Webprotection crashes my DNS, freezes computer, and crackling Audio

Go to solution Solved by mtjoeng,

Webprotection crashes my DNS, freezes computer, and crackling Audio

First I noticed crackling Audio, after weeks of random trying I figured Malwarebytes might be the problem, off improved Audio, but slowly crackling would return.

Today has DNS problems, only PC with Malwarebytes running, then PC freezes, some random testing, try turning Off Malwarebytes, DNS starts working. Then only Web Protection OFF, DNS OK, then again ON but Browser plugin OFF, in Firefox AND Chrome, Not OK.

It's the Web Protection .......

?

Please do the following so that we may take a closer look at your installation for troubleshooting:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file
  • In the User Account Control pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation
  • Run the MBST Support Tool
  • In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced
  • In the Advanced Options, click Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine
  • A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your desktop, please upload that file on your next reply

Thanks

• Like 1

• Root Admin

Please get us the following log instead then @mtjoeng

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

Thank you

• Root Admin

[ 1 ]

Please go to Control Panel, Programs, Programs and Features, Uninstall a program

Then right-click and uninstall the following

• Bonjour
  • CCleaner
  • Java 8 Update 341 (64-bit)

The computer does not look to be infected. We can do a generic clean up and see if that helps. If interested let me know @mtjoeng

[ 2 ]

Please run the following

SecurityCheck by glax24              

I would like you to run a tool named SecurityCheck to inquire about the current security update status of some applications.

• Download SecurityCheck by glax24: https://tools.safezone.cc/glax24/SecurityCheck/SecurityCheck.exe
  • If Microsoft SmartScreen blocks the download, click through to save the file
  • This tool is safe.   Smartscreen is overly sensitive.
  • If SmartScreen blocks the file from running click on More info and Run anyway
  • Right-click  with your mouse on the Securitycheck.exe  and select "Run as administrator"  and reply YES to allow to run & go forward
  • Wait for the scan to finish. It will open a text file named SecurityCheck.txt Close the file.  Attach it with your next reply.
  • You can find this file in a folder called SecurityCheck, C:\SecurityCheck\SecurityCheck.txt

image.png

image.png

image.png

Thank you

• Root Admin

The elevation prompt for administrators disabled
^It is recommended to enable (default): Win+R typing UserAccountControlSettings and Enter^

Please uninstall, update, or otherwise address the following as appropriate for your system.

• Adobe Acrobat (64-bit) v.22.003.20322 Warning! Download Update | ^Please run Acrobat Reader DC and go Help - Check for updates...^
  • bl v.1.0.0 << Hidden Warning! This software is no longer supported. Please uninstall it.
  • Discord v.1.0.9006 Warning! Download Update
  • GIMP 2.10.32-1 v.2.10.32 Warning! Download Update
  • Git v.2.39.0.2 Warning! Download Update
  • Google Drive v.70.0.2.0 Warning! Download Update
  • Mozilla Thunderbird (x64 en-US) v.102.4.1 Warning! Download Update
  • Notepad++ (32-bit x86) v.8.4.6 Warning! Download Update
  • Opera Stable 94.0.4606.65 v.94.0.4606.65 Warning! Download Update
  • ph v.1.0.0 << Hidden Warning! This software is no longer supported. Please uninstall it.
  • Python 3.8.10 (64-bit) v.3.8.10150.0 Warning! Download Update
  • WinRAR 5.01 (64-bit) v.5.01.0 Warning! Download Update
  • Zoom v.5.12.9 (10650) Warning! Download Update

Then restart the computer and check for Windows Updates and install any found

Then restart the computer one more time and run the following

Please download the following tool

Farbar Service Scanner and run it on the computer with the issue
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-service-scanner/dl/62/

Make sure the following options are checked:

• Internet Services
  • Windows Firewall
  • System Restore
  • Security Center/Action Center
  • Windows Update
  • Windows Defender

Click "Scan"

It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
Please attach the log to your next reply.

Thank you @mtjoeng

3 hours ago, mtjoeng said:

Here u are

Your previous note:

bl v.1.0.0 << Hidden Warning! This software is no longer supported. Please uninstall it.
ph v.1.0.0 << Hidden Warning! This software is no longer supported. Please uninstall it.

are not in the Windows Programs and Features list
nor found by Revo Uninstaller

?

FSS.txt 2.89 kB · 0 downloads

bl v.1.0.0 << Hidden Warning! This software is no longer supported. Please uninstall it.
ph v.1.0.0 << Hidden Warning! This software is no longer supported. Please uninstall it.

FOUND the uninstall strings, gone now

• Root Admin

Please go into Safe Mode and modify these settings.

Windows Defender:
==============
WinDefend Service is not running. Checking service configuration:
The start type of WinDefend service is set to Demand. The default start type is Auto.
The ImagePath of WinDefend: ""C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform\4.18.2301.6-0\MsMpEng.exe"".

Windows Defender Disabled Policy:
==========================
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender]
"DisableAntiSpyware"=DWORD:1

Set the DWORD to 0

Thanks @mtjoeng

18 hours ago, mtjoeng said:

FOUND the uninstall strings, gone now

I think this fixed my Malwarebytes 'Web Protection' DNS problems
These are leftovers from who knows what installation
Fingers crossed ...

• Root Admin
52 minutes ago, mtjoeng said:

Windows Defender is off because Malwarebytes is installed
Virus & threat protection settings: No action needed.
"You're using other antivirus providers."
Real-time protection off (from defender)

I'm sorry, but no it does not disable Windows Defender and it does not modify those specific Registry keys.

If those Registry keys are being modified then something is still wrong.

If you're okay though and don't want further assistance, please let me know and I can go ahead and close your topic for you then @mtjoeng

Thanks

• Root Admin

It is not a matter of switch on Windows Defender.

Something is setting registry values to block or disable Windows Defender and it is not Malwarebytes. SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH YOUR COMPUTER if it's doing that on it's own.

Malwarebytes does not break Windows DNS unless something has gone wrong possibly with the install. About a year ago we had a rule that was causing some issues but it was not breaking all of DNS.