Is the Browser guard stat screen in the RTP page broken again?

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following:

Malwarebytes Support Tool - Advanced Options

This feature is designed for the following reasons:

• For use when you are on the forums and need to provide logs for assistance
  • For use when you don't need or want to create a ticket with Malwarebytes
  • For use when you want to perform local troubleshooting on your own

How to use the Advanced Options:

Spoiler
  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  3. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  4. Navigate to the Advanced tab
  5. The Advanced menu page contains four categories:
    • Gather Logs: Collects troubleshooting information from the computer. As part of this process, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is run to perform a complete diagnosis. The information is saved to a file on the Desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip and can be added as an email attachment or uploaded to a forum post to assist with troubleshooting the issue at hand.
    • Clean: Performs an automated uninstallation of all Malwarebytes products installed to the computer and prompts to install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows afterwards. The Premium license key is backed up and reinstated. All user configurations and other data are removed. This process requires a reboot.
    •  Repair System: Includes various system-related repairs in case a Windows service is not functioning correctly that Malwarebytes for Windows is dependent on. It is not recommended to use any Repair System options unless instructed by a Malwarebytes Support agent.
    • Anonymously help the community by providing usage and threat statistics: Unchecking this option will prevent Malwarebytes Support Tool from sending anonymous telemetry data on usage of the program.
  6. To provide logs for review click the Gather Logs button
  7. Upon completion, click OK
  8. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  9. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  10. To uninstall all Malwarebytes Products, click the Clean button.
  11. Click the Yes button to proceed. 
  12. Save all your work and click OK when you are ready to reboot.
  13. After the reboot, you will have the option to re-install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows.
  14. Select Yes to install Malwarebytes.
  15. Malwarebytes for Windows will open once the installation completes successfully.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Spoiler

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

17 hours ago, Badran said:

Wait, so am I wrong about this being update day? I had to check my Callander and November started on the Wednesday...

Hi Badran:

You are correct.  The Nov 2023 Patch Tuesday (2nd Tuesday of each month) doesn't occur until next week on 14-Nov-2023. The KB5031445 update shown in Portho's image <above> was the optional Preview (Build 19045.3636) released last month on 26-Oct-2023.  See the MS support article Update Release cycle for Windows Clients for more information on the release cycle for Windows updates.

I also see a discrepancy between the 30-day statistics for Ad / Trackers blocked by Malwarebytes Browser Guard according to Malwarebytes Premium v4.6.5, but in my case Malwarebytes Premium appears to over-report the number of Ads / Trackers blocked...

MBv4_6_5RTP30DayStatsforBrowserGuardorAdsandTrackers08Nov2023.png.dc620113a9e274c81c00f4b2b1f69255.png

... which is higher than the count in Malwarebytes Browser Guard for Firefox v2.6.13 .

MBBrowserGuardv2_6_13forFF30DayStatsforAdsandTrackers08Nov2023.png.0cfde4dfab5b224dd5ad7b6f9494299f.png

I rarely use my MS Edge browser but it has Malwarebytes Browser Guard for Chrome v2.6.13 (i.e., downloaded from the Chrome Web Store) and it currently reports only 18 Ads / Trackers blocked in the past 30 days.

MBBrowserGuardv2_6_13forMSEdgev11930DayStatsforAdsandTrackers08Nov2023.png.12c50a055a0680563c414b5afd4a3184.png

mbst-grab-results.zip
-----------
Dell Inspiron 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.3570 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.23090.2008-1.1.23100.2009 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.6.5.293-1.0.2181 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7690 * Firefox v119.0.1 * Microsoft Edge v119.0.2151.44

Edited by lmacri

31 minutes ago, Porthos said:

4.6.6 is available, check for updates.

Hi Porthos:

Is there a bug fix for this problem in MB v4.6.6?  As a general rule I don't update Malwarebytes until the official release notes are posted, and H4V0C's release notes at Malwarebytes 4.6 Beta haven't been updated since the v4.6.4.286-1.0.2163 BETA was released on 28-Sep-2023.

I'm not overly concerned that there's a discrepancy in the number of Ads / Trackers blocked by Malwarebytes Browser Guard in Malwarebytes Premium.  Knowing the count of Malware and Scams blocked is useful, but as far as I'm concerned the number of Ads / Trackers blocked doesn't provide any useful information and is more of a marketing gimmick.
-----------
Dell Inspiron 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.3570 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.23090.2008-1.1.23100.2009 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.6.5.293-1.0.2181 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7690 * Firefox v119.0.1 * Microsoft Edge v119.0.2151.44 * Malwarebytes Browser Guard v2.6.13

Edited by lmacri

1 minute ago, lmacri said:

Is there a bug fix for this problem in MB v4.6.6?

Don't know. I don't even worry about that "feature".

1 minute ago, lmacri said:

As a general rule I don't update Malwarebytes until the official release notes are posted

Those are posted several days after it is live.

3 minutes ago, lmacri said:

but as far as I'm concerned the number of Ads / Trackers blocked doesn't provide any useful information and is more of a marketing gimmick.

Exactly.

