Intermittent White Outs

For the past 2-3 weeks, my View Sonic monitor shows a 2-5 second period where the screen goes completely white, but a perimeter box is seen at the edges. Then, all content is restored and the display returns to normal.

I first noticed it while on the forum, next on the Spotify site. The others were not noted, due to a mix of apprehension, denial & acceptance. 

Will get all specs if needed on equipment, but wanted to initially post to gauge reaction. Late here now but will address in the AM. 

@axe0 thank you for the response.

When it happens, I am not doing anything GPU intense. Looking at a website, connected to TeamView once, no actual downloads or uploads. I don't use the computer for games. 

In the last month, I have spent a lot of time transferring photos. Other than watching streaming media, listening to music and ordinary web browsing, I'm an unexceptional user.

I found some Video TDR failure YouTube fixes, maybe this is the answer. I never have seen any associated message, just the white screen, then normal content.

I wouldn't recommend most 'fixes' you can find online for this. Some can be dangerous as one little mistake can have a drastic impact on the system stability. What I would recommend is updating, or reinstalling, the GPU drivers for starters.

A video TDR is an event where the system attempts to reset the GPU drivers when they're not responsive, for example. When this event fails a BSOD 0x116 will be generated, the video TDR failure crash you looked into, which due to the nature of the TDR event you might not even see. With TDR it's normal that your screen will be temporarily black, white or distorted in one way or another.

3 minutes ago, axe0 said:

With TDR it's normal that your screen will be temporarily black, white or distorted in one way or another.

Nice to know what's normal. I appreciate it.

4 minutes ago, axe0 said:

What I would recommend is updating, or reinstalling, the GPU drivers for starters.

I am clueless on where to find them.

Due to a forum glitch, my previous post is unavailable. I am following up on that here.

The problem: random, intermittent periods when content showing on my monitor whites out, leaving only a black perimeter.

The specifics: total 6-7 times in the last 2 weeks, while online with this forum or commercial sites like Spotify.

The background: Conservative online behavior encompassing reading, shopping, streaming. No gaming.

The diagnosis: @axe0 suggested it is a GPU driver problem and included a post by @AdvancedSetup with had a lot of "B"s in the title.  (🐝no, not these.)

The fix: Use Dell's Update. I chose support assist, then found specific critical updates which I installed. None had GPU drivers in the name.

My actions: updated with Dell Support Assist,  restart

Downloaded critical updates (red icon) ran as administrator:

1. Dell-Update-Windows-Universal-Application_34YNX_Win-4.9.0_A01.exe
  2. Inspiron_3920_01.11.00.exe
  3. Intel-AX411-AX211-AX210-AX201-AX200-9560-9462-9260-8265-8260-7265-3165_WHK54_WIN_22.200.2.1_A47 exe

Restart

Edited by NewTricks
updated info

• NewTricks changed the title to Intermittent White Outs on View Sonic Monitor Duplicate-See ID:157181

Back to the nest here:

The fix: Use Dell's Update. I chose support assist, then found specific critical updates which I installed. None had GPU drivers in the name.

My actions: updated with Dell Support Assist,  restart

Downloaded critical updates (red icon) ran as administrator:

1. Dell-Update-Windows-Universal-Application_34YNX_Win-4.9.0_A01.exe
  2. Inspiron_3920_01.11.00.exe
  3. Intel-AX411-AX211-AX210-AX201-AX200-9560-9462-9260-8265-8260-7265-3165_WHK54_WIN_22.200.2.1_A47 exe

Restart

• Root Admin

I removed your images @NewTricks as they include Personally Identifiable Information.

The graphics driver for your system from Dell is the following

https://dl.dell.com/FOLDER08954312M/1/Intel-UHD-Graphics-Driver_2D60J_WIN64_30.0.101.2079_A01.EXE

You should be able to right click and save that to your computer. Then close all applications and run that installer

Here are the details about the driver.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=2d60j&oscode=wt64a&productcode=inspiron-3910-desktop

• Thanks 1

• Root Admin

For now, please also download the MBST tool and create the logs and post those back. @NewTricks

To begin, please do the following so that we may take a closer look at your installation for troubleshooting:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained are safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file
  • In the User Account Control pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation
  • Run the MBST Support Tool
  • In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced
  • In the Advanced Options, click Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine
  • A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to the Public desktop, please upload that file on your next reply

Thank you

• Root Admin

Here are the BSOD posting instructions again. Please follow these @NewTricks so that @axe0 can assist you further. Thanks

BSOD Posting Instructions
Windows 10 - 8.1 - 8 - 7 - Vista

1. Download the Sysnative BSOD Dump + System File Collection App - save to Documents folder -

https://www.sysnative.com/forums/pages/bsodcollectionapp/

PLEASE NOTE: Firefox users have reported problems while trying to download the app and may need to use another browser besides Firefox to download the app. We are trying to resolve this problem.

2. Run the app - Double-click on the downloaded EXE file

Output = new folder created in Documents + a zipped version -- SysnativeFileCollectionApp folder + SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip.

Please note that the app averages just a few minutes to run on most systems; other systems - it my take as long as 10-15 minutes to run. Please be patient. You'll notice on your Taskbar that there are numerous CMD screens. This is normal as the app runs Windows EXE files, custom batch script files as well as custom VBS script files and each one requires its own CMD prompt (screen).

Also note: The app auto-zips the SysnativeFileCollectionApp output folder. It is located in your Documents folder.
Windows Explorer should open and highlight the zipped folder upon completion of the app.

3. Create a new thread HERE and attach the zip file (SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip) 

NOTE: The app auto-zips the SysnativeFileCollectionApp output folder. It is located in your Documents folder. Windows Explorer should open and highlight the zipped folder - SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip

Please do not modify the output files

4. Please provide answers for (answer the best that you can) -
      Read More:

Spoiler

· OS - Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Vista ?
· x86 (32-bit) or x64 ?
· What was original installed OS on system?
· Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from retailer)?
· Age of system (hardware)
· Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS?

· CPU
· Video Card
· MotherBoard - (if NOT a laptop)
· Power Supply - brand & wattage (skip if laptop)

· System Manufacturer
· Exact model number (if laptop, check label on bottom)

· Laptop or Desktop?

5. While waiting for a reply -
· Run - Driver Verifier - Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7 & Vista
· Run - HDD Diagnostics
· Test - RAM

Useful information!

The Sysnative BSOD Dump + System File Collection App does not get installed (it is a stand-alone EXE) nor does it make any changes to the registry. It only creates the SysnativeFileCollectionApp output folder + a zipped version - both located in Documents folder. You can delete them at any time, but we suggest that you wait until our work together is completed before doing so.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2