common company brand name of two German multinational family-owned discount supermarket chains operating over 12,000 stores in 18 countries.[7][8] The chain was founded by brothers Karl and Theo Albrecht in 1946, when they took over their mother's store in Essen. The business was split into two separate groups in 1960, that later became Aldi Nord, headquartered in Essen, and Aldi Süd, headquartered in neighbouring Mülheim.[9][10]

Edited by David H. Lipman
Edited for content, clarity, spelling and/or grammar
  • Like 1

https://www.tastingtable.com/910536/the-connection-between-trader-joes-and-aldi/

For those who are stunned to learn Trader Joe's isn't just an Aldi subsidiary but that there are two Aldis, let's take a step back. CNBC explains Aldi was originally founded as a suburban German corner store which brothers Karl and Theo Albrecht inherited after World War II. In the economic turmoil of post-war Germany, the brothers worked to cut down waste by only selling staples at low prices and were quickly able to expand their store into a chain. By 1955 they had 100 stores, but in the 1960s, the brothers split the business into two (Aldi Nord and Aldi Süd) after disagreeing about selling cigarettes.

Read More: https://www.tastingtable.com/910536/the-connection-between-trader-joes-and-aldi/

• Like 1

The backstory to redeem my choice, even if I screwed up anyway.

Our building is connected to a generous 2 lane highway with shoulders. The short access into our parking lot is narrow, just enough for 2 compact cars, side to side. I was gonna make a left turn when I saw a city fire truck barreling down the highway. He slowed, did not have a turn signal on, so my Spidey sense went into gear.

Sure enough, the truck started the turn, and to avoid having my left side crunched, I threw it into reverse, knowing there was a ONE WAY sign at my right rear. Despite making brief eye contact, the truck continued his turn while I accelerated in reverse. I didn't feel or hear anything, so I thought I was safe.

Three days later, I noticed something dark on my car. I did indeed hit that sign, which was movable.  After a consult with my car guy, my choices were having professional body work, $$$ or doing a touch up. $$. He offered to do it for me, but I want to do it myself.

My only questions are about the prep. I'm inclined to very gently use a fine grit sandpaper to smooth the surface. He says no. The paint box advises using their fine tip to do the same thing. So, what's the difference between using a fine tip piece of plastic and using a small flat piece of paper?

I've been told the panel which shows the least damage is metal, but the lower panel is all plastic. Correct?

RearRight.jpg

TouchupPaint.jpg

You want emery cloth for metal, not sandpaper which is for wood and soft materials. Sandpaper tends not to last long and to leave deeper scratches if used on metal.

https://benchmarkabrasives.com/blogs/news/difference-between-sandpaper-and-emery-cloth?srsltid=AfmBOooB8_f_U-EJQ5hnMnnWznuOGeRBsTeg3ZbRvsJqgWxxkrjirNBR

For fibreglass/plastic then a fibre pen is usually better for 'small' area touch up as it won't leave as many scratches as emery would on plastic.

They can also be used on metal so your car guy was right that it's probably the one to use for vehicle touch ups.

• Like 2

• Root Admin

Let the car guy do it for you @NewTricks self medication isn't always the best choice. Learning on your own vehicle is also not advisable in my opinion.

I was a professional mechanic for 12 years but I also took a course in auto body repair when I was in high school. There were many samples of untrained people doing body work on their own and it didn't look well let's just say that.

Without high dollar repair it won't be 100% but he might be able to make it much less visible.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Let the car guy do it for you

OK. Point taken. 

3 hours ago, nukecad said:

You want emery cloth for metal,

For reference, thanks. Not sure I've seen or used emery cloth, but that makes sense. 

13 hours ago, NewTricks said:

One more question about small scratches. I've used "rubbing compound" on my older cars because it didn't matter. What is the official name & is it used on metal? 

It's called - Rubbing Compound - although manufacturers sell it under many names.

Like sand paper or emery it comes in different grades and It can be used on metals, or ceramics, or plastics, or jewelry. or .......

It's just a fine abrasive powder, usually in a cream or viscous liquid but can be bought as powder (eg. Jewelers rouge is oftern sold in powder form).

With vehicles it's usually used for scratches or discolouration of the paintwork, not deeper damage.

The finer versions are called 'Polishing compound' which is often used to give an even smoother finish after the rubbing compound has been used.

Here's the Turtle Wax page (USA version) about them and which to use when:
https://www.turtlewax.com/blogs/how-to/how-to-compound-a-car-at-home

Edited by nukecad
  • Like 1