18 minutes ago, lmacri said:

... but as far as I'm concerned the number of Ads / Trackers blocked doesn't provide any useful information and is more of a marketing gimmick.

HI Porthos:

However, that's not an excuse for having different block counts in Malwarebytes Premium vs Malwarebytes Browser Guard.  If Malwarebytes thinks it's important to report the number of Ads / Trackers blocked by Malwarebytes Browser Guard then the count should be similar in both products, regardless of where the user chooses to check their 30-day report.
-----------
Dell Inspiron 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.3570 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.23090.2008-1.1.23100.2009 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.6.5.293-1.0.2181 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7690 * Firefox v119.0.1 * Microsoft Edge v119.0.2151.44 * Malwarebytes Browser Guard v2.6.13

Not really.  If one product blocks then the other product may never see what has been blocked because it was blocked.

The two products should have different block counts in Malwarebytes Premium vs Malwarebytes Browser Guard. 

EDIT:

Analogy: 

Le's say you are in an automobile and there are two Law Enforcement road blocks in your path at two different succeeding intersections separated by 1 mile but are on the same road.
Your passage is stopped at the first road block and is logged.  The second road block does not log the vehicle's presence because its egress was blocked at the previous road block.

Edited by David H. Lipman
Edited for content, clarity, spelling and/or grammar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, David H. Lipman said:

Not really.  If one product blocks then the other product may never see what has been blocked because it was blocked.  The two products should have different block counts in Malwarebytes Premium vs Malwarebytes Browser Guard. ...

Hi David H. Lipman:

Then Malwarebytes needs to add an explanation in the 30-day report Malwarebytes Premium of how the total number of blocked Ads / Trackers is calculated.  In its present state that RTP 30-day report implies this is the number of Ads / Trackers blocked by Malwarebytes Browser Guard, not Malwarebytes Browser Guard plus Malwarebytes Premium Web Protection.

MBv4_6_5RTP30DayStatsforBrowserGuardforAdsandTrackersEDITED08Nov2023.png.2b34f1d1a523430eb3536d3be7a56e54.png

Do you know when the "Hide Duplicate Warnings" setting was removed from Malwarebytes Browser Guard?   The removal of that settings doesn't appear to be documented in the release notes at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/malwarebytes/versions/ and I've never been clear on whether Malwarebytes Premium Web Protection or Malwarebytes Browser Guard takes precedence for blocking when both products are installed.
-----------

19 minutes ago, lmacri said:

Do you know when the "Hide Duplicate Warnings" setting was removed from Malwarebytes Browser Guard?   The removal of that settings doesn't appear to be documented in the release notes at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/malwarebytes/versions/ and I've never been clear on whether Malwarebytes Premium Web Protection or Malwarebytes Browser Guard takes precedence for blocking when both products are installed.

Sometimes I get both blocks, sometimes I don't.

Almond Joy has nuts Mounds don't.

• Haha 3

Hi @Porthos / @David H. Lipman:

None of this addresses the OP Badran's concern.  If the 30-day report in the RTP panel of Malwarebytes Premium v4.6.5 includes the count of Ads / Trackers blocked by both Malwarebytes Browser Guard and Malwarebytes real-time Web Protection as you both surmise then why does Badran's 30-day report have a count of zero as shown in their image <above>?

I don't have permission to view their mbst-grab-results.zip file so I have no idea which Malwarebytes product (Free or Premium) Badran is using and/or whether their real-time Web Protection is enabled in Malwarebytes.

I only posted my own images <above> today so Badran could see that my count of blocked Ads / Trackers in my Malwarebytes Premium v4.6.5 30-day report is  not zero.  One of the senior members of this forum who can read the contents of their mbst-grab-results.zip file will have to tell them if their Malwarebytes installation is corrupted.
-----------

Edited by lmacri
  • Like 1

I would add that I don’t do a whole lot of browsing nowadays, so I don’t have a lot of ads/trackers blocked, but I believe they should still show up?

I also have ublock installed as well, so maybe that’s responsible, though in the past this issue did occur, but ended up getting fixed (so maybe it’s not ublock) but it seems to be happening again.

I imagine if I did a lot more browsing, I’d see some of the ads/tracker blocks show up, but I don’t know if it’d be entirely accurate.

5 minutes ago, Badran said:

I also downloaded an update for my GPU a driver

Driver updates are one of those that if it is not broken don't fix it.

Users who are OCD about updates and drivers usually cause all of their issues for themselves and are the most unprepared with an image backup to correct any issues.

Windows updates are automatic. Malwarebytes Premium and Browserguard are also automatic. No need to click update daily or weekly for that matter.

I figured I’d update it, since I hadn’t updated my GPU driver in a month. At the very least, they’ve acknowledged the issue, and confirmed it’ll be fixed in the next update. The GPU drivers I normally forget about, since I need to navigate to their website in order to download them. The only way to get automatic downloads is to install their software which is pretty much just bloat.

3 minutes ago, Badran said:

The only way to get automatic downloads is to install their software which is pretty much just bloat.

So very true.

4 minutes ago, Badran said:

At the very least, they’ve acknowledged the issue, and confirmed it’ll be fixed in the next update

Unless that update breaks something else.🤣

• Like 1