Malwarebytes issues with updates

We have 3 home computers all running Windows 7 and 2.2.1.1043 ( Premium) - and all have run Malwarebytes faultlessly for a large number of years BUT its all come to a crashing halt with the ending of updates to this version. 

Our licences keep changing and trying to activate Free/Premium says -" you must connect to the internet to do this"  - and we have lost all malware and malicious website protection 

So I guess the advice to all this is to update to Version 4.X ???? ....... and hope we dont trash our computers ......so maybe you can please post the stepwise detailed advice to do this 

8 minutes ago, badcat said:

So I guess the advice to all this is to update to Version 4.X ???? ..

Yes it is.

You have to have a FULLY updated version of your Windows 7 to use the current version of Malwarebytes.

You need to make note of your license key for Ver 2. I would make sure it is registered in your my.malwarebytes.com account as well.

Uninstall ver 2 and then you can use the following installer to install ver 4. https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb4_offline

Then you activate with your key. Activate your subscription in Malwarebytes for Windows

54 minutes ago, badcat said:

Our licences keep changing and trying to activate Free/Premium says -" you must connect to the internet to do this" 

Could you explain this in more detail. Are you saying Ver 4 is now installed and are having activation issues?

If so,

Please do the following so that we may take a closer look at your installation for troubleshooting:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file
  • In the User Account Control pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation
  • Run the MBST Support Tool
  • In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced
  • In the Advanced Options, click Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine
  • A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your desktop, please upload that file on your next reply

Thanks

Edited by Porthos

7 minutes ago, badcat said:

Sorry - it keps saying I am sending spam - all still using 2.2.2.1043

Then read my first reply.

1 hour ago, badcat said:

We have 3 home computers

Each computer has to have its own license as well. That is assuming they are the old lifetime ones.

Edited by Porthos

19 minutes ago, badcat said:

I have a 3 devices all on the same subscription ....... and continued renewall of all 3 each year

That is fine. Most of the users who were/are using Ver 2 were on the old lifetime license and many were confused about the license terms. That is why I mentioned it.

Be sure to deactivate the subscription on the computers before uninstalling ver 2 and replacing it with ver 4.

• Root Admin

The version 2.x was discontinued. There will not be any updates going forward.

If you wish to run the latest product, please follow the instructions from @Porthos and our latest version is still supported on Windows 7

Please see the following for help with updating Windows 7 if needed

Thank you @badcat

Thanks Porthos - for all 1043 users on here I just wish Malwarebytes had continued to provide updated definitions for this program and it would have alieviated all the issues me and many others on here seemed to be having 

When - if - as a computer dummy with all my emploment. medicals etc etc details on my computer  ..........I work up the courage I will see what happens with installing the new version .......

15 minutes ago, badcat said:

When - if - as a computer dummy with all my emploment. medicals etc etc details on my computer  ..........I work up the courage I will see what happens with installing the new version .......

At the minimum set a system restore point before proceeding with the new ver install. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w_-uRO0TD4   With that type of important info, I suggest you invest in an external drive and make IMAGE backups of the system. I personally use and recommend Macruim reflect. They have a free version.

• Like 1

• Root Admin

Backup Software
https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/136226-backup-software

Data Backup Software

How to Create a Full-Disk Backup of Your PC with Macrium Reflect
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/7363/macrium-reflect-is-a-free-and-easy-to-use-backup-utility/

How to create a full backup of Windows 10 using Macrium Reflect
https://pureinfotech.com/create-backup-windows-10-macrium-reflect/

Cloning a disk using Macrium Reflect 8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSdSNAjmdDg

Configuring a backup with Macrium Reflect 8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwc01y9Ggzs

Macrium Drive Image and Restore
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO9gCwQjBSo

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Updated information

Hi again Porthos and Advanced Setup - OK followed all your advice and installed 4.5.14

All seems OK - but the only thing I have yet to correct is  " Exploit Protection is turned OFF"   ....... I tried to turn it ON - but it just says PENDING and little circle keeps endlessly whizing around 

Any ideas to fix it ?????

- 

47 minutes ago, badcat said:

Any ideas to fix it ?????

Please do the following so that we may take a closer look at your installation for troubleshooting:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file
  • In the User Account Control pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation
  • Run the MBST Support Tool
  • In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced
  • In the Advanced Options, click Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine
  • A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your desktop, please upload that file on your next reply

Thanks

On 9/25/2022 at 12:24 PM, Porthos said:

I would leave the defaults as they are.

Hi again Pothos 

OK I have managed to get 2 of the 3 home computers updated from V2 to V4 

However computer number 3 ( the wives )  has this week gone from Premium to Free - and I have tried to reactivate it back but keeps saying - "you musy be conncted to the internet to activate your license '  ...... 

i have enclosed MSToolL zip - and hopefully you will find out whats wrong 

mbst-grab-results.zip

53 minutes ago, badcat said:

However computer number 3 ( the wives )  has this week gone from Premium to Free - and I have tried to reactivate it back but keeps saying - "you musy be conncted to the internet to activate your license '

You need to uninstall both of these before you try to install the new version.

Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit version 1.13.1.443
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 2.2.1.1043

• Like 1