Explanation for the use of node and msedge background processes

Before I criticize the heavy use of multiple node and msedge processes spun up in the background does anyone know of an official MWB link that explains why the architecture changed over the years to now rely on these processes? It seems to me this just expands the attack surface that malicious / state actors can use to compromise the product. I am considering moving to other products for this reason after years of paid loyalty to MWB.

2 hours ago, RemoveNodeAndEdgeReqsNow said:

msedge processes spun up in the background

Chromium-based browsers run in the background by default.

You have to turn off that feature in each browser manually in the settings of each browser.

For example, turn off the following in EDGE.

image.thumb.png.3d63db0c6e5bc21faccf5a922128fedd.png

• Like 1

My question pertains to why MWB launches browser and node instances at all when I boot up my machine / log in?  What is MWB doing with them? How are they integrated into the product and what are they doing? Shouldn't all network traffic be passing through MWB for analysis anyway? It just seems highly suspicious and very inefficient to load up a bunch of thick processes in the background when all I've done is log into my PC.

• Root Admin

Good day @RemoveNodeAndEdgeReqsNow

Can we please get a set of logs as well as more specific details of what you're concern is.

To begin, please do the following so that we may take a closer look at your installation for troubleshooting:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained are safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file
  • In the User Account Control pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation
  • Run the MBST Support Tool
  • In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced
  • In the Advanced Options, click Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine
  • A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to the Public desktop, please upload that file on your next reply

Thank you

• Root Admin

I don't work in Development to be able to respond to your query. I do know that the vast majority of software written today seems to use webview2 and many other frameworks from Microsoft.

I'm not sure that Support would be able to specifically tell you either, but they'd have access to the Development team if needed.

Thank you for your response. I did some more digging. Windows 10 is just relentless in running edge and it has nothing to do with MWB. I apologize for making assumptions. MWB should classify Windows itself as malware! :)

As for node.exe, I figure out what was starting that up, as well. Again, my bad on that. It really looked like MWB was starting it. We can consider this issue resolved. (Well, it will be fully resolved when I uninstall Windows and go strictly with Debian linux haha)

• Thanks 1