Wireless Mouse for Use with HP school laptop

NewTricks

My next question was going to be: Can you not simply connect the win7 machine to wifi, just like you are doing with the Chromebook?
(If it's a custom build then it may not have wifi, but that would be unusual)

With the caveat that you shouldn't really be using Win7 online anymore, because it no longer gets security updates from Microsoft.

Edited by nukecad

Sorry,  I don't have it there.

However I DO have a folder on  my Western Digital Passport with a folder labeled Macrium-Reflect-8-FREE-Installer.

Inside that folder are two files: reflectPetch.exe and v8.0.6392_refelct_setup_free_x64.exe

Edited by NewTricks
update

dear @nukecad

I'm going to call it quits with getting my Win7 online. Instead I'll be adding extra space to the Dell and eventually doing everything I need to on it. It will be cheaper in the short run certainly and give me time to grieve for my outdated system. It's only been 5 months, and I'm still feeling the pain.

Fair enough, and probably the better way to go.

EDIT- I see from your other post that you will be getting a laptop to run the mapping software on anyway.

If you change your mind about your old Win7 machine there is plenty on the internet about setting up a wifi connection on Win7, if it isn't already set up and you just need to login to the wifi.

I'd still think about putting Win10 on that old machine at some stage to give it a new lease of life, when you have time to play, it isn't that difficult to do and it's all learning.
Even if you can't get the Microsoft licence transferred over from 7 to 10 (it should do but...) then unactivated Win10 is more secure than Win7.
My Techra laptop has unactivated Win10 running on it.

Edited by nukecad

I do appreciate knowing, which is just one reason why I was thrilled to get it. 😄  And I also won't do what a kid in my life did, immediately peel off that blue foam to see what was underneath!
We all have to remember that ~we don't know, what we don't know!

Made a lunch time stop home to get the right size bag. That is ONE massive laptop! Toshiba Tecra A50-C1540. It seems very heavy! Turns out I have something, of course in pink, which will allow me to fit everything. Swinging it up on the shoulder is another thing though.

I hate to be one of those "rollers" who look like they can't be stoic and ruin their shoulders. Heck, too late now anyway. Off to tutoring, and then forward into 4 days of solo fun. It turns out my classmate, a young guy, that I was paired with to discuss the differences between some terms, seemed to have a good handle on all of it. When I asked what helped him, he told me his last job in the Air Force was in GIS to map "target" coordinates! (CHEATER!) But, there's quite a few "elders" like me in the class, which is nice for a change.

47 minutes ago, NewTricks said:

And I also won't do what a kid in my life did, immediately peel off that blue foam to see what was underneath!

Go ahead, it's meant to come off, see my reply and link in your Fall thread.

What Windows is on that laptop?
I believe they were originally Win7, but you may have a later one or it may have been updated.

EDIT, From the product spec sheet:- Weight: Starting at 5.0 lbs (2.25 kg) depending upon configuration.

Edited by nukecad

5 hours ago, nukecad said:

Weight: Starting at 5.0 lbs

I consider it the size of a small cat. It has Windows 10. Since it's an institutional computer, they'll put adequate, but not current software. OK, I'll fool with the foam in daylight tomorrow.

It only took 2 people and an hour to get the mapping software to install correctly. 🙄 When it faltered the first time, I suggested a restart. See? I'm learning! Eventually the installer coughed itself into life and all went normally. Another good outcome was I met a reclusive admin who would have solved all my problems a bit earlier. Now I know what he looks like (unexpected!) and the chain of command to get action. He's in what I call the "Inner Sanctum" and does not have a "walk by" office.

Things I learned today:

Tecra A50 laptop has an additional navigation function called an Accupoint nub, covered with blue foam. (Mine has been compromised by glue inhibiting functionality.)

The word minimum in the screenshot above does NOT mean a higher version will work.

When an ArcGIS notification says: Software update available, it does not mean it's optional. 

My own "Richmond" is not as scary as I thought.  He even sent me his favorite installer file.

Edited by NewTricks
learning the hard way

@nukecad, you warned me about accumulating mice. I discounted, thinking my resistance would be strong enough. In the span of 2 weeks, my second order is now moving through the mail.

This one is a Logitech. I put my corded Dell mouse on my building's "Free" table for 5 days, but no takers.  Now it's back on my Win7. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

wrapping up this topic: my cheap ACER wireless mouse died. Regardless of battery, no juice. 8 month lifespan. Could it be the multiple times I hit the floor????  What E V E R.

My beloved Logitech M325 Wireless mouse caused mayhem, havoc and crashes with Win11 on Dell. 🤨😕

Back to my reliable Tecknet mouse on the desktop. Thank you again Porthos.

• Like 1