Winter 2023

NewTricks

A new Sierra store is now next to TJ Maxx. If I was blindfolded, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference, except for the sock wall. I was pleased and surprised to find the two mighty Vermont brands significantly below their website prices. Often stores sell irregulars, but they are not always marked so it's hard to tell what you're getting.

One person had the same question as I do: which is better?  Darn Tough socks or Cabot and Sons? I've got both.  Clayton writes his review.

Sierra sells inexpensive trekking poles, a great find, I can replace my Leki without too much angst.

Finally, one-third of the store is devoted to PETS-dog accessories outnumber cats. Among their offerings is a flat "pet feeder" with suction cups on the bottom. I hadn't seen this style before.

Finally, in the parking lot, I came across a very dirty rear van window with a message I liked.

socks.jpg

Trekking poles.jpg

Pet Feeders.jpg

pspspsps.jpg

• Like 1

A lesson for the occasional cook: track expiration dates and replace ingredients PROMPTLY. No,that doesn't mean, "oh, maybe 6 months won't make ALL that much difference."

Old habits die hard, and today doesn't even rate as bad behavior! Just the opposite 😇 

Comparing the past, to the present: when there are others to feed, keeping a tidy, current kitchen can fall by the wayside. Only when confronted with a kitchen failure, a move, or boredom initiates an inventory, did I learn my cupboards harbored outdated products by YEARS.

I've reformed. With my handy dandy freezer tape and Sharpie pen, I note expiration dates prominently on the TOP or front of containers. When I bought the Hain Baking Powder recommended by @David H. Lipman, I immediately found a round glass container with a sealed lid. Then put the unopened product inside. 😄 just to get used to the new vigilance. I peeled the lid off this morning to make "Featherlite" pancakes, a Better Homes & Gardens throwback. Remember? 

The recipe calls for 2 TABLESPOONS of baking powder. Once in, the batter rises in 4 minutes! Penny will show me how to take a time lapse video. Until then, this is the best I could do.

I learned that all my careful notes made over the years are worthless! I never used Hain or freshly opened powder, ever! So instead of "featherliite" I got a very dense cake. The liquid and dry ingredients have to be carefully balanced to get that lite cake. In the end, I dumped in some extra milk. That did the trick.

Cookbook.jpg

902side.jpg

FinalSide.jpg

Finaltop.jpg

Leftright.jpg

• Like 1

Some things you can keep and use for years, although things like rarely used spices will loose some flavour.
Others have much shorter shelf lives that need to be respected.

The sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) in baking powder does loose efficacy over time and so with older powder your baking won't rise, or won't rise as much.

If you are not sure if it's still potent then test it by dropping a bit into an acidic liquid, such as vinegar or lemon juice, and seeing if it still fizzes vigorously.

If it's lost it's fizz then you can still use it for cleaning, or as a deodouriser for fridges and cupboards, just don't use it for baking.

https://www.marthastewart.com/8106408/how-test-baking-soda-still-good

It's not the Baking Soda so much as Baking Powder.  Baking Soda is almost pure Sodium Bicarbonate while Baking Powder is a mixture of Sodium Bicarbonate  and some other powdered acid such as a sulfate (ex: Sodium Aluminum Sulfate).  When dry it is relatively stable compound.  But when under humid or moist conditions the mixture's naturally dry state is hydrophilic and will absorb the water from the atmosphere allowing the two react.  Thus limiting its shelf life and reducing its efficacy is over time.

True. My family was fractured by one person and the consequences split 2 generations. I've been "lucky" (tenacious) with my only child. She noticed my new attitude (relaxed) and then felt free to be herself. Our "moments" weren't even serious this time.

A new day. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

All about hearing prosthetics-the Kanso (off the ear) processor.

I lost a processor for my hearing implant on Valentine's Day. After a week of incessant searching, I filed a loss claim for a replacement. I was warned the entire process would take 8-10 weeks. Springing into action, responding to e-mails, docu-signing contracts & contacting principals in advance for their signature on a "letter of intent", I fretted about whether the mandatory upgrade would be right for me. Two years ago, I tried one, but was dissuaded by two issues. The unit was heavier and my Dr. said the programming was awful. 😬I lost sleep and imagined doomsday scenarios. (My specialty!)

This week the package rolled in. Three and a half weeks, start to finish. Except for the billing and payment! These cost $12,750. My cop-pay might be $2,550. Where's my paper bag?

Those additional years in development resulted in a unit that is smaller than the original and weighs a mere .01 ounce more. The biggest difference? The elimination of button cell batteries. It's rechargeable, with a home unit and a portable, wearable unit.

I have three accessories for my original processor: A mini-microphone (pictured left), a remote control (pictured middle) and a phone clip with a Bluetooth function (pictured right). The latter is my primary way of listening to music. All four devices must be paired with each other. The process requires multiple steps, in a certain order.

In my new "bundle" I have everything except the remote. Why? Because the new Kanso is like a Fitbit. You TAP FIRMLY, to change settings and pair. All of those remote functions are now controlled by a phone app. I can either tolerate frustration learning to tap adequately or spend $115 for a remote similar to what I already have.

Maybe there's hope. I slept better than ever the night I received my upgrade. Of course, other factors could have been be at work too.

