M/soft updates never install -

noknojon

Hi All -

I have noticed that I am getting M/soft updates that never seem to install - ;)

They seem to relate to XP SP1 , where M/soft otherwise recognises my system as XP SP3 -

The update is Noted as Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 - This update notice has been there for a while now and for some reason will not install or go away after many attempts to install it - Either at shutdown or direct install from the update 'shield' - :(

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This update isn't for XP SP1 it is .NET Framework version 1.1 Service Pack 1, it's version has nothing to do with your windows version. Just install the update if it will install, then reboot and check for updates.

'The upgrade patch cannot be installed
Is that what it says when you try to install the download I linked you to?

Sorry , back now -

Yes, I got a negative response on the .NET Framework update -

It is still sitting in the task bar - I even tried Custom Install but .... There seems to be an item in My Docs , but it has no response either -

The same .NET Framework update is the only one at M/soft updates to install -

Ok, but did you try simply downloading and installing the file in the link I posted? That's what you need to try first, forget about installing this one through Windows Update because it obviously isn't going to work. I need you to try the standalone installer I linked you to, then if that doesn't work, we'll move on to the next step.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks ;)

Ok, but did you try simply downloading and installing the file in the link I posted? That's what you need to try first, forget about installing this one through Windows Update because it obviously isn't going to work. I need you to try the standalone installer I linked you to, then if that doesn't work, we'll move on to the next step.

Yes the given link was the option I used - That was when I got the message 'The upgrade patch cannot be installed .......'

I rebooted anyway -

Ok, time for the nuclear option ;) :

Run the .NET Framework cleanup tool by Aaron Stebner:

• Download the tool from here and save it to your desktop
  • Unzip it then run the tool and follow its prompts to remove all installed .NET Framework versions
  • when it finishes, reboot your computer
  • Once you've rebooted, run Windows Update (Start>All Programs>Windows Update) and install all recommended updates and reboot when prompted after installation
  • Run Windows Update again and continue to reboot until no more updates are available

Post back and let me know how it went.

Thank you :(

The items D/loaded but would not install - The 1st item loaded was the .NET Framework item - It just stopped when it came time to install -

Should I run it again - I/net is a bit slow now but all items D/loaded .NET Framework OK just will not install unless I need to wait for more than 15 mins for the install to begin - It just sat there and would not continue -

EDIT -

I will give it one more go , but the net seems to be very slow "tonight" here -

After leaving the computer on all night from 11.00 pm (10.25 am here now) , 2 .Net Framework updates did not install -

They are .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 & .Net Framework 3.5 Family Update for .NET versions 2.0 through 3.5 (KB951847) x 86 -The original .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 also did not install -

Still going back to try , but I don't think it will happen -

EDIT-

They all D/loaded but will not actually go to the install stage - Freeze / Stop ? with no notices -

Hello again ;)

Please download .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 from here and try to install it. Reboot if asked to do so then download .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 from here and try to install it. If you still have problems with it then please take a look at the following two Microsoft support pages:

Let me know how it goes.

Hi again -

The latest is that the 2nd (3.5 ....) loaded and installed fully -

Now the other ( 1.1 ) has downloaded twice with no problem - But it will still not install - The message is - "The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installerbecause the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade patch"

I have only used your links and I have read both articles you posted -

Ok, go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall all .NET Framework 1.1 entries (leave the other .NET Framework entries alone) and reboot if asked to do so, then visit Windows Update again and install the updates it recommends.

Latest update on the situation - :)

It seems that the program (.NET Framework 1.1) is not fully downloaded to the computer - That is why it is never actually in Add/Remove -

The basic .NET Framework system (# 1) was never installed somewhere along the line so that is why I get the above messages that the patch is not for my versions of the programs -

According to M/soft, if I want the update to install I need to find the first .NET Framework and start from there - :)

Unless it is required I should ignore/delete (somehow) or find #1 - The patch (it seems) has been sent to a computer that does not need it -

:):):) Wellll - The first one D/loaded and installed - I rebooted - Then the second one (the update) D/loaded 'twice' and then gives a message ---

SL 13.tmp has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry etc etc - The information you were working on might be lost -

I have the item #KB867460 x86 in My Docs twice but every time I try to install or click on it I get the same message -

Alright, then please do the following so I can try to determine where the error is:

• Click on the Start and select Run
  • Type or copy/paste windowsupdate.log and press Enter or click on OK
  • Click File at the top of notepad and select Save As
  • Browse to your desktop and save the file as log.txt
  • Right click on log.txt on your desktop and hover your mouse over Send To
  • Select Compressed (zipped) Folder
  • Attach the log.zip file you just created to your next post

I'll take a look and see if it offers any clues.