Fake MalwareBytes billing used for phishing

I received this email yesterday and stupidly called the number thinking I had inadvertently upgraded from free MalwareBytes somehow. I was a phishing attempt. I let them on my computer, before I realized what it was. 

They were after information and gift cards.

I reloaded a clean version of MalwareBytes and removed their files from my computer. Here's hoping...

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Removed PII

Thank you.

We have been seeing a plethora of Fake Invoices.  Yours is a common one with the only difference is that is a new phone number.  But a common denominator has been the From address and the To addresses are the same.

No legitimate company would ever use the recipients email address as the sender.

If you think you are infected, please read;  I'm infected - What do I do now?  and then create a post in;  Windows Malware Removal Help & Support  and you will receive one-on-one assistance in checking your PC and removing any malware found.  It is possible that the actor installed a backdoor trojan when you gave access to your PC.

Please reference:

BeneAcctAddressConfirmation1_Page_1.thumb.jpg.05a71ba6999bdd999c8b34bcf3163d3d.jpg             BeneAcctAddressConfirmation1_Page_2.thumb.jpg.d1ba3d1d8e3e49b3c6e72235f821c689.jpg

Edited by David H. Lipman
Edited for content, clarity, spelling and/or grammar
  • Like 1

I'm on an iMac. I've run a new copy of MalwareBytes and the computer came up clean. The computer starts and seems to be running normally. I've reduced the assess settings and changed passwords for the computer and sites that I access.

Anything else that I should do?

Thanks!!

• Like 1

yw.gif.1e355b8ccdbf29941dbbcbd38733efc3.gif

What you have done are good steps of remediation.  But I am not a Mac user so I can't provide any information for that platform.

There is;  Mac Malware Removal Help & Support  where you can ask that and reference this thread.

Edited by David H. Lipman
Edited for content, clarity, spelling and/or grammar
  • Like 1