Frequency illusion

AdvancedSetup

• Root Admin

555 Timer IC - Déjà vu

The number 555 always brings up the 555 timer IC from when I was back getting my electronics degree. I posted an off-topic to another post but then I have recently run into a few other items where I've noticed over the past week where the number 555 was in it.

aka Frequency illusion

Frequency illusion, also known as the Baader–Meinhof phenomenon or frequency bias, is a cognitive bias in which, after noticing something for the first time, there is a tendency to notice it more often, leading someone to believe that it has an increased frequency of occurrence.

image.png 

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

My son in law has a whole book on this subject and was eager to show me his numbers. I've been struck by a new phenomenon lately, that of Synchronicity.  This has been true particularly between my daughter and myself for 40 years. Less so with others, maybe once or twice a year. So imagine my surprise when the root admin posted retro song(s) by a classic artist, the exact same song(s) I'd been listening to for 3 days straight.

• Root Admin

Well, at this point I'm probably going to bail on this topic. Was meant for a fun whimsical post, but please carry on if others do wish to get into the psychology behind all of this. I've read so much on the subject of psychology I'm burned out with it at this point.

Cheers

• Sad 1

@nukecad just went back into this to check out the link & recognized a trend I'd seen before. Those "spiritual" perspectives seem to follow trends which change every 5 years.

@AdvancedSetup you know that I'm attuned to biases of all kinds, and this one has run it's course. Not that I don't believe it, the wholehearted focus (in my life) has dimmed. I always like the academic reference with source attribution. The key point now is awareness because it brings responsibility for personal behavior into view. 

@Excession sometimes I get thoughtless and post things impulsively. I'll leave my daughter out of this.