Kansooneandtwo.jpg

Accessories.jpg

Kanso 2 unpacking.jpg

Edited by NewTricks
subject change
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Root Admin
On 3/23/2024 at 9:20 AM, NewTricks said:

Except for the billing and payment! These cost $12,750. My cop-pay might be $2,550. Where's my paper bag?

OMG - I know it happens to many of us but not looking forward to such high costs

Glad you were able to get it replace quickly though

• Like 1

On 12/8/2023 at 8:49 AM, NewTricks said:

Hello friends,

NewTricks is continuing her pattern of seasonal posts.

Just a hint, I know you have had other things on your mind.

We switch our clocks here to British Summer Time next Sunday, at 01:00 GMT/UTC the clocks will 'spring' forward to read 02:00.
https://www.rmg.co.uk/stories/topics/uk-time-british-summer-time-bst-daylight-saving

I'm in an advanced group at my energy suppliers forum, and you can bet we will be keping an eye on how the usage/billing charts for smart meters, and the various models of In Home Displays, cope with the change.

The metering itself is always timed in GMT/UTC so doesn't change, it's the billing and In Home Displays that have to change to reflect what the customer has on their clocks.
So it's more of an issue with the billing and customer information that the actual smart metering, and it shouldn't be as as tricky as the switch back from BST to GMT/UTC in October.
We'll still probably get a few complaints next month from people thinking they have been billed for an hour that 'didn't exist', although if you have half-hourly smart metering like me it's plain to see from the online charts that the 'missing' (01:00-02:00) hour shows no usage and so isn't charged.
(Conversley in Autumn when the clocks go back some still complain - that they've been twice for the same 'hour').

Edited by nukecad

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

OMG

Yes. 

The possible offset is getting that figure whittled down by applying to their financial "hardship" program. That sounds so dire & dramatic, but I'm certain I qualify. Plus I'm confident I can wrangle a payment program over time. I'm the queen of negotiation.

Edited by NewTricks
typo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, nukecad said:

We switch our clocks here to British Summer Time next Sunday

Thank you @nukecad Yep, I knew and have been reading and learning. The down side is, once I read and comprehend, a lot of details then leave my mind! But the one that stands out is, most of the world does this Sunday, which happens to be Easter. (We can't talk about that, since it's religious and I just removed a post about Easter to stay in good graces!)

What I'm intrigued about are smart meters. A notice popped up that my smart meter was available, although building rules here prohibit tenants from entering the utility closet. I've always found a way around that by making friends with maintenance workers. They change, but I've never met one I didn't like. They like me too.  Eventually, I'll get in there and check it out, although I'm sure there's not much to see.

Personally, I have a bias against the word SMART when it is applied to technology. To me, that means data harvesting, location, contacts, IP devices, etc. etc. These meters are stationary, but still collecting and sending potential lifestyle preferences to the Mother.

As far as customers calling into complain about being charged for that missing hour: oy vey! I think I'm pretty compulsive about all money matters, but I DO have a cut off. $5. If it's under, so be it. Over, well, i might gripe, depending on the circumstance. Life gets shorter and shorter as time goes on.

2 hours ago, nukecad said:

we will be keping an eye on how the usage/billing charts for smart meters

So, check in with that when you have some information. I'm very interested in how this is going to work.  The other reason I stopped being over the top, "down the rabbit hole" about energy costs is I got a heating grant. And due to my low consumption, over time, I've built up quite a credit. State money all of it, but they can yank it if they desire. I am a reluctant recipient. For every state or federal program I'm in, the more information everyone has about financial, medical and personal matters.

3 hours ago, nukecad said:

(Conversley in Autumn when the clocks go back some still complain - that they've been twice for the same 'hour').

😂😂😂 Some people can't help themselves. It's just a way to make a connection with someone who might care.

• Like 1

Cowboys & Indians (August/September 2022) featured Greatest TV Westerns by Joe Leydon, highlighting the best series, miniseries and made-for-TV movies ever made. I selected some of my favorites of their favorites. I can watch anytime on Frndly TV

Gunsmoke #1 (1955-1975) James Arness naturally. Ken Curtis (Festus) is my alternate favorite.

Rawhide #2 (1959-1965) The theme song endures. Father & daughter time. Who is Clint Eastwood?

Wagon Train #3 (1957-1965) John McIntire and Robert Horton.

Bonanza #4 (1959-1973) Pernell Roberts and Dan Blocker.

Cheyenne #5 (1955-1963) straight arrow Clint Walker.

Aside from Westerns, Mission Impossible enthralled me. I discovered that James Arness and Peter Graves were brothers.

Refreshing with Mission Impossible yesterday I saw, Larry Linville, who plays Frank Burns on M.A.S.H, Martin Landau and Leonard Nimoy. Comforting entertainment in these overwhelmingly CGI times.

Gunsmoke.jpg

Rawhide.jpg

Wagon Train.jpg

Bonanza.jpg

Cheyenne.jpg

Mission Impossible Cast.jpg

• Like 1

Update on the previous KANSO 2 post : Nucleus App is now populated with the mic and Bluetooth (phone clip) on my very old LG G8 ThinQ phone. I hear music! I can control two sound inputs simultaneously. It only took 1.5 hours on chat. Bless Emily who helped it happen. 🤸‍♀️😄💯💥💯😻 Very sophisticated programming. I didn't expect to be impressed, but I AM. Woo!

SUCCESS!