Is it okay if Malwarebytes full scan is run in Safe Mode?

Is it okay if Malwarebytes Premium Trial full scan is run in Windows 10 Safe Mode (without networking)? Would I be protected at a similar level as when the full scan is run in regular mode? Besides that, would reinstalling Malwarebytes software effectively updates its virus definitions and so on?

Edited by l3386490

6 minutes ago, Maurice Naggar said:

Hello. If you want, yes, you can run a scan in Safe mode. But then later, follow up with a new scan in Normal mode. In order for definitions to be updated, Windows needs to be in Normal mode or in Safe Mode with NETWORKING.

Apologies if I phrase my question incorrectly, but I was wondering that in normal mode, whether re-installing the software while connected to the Internet would effective update its virus definitions and so on. Thanks.

Just once, while in Normal mode, do a Check for Updates !!
Do a Check for Update using the Malwarebytes Settings >> General tab.
See this Support Guide https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360042187934-Check-for-updates-in-Malwarebytes-for-Windows

11 minutes ago, Maurice Naggar said:

Just once, while in Normal mode, do a Check for Updates !!
Do a Check for Update using the Malwarebytes Settings >> General tab.
See this Support Guide https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360042187934-Check-for-updates-in-Malwarebytes-for-Windows

Last I checked, it was stuck in Check for Updates so I'd have to completely uninstall and reinstall it, before going into Safe Mode to do a full scan which is ongoing as of now.

After the scan has finished, stop and let me know that !!  I am asking you, then, to just generate a full report on Malwarebytes. Further to that, you should provide a background story of what you believe is the main major issue here on this specific Windows machine. This report has to be done in Normal mode of Windows. 

I will guide you along on looking for remaining malware, if any. Let's keep these principles as we go along.

• Removing malware can be unpredictable
  • Please don't run any other scans, download, install or uninstall any programs while I'm working with you.
  • Only run the tools I guide you to.
  • Do not run online games while case is on-going. Do not do any free-wheeling web-surfing.
  • The removal of malware isn't instantaneous, please be patient.
  • Cracked or or hacked or pirated programs are not only illegal, but also will make a computer a malware victim. Having such programs installed, is the easiest way to get infected. It is the leading cause of ransomware encryptions. It is at times also big source of current trojan infections. Please uninstall them now, if any are here, before we start the cleaning procedure.
  • Please stick with me until I give you the "all clear".
  • If your system is running Discord, please be sure to Exit out of it while this case is on-going.

I would like a report set for review. This is a report only.

Please download MALWAREBYTES MBST Support Tool

Once you start it click Advanced >>> then Gather Logs

Have patience till the run has finished.
Upload an archive once it is done. Attach the mbst-grab-results.zip from the Desktop to your reply..

26 minutes ago, Maurice Naggar said:

After the scan has finished, stop and let me know that !!  I am asking you, then, to just generate a full report on Malwarebytes. Further to that, you should provide a background story of what you believe is the main major issue here on this specific Windows machine. This report has to be done in Normal mode of Windows. 

I will guide you along on looking for remaining malware, if any. Let's keep these principles as we go along.

• Removing malware can be unpredictable
  • Please don't run any other scans, download, install or uninstall any programs while I'm working with you.
  • Only run the tools I guide you to.
  • Do not run online games while case is on-going. Do not do any free-wheeling web-surfing.
  • The removal of malware isn't instantaneous, please be patient.
  • Cracked or or hacked or pirated programs are not only illegal, but also will make a computer a malware victim. Having such programs installed, is the easiest way to get infected. It is the leading cause of ransomware encryptions. It is at times also big source of current trojan infections. Please uninstall them now, if any are here, before we start the cleaning procedure.
  • Please stick with me until I give you the "all clear".
  • If your system is running Discord, please be sure to Exit out of it while this case is on-going.

I would like a report set for review. This is a report only.

Please download MALWAREBYTES MBST Support Tool

Once you start it click Advanced >>> then Gather Logs

Have patience till the run has finished.
Upload an archive once it is done. Attach the mbst-grab-results.zip from the Desktop to your reply..

I'm sorry as I'm out-station by now, however I think that the culprit may lie within the fact that the laptop has a RAM too low for Malwarebytes to function properly. The slowdown problems have start to manifest after the 4.5.22 update.

Hi. No need for you to click on "Quote" spot when making a reply. I get notified of each of your replies. You and I are the only ones on this topic. Please send the Support-tool-report when you have it.
What version of Window is this ?  Have you done a scan with the MS Defender antivirus ?
Is this a home-use type system?
OR is this some kind of a business-use system??

It is a Windows 10 home/personal use type system. Here I want to ask others that whether any slowdown issues regarding Malwarebytes have been resolved by upgrading the RAM, as I got the feeling that an update or more regarding the machine algorithms used in Malwarebytes made it no longer possible to run smoothly within computers with low-end RAMs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

Please note that many of the underlying scanning features of Malwarebytes are not present when scanning in Safe Mode.

You may experience a higher rate of false positives as well

A scan in Safe Mode should only be used as a last effort to try to bypass if you cannot start in Normal Mode